Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
adverb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
On a Diet, A lightweight KLR650 Naked Streetfighter Project.

Just wanted to show you guys a project I have been working on. Inspired partly by SamM's KLR650 lightening project, I wanted to shed some weight from the beast. I also wanted to make it uniquely mine. I haven't weighed it, but I would conservatively say I removed 40-50 lbs worth of unnecessary plastic and metal. For the first time since I have owned the bike, even after jetting and exhaust, she will finally pull the front wheel off the ground. Let me know what you think.

By the way. Any KLR650 owners out there. My main concern with doing this mod was losing all the perceived wind protection I had. In which case I probably should have started with a DR650. I tried to get away with using as many stock parts as possible. I was going to just leave the front fairing and gauges as strip everything else. It looked horrible. I also made the mistake of cutting away part of the front metal assembly which held it all together (will explain more later). I just finished the bike last night. I took it for about a 10 mile ride this morning and I can tell you that there is very little, if any difference in wind protection as it is set up now. It is certainly not enough to warrant not doing this to your own bike if you have been contemplating it. The benefits gained by making it so much lighter far outweigh any fears you may have. It rides like a whole new bike, it's incredible. If I would have taken all the plastics off when they were in good condition, and not cut any of the factory supports, I could have sold all of it and for much more than just the gauges, headlight assemble, and rear rack like I did. As it is, I still broke even. You could make money if you sold everything in tacked. I now have the all the great things that are a KLR, like water cooling and its better road manners, combined with the lighter weight that make a DR650 and viable option. Win win.

Small warning to anybody out there doing the X2 headlight on stocks forks. The steering lock under the key ignition switch gets in the way of the rear of the headlight. It prohibits it from tilting back far enough to get light shinning up where it needs to be. I had to remove my steering lock. As you can imagine, is does not want to be removed. It also holds the whole structure together. I had to do some pretty serious rigging to get it all back together, and I'm certain it no longer has any semblance of wateproofness. I will deal with that at a later date though.

*UPDATE - 11/2014*

Burned up the valves at around 20 thousand miles. I had always told myself that when I blew it up, I would rebuild the engine to its maximum potential. That process started just over a month ago, and I plan on getting the bike back in the next week. Engine upgrades include an Eagle Mike 719 piston kit.
Full head work including port and polish, and shaving to increase compression. Decided on stock valves and springs per my engine builders advice to preserve reliability, but very hot cams to get the necessary flow. After everything is put back together it will be fully dyno tuned. I've already removed the airbox and run just a pod filter directly on the carb. I run the stock header with an after market pipe. The builder's goal was around 12.5 to 1 compression versus the stock 9.5 to 1. If things go as planned, and conjunction with the other engine upgrades, that should net me somewhere approaching 60hp and 50lbs of torque. I'll have dyno charts to show next week to see if he got anywhere close.

Below is the bike in various levels of mod.

DSCF1881

P9262696

P9262704

PA123642

adverb screwed with this post 11-15-2014 at 02:41 PM
adverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
You know, I really kind of like it! I looks quite utilitarian and efficient.

How do you use the bike?
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
adverb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mostly just ride it on the street at the moment. I did a lot of trail riding when I first got it though, and I plan on doing it again now that it's so much lighter. I had destroyed most of the plastic on it, hence wanting to get rid of it all. Before I take it back into any serious terrain I will need to get crash bars, or I have contemplated getting the new IMS 10 gallon tank http://goo.gl/83AHQ. That would eliminate the need for crash guards, and give me 500 mile + range. It was a very capable bike, stock. Before the mods I did all but the double black diamonds trails at our nearby OHV trails. I imagine it is much more manageable now.

adverb screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 03:35 PM
Old 10-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
DAMN!!! That is beautiful! We need some videos of it. Probabily one of the best looking klr's on this fourm.
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Very nice.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
adverb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, after doing some highway miles this weekend I'm going to have to report that I did lose some wind protection. It's nothing a windshield won't fix (new project!), and it certainly doesn't outweigh the performance upgrade. It really is a whole new bike. I love the way it looks, and rides.

I will be tucking the battery up under the seat on its side tomorrow. Will post new pics when done.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,419
KLR bobber

I dig it, looks good.

Well played.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
debmark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Awsome!! Looks great!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,788
If you wanna ditch that big boat anchor of a battery, http://www.testsycl.com/

I have one in my Husky TE610 and it is about the sice of 6 D cells, but it works well so far!

Your bike looks good!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
adverb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

If i can't accomplished what I have in mind, that might be and option CA, thanks.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,531
You need to secure that rear brake line to the top of the swingarm.

How to you like that X2 HID? I'm highly considering that for my dualsport.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
adverb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I love it. It is dead simple to install, and it throws good light.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
If you wanna ditch that big boat anchor of a battery, http://www.testsycl.com/

I have one in my Husky TE610 and it is about the sice of 6 D cells, but it works well so far!

Your bike looks good!

I was gonna say the same thing, the size and weight of the 12 cell I just bought from those guys makes me giggle when I look at it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
adverb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I turned the battery on it's side and moved it back under the seat last night. Much better!
I've got some Tusk aluminum hand-guards going on today with some BMW GS plastic shields.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Close-ups of your air filter setup?

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote