User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
i'm "that guy" in my group of friends/acquaintances

just yesterday i got free beer all afternoon for going to look at a motorcycle for an old buddy from highschool. I did a quick CL search and found like 10 better bikes at better prices. he said "i'm just gonna give you the money and you can just buy whatever"

one of my best friends rode my bike around the block and immediately went out that day and bought a motorcycle lol

When my friends learn how cheap it is to ride and how much fun it can be they all end up buying or at least lusting over motorcycles.

I love being "that guy"
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #17
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please log in View Post
When my friends learn how cheap it is to ride and how much fun it can be they all end up buying or at least lusting over motorcycles.
Nothing about riding has been cheap for me, motorcycles have been the most expensive thing in my life. Then again I've had 14 bikes in the last 12 years. There's something that just feels right about having a garage full of motos.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Didja ride MX without a helmet too?
No, I at least wore a helmet in the dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
this reads like a summary of every Harley rider caricature ever posted on advrider...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
That's because the general majority of them, hence the term 'generalization', are exactly like that guy. They have bought hook-line-sinker the idea that engine size corresponds to speed and power, that gear is hot and uncomfortable, and that HD is the "real man's bike". This whole scene is what HD has been perpetuating for the last 30+ years. It's kind of pathetic really. HD riders (in general) live in a world full of blissful ignorance.
Yep. 10 years ago my dad 'knew' that a 883 sportster was faster than a 600 sport bike, a 1200 sportster was faster than a liter bike, and a twin cam with pipes was faster than a Hayabusa.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
hmmwv15
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
I got someone on a honda instead of a harley. Enough of a success for me I guess...
hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #20
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehomealien View Post
1. 500cc is too much for a learner. Why? It's not the power, it's the weight. Even a tame 500cc motor in the control of a restrained rider is attached to an intimidatingly heavy machine.
Until a few years ago the Suzuki GS 500 was the default learner bike for every driving school in Germany, and since then they have moved up to the watercooled 600ccm bikes - Yamaha FZ6, Honda CB 600 F, Kawasaki Ninja 650. I don't think there are major problems, OTOH they are all ridden in the restricted 34HP version (tiered license).

But a lighter bike is of course better, especially in the first few hours.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #21
thehomealien
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
Until a few years ago the Suzuki GS 500 was the default learner bike for every driving school in Germany, and since then they have moved up to the watercooled 600ccm bikes - Yamaha FZ6, Honda CB 600 F, Kawasaki Ninja 650. I don't think there are major problems, OTOH they are all ridden in the restricted 34HP version (tiered license).

But a lighter bike is of course better, especially in the first few hours.
We Americans have the idea that you Germans are very large tall and strong. Perhaps that is part of it?

Also, the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class in America uses 125-250cc machines, so the transition to a 500cc machine can be a bit of a shock. Maybe the MSF class could consider copying the German model to make the transition easier? The fact is (and MSF must understand this), most riders buy a 500cc+ machine anyway, so maybe the class should teach to this level of weight and power.

thehomealien screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 01:30 PM Reason: is that better, DAKEZ?
thehomealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Friend with fresh license was looking at buying one of those "cool 600cc sportsbikes" but after much debate I managed to at least haggle him down to a naked Street Triple.

Today he thanks me for that and he still has the same bike after 4 years! He simply loves it and while he's tried other bikes there's nothing he really wants to trade it for. And like I was arguing 4 years ago he agrees with me that naked bikes are healthy for you...

The lack of fairing keeps the speed down and wide bars are better "in the real world" - outside the racing track.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please log in View Post
When my friends learn how cheap it is to ride

Quote:
We Americans have the idea that you Germans are very large.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 10:30 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
Also, the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class in America uses 125-250cc machines, so the transition to a 500cc machine can be a bit of a shock. Maybe the MSF class could consider copying the German model to make the transition easier?
I'll go out on a limb and suggest the German "beginning rider" class is taught a lot different than anything similar in the USA.

Physical size of the machines aside, putting a dozen "never ridden anything before" students on 500cc bikes in a parking lot and expecting them all to be demonstrating reasonable control in an hour (which we do now) is a pipe dream. There would be a lot more crashes, injuries, and fatalities, because you pretty much have to take any student that signs up, and some of those have no business being on a motorcycle.

It's kind of a Catch 22. It'd be nice to make the training tougher, but the students we get now think it's hard, and almost none of them come back for more training because they think they know enough after one weekend. And if you send them home... the 'merkin mindset will make the most stubborn ones decide to try it anyway, where I suspect most Europeans would give up. (Feedback from Europe, anyone?)

I'm increasingly of a belief that the average 'merkin vehicle operator (6 wheels or fewer) has no idea where that vehicle's primary safety device is.

dwoodward screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 12:49 PM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
OOOH! OOOH!

Is it the brass nuts that hold the handlebar?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #26
thehomealien
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Quote:
We Americans have the idea that you Germans are very large tall and strong.
Is that better, DAKEZ? Tall and strong?
thehomealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,138
The only time I can recall anyone taking my advice about motorcycles was when a friend asked me about his son's desire to get a Ninja 250 as a first bike. He heard the name "Ninja" and saw the bike and assumed it was meant for hell raising. I told him it was actually a very often recommended choice as a first bike, and that an irresponsible rider can raise hell on just about any bike if they're so inclined. He seemed re-assured.

Other than that, most people ask me what I think AFTER they've made their choice. In those cases, I just tell them I genuinely hope they enjoy the bike.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
pfloydgad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Thumb One Confused Dad

I was eating a samich at Subway last summer when a very cute girl parked her Suzuki 500 right next to my Concours. She had on a FF helmet and wore gloves, but had shorts and tennis shoes on, and no jacket, just a t-shirt.
It was a warm day, but I am still in my riding pants, and boots, as well as my armoured jacket, my HJC helmet and riding gloves. I'm sitting at an outside picnic area and after she got her salad she sat down at a table beside mine. I guessed her at about 19 or 20, and asked her how long she has been riding, and asked if she would like to join me at my table.
She gave a big smile and joined me, and as we ate and talked motorcycles, it became clear that her Dad, who was giving her advice was a complete dumbass.
He actually told this darling little angel that a FF helmet would break her neck in an accident. I almost choked on my sammich with that one, and my response to that claim was a question for her Dad. I told her to ask him how much he loved her. She just giggled and we continued talking. After our 20 minutes or so, she was comvinced that the ATGATT concept really was the correct way for new rider to ride. She had taken the MSF course a few weeks back, and was slowly building her skills.
I told her about a ride for that weekend that would be a perfect way to see how multiple riders ride together, gave her my e-mail and phone number and told her if she ever had a question to drop me a note or give me a call.
She called me on that Fri' and wanted to verify that I was still going to the ride I told her about. I said yes and she told me her Dad wanted to meet me. The ride group of about 15 people met up at a restraunt down the road on Sat. morning, I got there early so I could get a coffee and donut and following me in is the girl and her Dad. They parked right next to me, she beside me and him beside her. She parked just fine, he put his foot down on some gravel and dumped his Tour Glide right on its left side. He bailed out to his left and did a header on a car in the next parking space. He hit just above his left eye, and it opened up a cut like a boxer just punched him. He bled like a stuck hog and was just laying on the ground with his HD on its side. I go over and right his bike to give us some room to check him out. He is dizzy and bleeding pretty good and not really in very good shape. The girl was of course concerned about her Dad, but did ask him if he might consider a helmet?
He ended up going with the squad to the hospital, his wife met him at the hospital and we left his bike at the restraunt. The daughter , after talking with her dad before he went in the squad, decided to join our riding group and me for a days ride.
After the ride I did ride with her home and checked in on her Dad. He thanked me for my help, and my watching out for his little girl on the ride. She ripped him a good one about gear, which she has decided from seeing me and all our riders ion this ride that gear really is important, and the right gear is priceless.
I always preach ATGATT, just because. My $.02
Ride safe all.
Greg
pfloydgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
So he somehow lost his soul in that wreck?!

My god, good friends don't let friends ride Can Am Spyders...

He'd save some of his manhood if he just admitted his own wrongdoing, went to a 250 to 450cc road bike and learned to enjoy curves in the road while, at the same time, learned to stop basing his riding and driving actions off of other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoBiker View Post

He keeps talking about getting a Can-Am Spyder as the used prices come down, so he's not entirely out of riding. The best part (in my opinion) is that he knows the importance of gear.
I don't hate Can Am's ... until I see them on the highway. Stomach-churning lane-hogs of glorified wheelchair-ness... or something.

-------------

Re: advice - it's funny, but the fair-weather riders at work who ride 1/10th to 1/30th as much as I do seem to be the ones who give out 97% of the advice. I won't help a potential rider unless they come to me to ask. I don't want it on my conscience that I got them to ride; that's already turned out for the worse with a few buddies and I for another friend of ours. R.I.P Mike.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 03:26 PM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Is that better, DAKEZ? Tall and strong?