Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Turborob OP
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 578
Puke Kath and Rob's VIC weekend ride. Not much happens.

If you’re looking for a long distance, hard-core ride; hit your browser’s ‘back’ button. This shit is only as tough as a wet tissue and about as long as a short piece of brown twine. It’s about as gangster as a Tupperware party.

Still here? Wow.
This is merely a just a short report on our weekend jaunt in Victoria upon our trusty Kawasakis. It may provide a little information about a sweet campsite, but not too much else. It’s also got plenty of Kath’s photography; her recent birthday scored her a new camera and a new enthusiasm for photography.

With housework on the backburner, we left the Wodonga area. We were aiming at being budget friendly, and set our sights on camp 142.

Sounds nice!

We took Gundowring Rd south instead of the highway. Surprisingly, ‘The Bear’ (Peter Thoeming) had this road as one of the top 100 in Australia. Simply a nice back-road.

It was 30+ degrees.

Though a nice day, none-the-less.

Cleaned the muck off the Sherpa, it seems to like to wet itself.

All was going to plan until we came upon our one weakness; a brewery. We stumbled across Sweet Water Brewing Company which has been open four weeks.

Owner’s a good guy, and makes a nice drop. Nothing too hoppy or offensive, but far better than any from Lion Nathan etc. Discussing our plans, he informed us of a free campsite, where we can light a fire and that’s by a creek you can drink from…..didn’t take long to realise that said location was our calling. It was also on our planned route home. We planned on taking an approximately 40km dirt road between Tawonga and Mitta Mitta, weaving its way through the mountains. From my uneducated elevation guesstimates, you’re up well over 1000m, as we were camping only 8kms from Mt Bogong (Vic’s highest mountain at 1986m).

So, after a few beers, we left to check out the suggested campsite. Just as described….

Also, the water.

We ‘dipped’ in the water, it was mighty fresh! We also drank from it – can’t recall the last time I’ve drank from a stream (yep, not much of a bushman).

A KLR, DR and an orange thing rode past while we were dipping.

Most surprisingly, a cruiser came down the road – it made us feel incredibly confident about the upcoming dirt road!
We decided to go and get some dinner and breakfast from town; sadly leaving this….

Shopping, and then we couldn’t go past the brewery again….

With a few vessels on board, Kath was daydreaming….

We returned, and ate dinner. As we had some food which needed refrigeration, and no fridge, I thought to drape it in the water, double bagged. My thoughts were that it would float, and stay desirably cool. We would find out if it worked in the morning…..

Fire time.

Kath had a camera fiddle…..

We were both stuffed, and we thought we forgot the torch, so we bedded early. Feral cats provided the soundtrack to attempt to drift away to….

Morning!

We packed and went to check our ‘fridge’. A small hole was in the bags and the ham stolen! To insult us, they had left the dip and pasta salad untouched. What’s wrong with our dietary choices, alpine animals?

Once sorted, we were on the road.

It climbed.
It was attractive.

The surface is pretty rocky and the fella on the cruiser was tougher than us, we wouldn’t even want to take the cage along this road!

A top road, which eventually flattens and straightens out.

Mitta Mitta for fuel and a bacon and egg roll. Given how good this township looks, it be next on our ‘to camp’ list.
We then took the Omeo Highway back home; what a great road ride. The roadie may get a spin soon!

Well, that’s it. Far from anything spectacular, but that’s what happens on a weekend with housework due. Surprised you stuck around this long, but we hope you enjoyed it. For the good of mankind, I’ve omitted pictures of floor cleaning and mowing.

Rob + Kath.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,530
nice report
thanks for sharing

great to see the green bikes having some adventures
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
duckslider
unintentionaldrifter

Oddometer: 2,722
Great report Rob + Kath!Good roads,Nice camp spot,and beers at a brewery.................sensational
Wash it? It's a workhorse,not a bloody showpony.
duckslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,553
Good to see you & Kath still out & about on the bikes...good camera work Kath.

Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 813
Nice shots - hope the beer and water tasted as good as they looked.
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,497

What a great adventure

Just goes to remind us that we should stop & "sniff the roses" sometimes, instead of charging straight past, as we usually do.

Of course good company helps

Cheers
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
simandlee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
great pics and I bet that swim was good after the 30C+ ride. Hmmm, the beer looked soo good. Can't wait to try riding overr there.
simandlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,441
Great stuff, guys. Glad to see you've found a new watering hole not far from home. Happy Birthday to you, Kath. Sounds like you're both enjoying the new area. How's your cloth eared boy settled in?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
Scaredofthedirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Hey Kath and Rob,

Thanks for the heads up on the brewery.

I paid a visit two weekends ago.

Great caravan/cabin park across the road, excellent beer and killer pizza at the cafe down the road.
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote