User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Honda parts interchangeability

I have been thinking (and it hurt) with these Honda big singles, XL600's XR600's and 650's etc, does anyone have anyidea about what fits what?
I mean, I have a XL600LMF, if my head cracks can I fit a XL600R head? Wheels? My gold coloured wheels are delaminating on the inside, can I fit the silver wheels fitted to the others?.

Any other bits you may know of?
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
txmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thats a great question. Especially as i debate my next thumper purchase...

Someone here has to know..
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

Or maybe as a collective we can get a list together?

Come on guys, put your thinking caps on.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

No one? Nothing?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

Oh come on! 137 views and NO ONE knows anything they can add? Even if 'nothing is inter changeable' .

Please....
Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
Bones750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
With some of the Hondas it seems to vary from model to model. I ride a smaller 230 and within that line it seems as though what you'd think to be direct replacement often isn't and vice-versa. Also a lot of retailers will list parts assuming they are interchangeable and they often aren't. Only through the forums do you often avoid mistakes and frustrations. There are numerous retailers selling parts listed to fit a CRF230L, M or F when in fact they only fit the F. Forums can be your friends.
Bones750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Well, we never got the XL600LMF over here, so I couldn't tell you about parts fitment specifically to it.
However, I do know a little of engine parts interchange between the 1983-1987 RFVC 500/600 bikes.
The heads, camshafts, rockers, rocker cover assembly will all interchange. The XL cams have a tachometer drive gear machined into them--the XRs don't.
The early heads had a small 5th valve that acted as the auto-decomp where the later ('85 up I believe) opened the right exhaust valve. They both were operated via cable from the kick starter. The '83 XL600 had a reed valve on top of the intake ports under the rocker cover that was used as a transfer passage from the left (primary) port to the right (secondary) port to allow fuel to be drawn to the right valve under idle and low throttle openings. This was changed the following year to a passage cast in the head between the two intake ports. No reed valve was used. Also the '83 XL head had the biggest intake ports.
Cylinders will interchange between the XL600 and XR600. You may have to bore the cases on the XR to receive the larger 100mm cylinder bore though. I had to when I installed an XL600 cylinder to a '96 XR600. Standard bores are different with the XL being 100mm and the XR 97mm.
The head bolts are a little smaller in diameter and length in the '83-'87 bikes. BUT, with a little camchain and guide swapping and flipping the cam sprocket over it's possible to install the entire dual-carb top end to the '91 and up XR600 and XR650L. Check my build here if you haven't seen it. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/503...xr650l-hybrid/
Oil pumps interchange and are the same for the XR650L. Clutch and stator covers will all physically bolt on.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,786
What I learned about XL600's from constantly trying to turn mine into an XR is that surprisingly few chassis parts swapped over from XR's. But the early engine parts seemed to be pretty much interchangeable. I have no idea about the XR650L's.

The XR is a non-cush hub. So the swingarm, linkage, shock, wheel assembly and brake are all different. I never got around to fooling with the forks. My XL had an XR remote reservoir shock and I constantly fought with that trying to get it mounted right. There just wasn't room for the reservoir.

The XL has a rather complicated front brake hose arrangement with both ssteel and rubber bits. The XR is a straight hose. So there are also differences at the front. A later model XR cartridge fork was a planned upgrade on mine. But, like i said, I never got to the forks and triple clamps.

Also the head pipe from an XR was not a direct fit onto my XL frame and muffler. I did get that to work by monkeying around with it and doing some work on the mounting points. Gas tanks are also very different. I think the seats and mounting points are also different. The airbox is also different.

So the XR600 and XL600 look very similar but they don't actually transfer a lot of frame parts. For the engine there was a big XR600 change when Honda went to a single carb. What else might of changed then I have no idea. But knowing how Honda over-engineers things it could be anything.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
The crankshaft assemblies will interchange as well between the XL and XR. It's important to keep the correct piston to the crankshaft since the XL has a relatively short 75mm stroke compared to the XRs 80mm.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

Excellent, this is what I wanted to read!!

I will try to describe the LMF as best I can. It is a RVFC 600 painted Red 97mm bore x 80mm stroke,
cam timing intake open/close 5 deg BTDC/40 deg ABCD
exhaust open/close 55deg BBDC/5 deg ATDC

Hope that helps..

Oh yes, it is also Electric and kick start.

Billtr96sn screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 08:17 AM Reason: starting.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #11
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

Anymore from anyone?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Why it Fits

Having an XR, I can tell you that not as much is interchangeable as you might think. Super generic stuff fits, and while the XR is obviously an evolution of the XL, very little interchanges. Some core inerts fit, but the XR again evolved. So people look for the XL guts when they want to ass a kickstarter to their XR. Wheels don't because the XR is disc vs XL drum. Rims might, but only if you de-spoke. So like sprockets and insides like timing chain sets might be the same but head specifics are different. Most of the XR improvements won't just snap on to an XL. There's enough XRs out there just go find one and you'll be miles ahead.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Excellent, this is what I wanted to read!!

I will try to describe the LMF as best I can. It is a RVFC 600 painted Red 97mm bore x 80mm stroke,
cam timing intake open/close 5 deg BTDC/40 deg ABCD
exhaust open/close 55deg BBDC/5 deg ATDC

Hope that helps..

Oh yes, it is also Electric and kick start.
It's not that easy...

Fyi- NONE of the data you provided from your bike's engine is of any use whatsoever when it comes to parts interchangeability.

ie: for any cylinder's bore and stroke, there are beaucoups variations in obvious things like the piston-pin height/size, ring package, combustion pocket geometry, yada & more yada. Raw bore and stroke dimensions reveal only the swept displacement, nothing more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Anymore from anyone?

Honda is notorius for changing parts just because they can.... if you want to find out for certain about parts cross-compatability, the best (and only safe) way to find out is to start checking part numbers via the parts CD/fiche. Getting "opinions" in a forum about said compatabilties is a real toss of the dice.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Billtr96sn OP
Flange Furtler

Oh well.

I only put the valve timing and bore and stroke figures there to maybe help people recognise something that may be similar.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
Here's how you find out.

Go to www.powersportsplus.com and look up your bike on the OEM parts tab at the top of the screen. Again, use the OEM parts tab at the top not the little window down below. Just select the year and model you want to research. Then, on the parts diagrams, click on any part number. That will show you any and all other applications that part fits
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote