ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
Navin,

Been following this thread. I too experienced the exact same sag and stiff ride with the stock setup. I'm 6'3", 195lbs. I took it to Superplush in SF, and was told that while the springs are pretty stiff, the main problem is valving. Apparently the fluid just can't flow, and the spring doesn't even get a chance to work. So I got it revalved and I already notice a smoother ride and more give from the rear shock over potholes. I hesitated to post yet because i have only a few city miles on it, but I will be testing it out thoroughly at the end of the month in Death Valley. I will have more to report then. Superplush said that if it was still too stiff after that to come back and they will swap in some softer springs front and rear. I will report back March 1, but I think re-valving is a must no matter what the spring rates. Just my 2 cents.

Jim
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #32
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Thanks, mine was revalved for more rebound damping and less compression. Exactly what he did I don't have specific stack details. My guy said we may be back in there to get it right too, it is his first SE . Test and tune right?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
Report from my Death Valley ride: Even loaded with camping gear and 7.9 gallons of gas, the front and rear are still a bit too stiff. Revalve has been great, but suspension only moved as desired when clearing some air. Nowhere near bottoming out at any time. Probably 4 inches or more of travel completely unused.

I came from a xr650r and I was probably WAY too heavy for the stock springs on that bike. ( I read somewhere that bike was setup stock for a 140lb rider!) However, it really did hook up beautifully on all dirt/gravel/whoops, even if it rocked a bit like a rocking horse at stop signs. I can't even describe the way it floated like a cloud over the rough roads of Baja. Ride was softer and smoother and better on dirt than pavement.

Just looking for the perfect in-between setup on this bike, and so I'm going to go with at least one size softer springs in front (would that be .52s? .50s?), two softer in back (11.4kg?). I'll report back in a few weeks when I get around to it. I'm no table-top jumper or high flying moto-crosser who bottoms out on landings; I just want a softer "adventure bike" ride that hooks up like it should on dirt and lets the rebound/dampening adjustments actually do what they are designed to do.

SFKLR screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 07:54 PM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
Unkgd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Too much compression ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Report from my Death Valley ride: Even loaded with camping gear and 7.9 gallons of gas, the front and rear are still a bit too stiff. Revalve has been great, but suspension only moved as desired when clearing some air. Nowhere near bottoming out at any time. Probably 4 inches or more of travel completely unused.

I came from a xr650r and I was probably WAY too heavy for the stock springs on that bike. ( I read somewhere that bike was setup stock for a 140lb rider!) However, it really did hook up beautifully on all dirt/gravel/whoops, even if it rocked a bit like a rocking horse at stop signs. I can't even describe the way it floated like a cloud over the rough roads of Baja. Ride was softer and smoother and better on dirt than pavement.

Just looking for the perfect in-between setup on this bike, and so I'm going to go with at least one size softer springs in front (would that be .52s? .50s?), two softer in back (11.4kg?). I'll report back in a few weeks when I get around to it. I'm no table-top jumper or high flying moto-crosser who bottoms out on landings; I just want a softer "adventure bike" ride that hooks up like it should on dirt and lets the rebound/dampening adjustments actually do what they are designed to do.
If I remember correctly - you were at the Altrider event in Pahrump/Soshone - so I am pretty sure you ride at least as agressively as I do. I weigh about 230 kitted up and I am still bottoming out the front forks with .64 springs.

Out of curiousity - what do you have your front fork compression set at? I am running about 12 clicks of compression and find the front end very compliant - much more than when it had the .54 springs and 18 clicks of compression.
Just a thought.

DId you stay for the ADV session of Jimmy's class on Sunday and Monday? I had wanted to go - but work intervened. This is the second Jimmy Lewis class that I wanted to go to that I had to miss.
Unkgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #35
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post

The SE has crazy stiff front high speed valving. Everything else is fine stock.
Try the complete adv-R sim stack on the front and keep the stock springs and oil height. The rear works fine as it is. At least for my 220 weight. Some just change the oil weight for 2W and call it a day.
I use stock preload on the back with sport settings and -4 turns preload on the front with about -10 compression and rebound dampening. This setting works very well both on and off the road. I'm sure it can be further improved, but haven't felt the need to do so.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #36
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 697
Well..... I finally got around to measuring again, this time with a helper. I started like this with my tape measure zip tied to my Dirt Bagz mount over the axle.

Bike on the stand.

Bike on the floor, no rider. 2 5/8" sag

Bike with me on it. 185# in street cloths. Additional 1 3/8 sag for a total of 4"
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #37
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Was that supposed to be a stock spring kanur? I can't get there with a 12kg spring! 200 lbs.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #38
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 697
I'm the second owner of the bike and the first owner was a big guy. He said the only thing he had done to it was put the Akras on it.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #39
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wonder how they can be so far apart, yours & mine? Wierd.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #40
number13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Wonder how they can be so far apart, yours & mine? Wierd.
Were you both wearing full riding gear when measuring rider on?
number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #41
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

I do all my sag settings in street clothes, always gets me in the zone. Looks like he did the same. Thing is, I'm 15 lbs heavier than him anyway and can't get his #s with zero preload. His 2-2 Akras aren't enough of a difference from my 2-1 FMF to cover that difference. Even with a 12kg spring and zero preload I'm showing far less sag.

kanur, do you know how many mm of preload you have on the spring?

With stock spring I was race sagging at 2-7/8" with no preload on the spring.

Same zero preload on the 12kg and I'm now at 3.35" race sag. At 8mm preload with the 12kg I had just over 2" race sag.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #42
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got my first test ride today at the MX track. 30 minutes in the rear was bottoming badly and started kicking. Back to the pits to find oil all over the lower shock mount and no bottoming snubber on the shaft. Bummer, forks felt good though.

Anyone ever have a bottoming cone just blow off?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #43
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Here are my numbers. 2007 SE 950, I weight 265 lbs and have a 130 rear spring
40mm if static sag
a total of 90mm with me on the bike.

What are the number supposed to be? Thanks, Bruce
bruceca2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #44
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,976
Thanks for starting this thread Navin. I'm getting ready to dig into my suspension and start with setting the sag to see where I'm at. The bought the bike with the Superplush treatment already done but I'm not really liking it. Did some high speed quad trail riding in in West Virginia and was missing the stock suspension that was on my old SE. Without gear, I'm less than 2 3/4" of race sag. I think you're an A rider, so I know you're a much more aggressive rider than I am, so I look forward to your results.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm lost, nobody ever gets consistant sag results on this bike. WTF?

A 265lbs rider with a 130 spring is hitting 3.54" of race sag and a 185lbs rider gets 4" on a stock 14??? I'm 200 and on a stock spring I can't get 3"? I'mnot understanding the numbers we are generating.

As to what is ideal, that was what we were seeking. General suspension rules lead you to 1/3rd total wheel travel for race sag. What is really best at this point I have no idea and all our info means nothing if we can't get 2 bikes to even give the same results.

On a lighter note, my newly revalved/rebuild shock went back on for 30 minutes and was leaking and bottoming badly. I returned it to the dealer who informs me the lower adjuster is frozen from dirt/contamination/time. Well, it was frozen the FIRST time I gave it to you too! I didn't check it as I never got as far as trying adjustments as it was leaking.

Where does that leave me? Apparantly holding the bill for a whole new lower shock assembly. Steam is now leaking from both ears. Can't wait to see the bill for the rebuild on the shock that they just rebuilt.