Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Navin, when you get your shock back, put the stock spring, preload it to the stock 8mm, leave it there and forget the 1/3 rule on the SE.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #47
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,491
Thanks Mous but I am not afraid of tuning, testing and making it work better. I guess I should just go back to stock valving on the forks too, even though they already work far better than before? I've ridden around the stock suspension at speed in races long enough. It wasn't terrible considering the weight but it can get alot better!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #48
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I'm with you, it can always get better I just did treie changing the preload on the rear spring and I took all the adjustment out of it and I'm still not there, so I guess I need to throw the stock spring in. The forks needed a bit more preload also. It's like shimming a hobby horse
Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #49
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Crank, do you know what weight spring you have in it now?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #50
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Crank, do you know what weight spring you have in it now?
It had a 150 in it. I put the stock spring back in and was able to get the sag to 96mm without gear, so I should be in the ballpark. The stock spring was 140.
What amazes me is that it was really stink bugging at 76mm I did a sand race in February and did pretty good with the thing set up poorly. Next time I should do even better I'm going to throw some sand whoops at it tomorrow afternoon and see whats up.

Did you end up riding the Sandy Lane enduro? I was there on my 390 running B senior and had a good time!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #51
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Thanks Mous but I am not afraid of tuning, testing and making it work better. I guess I should just go back to stock valving on the forks too, even though they already work far better than before? I've ridden around the stock suspension at speed in races long enough. It wasn't terrible considering the weight but it can get alot better!
Not saying it can't get better. All I said is that the rear shock with stock valving is not going to work according to the 1/3 laden sag rule. Try something like 1/4 - 1/5 instead.

Front stock valving is just outrageous. Anything other than that and I'm not surprised it works better.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #52
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Rear shock has been revalved too and IMO the rear was far too oversprung out of the box. I think even stock a lighter spring would have been a treat.

Missed the Sandy Lane due to the rear shock being out of service till a new lower assembly can be sourced, ordered now from KTM. It was supposed to have been rebuild and handed back to me. It was ridden for 30 minutes and leaking like crazy, take it back and now they tell me the lower adjuster is frozen. OK but it was frozen the first time you rebuilt it too, did you not fix that the first time two weeks ago???
Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #53
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

I'm 260 with gear on, so the rear spring seems perfect
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #54
Locker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
195lbs in street clothes, stock springs/valving with new Husaberg fork seals and different oil in the shock. I couldn't be happier with the results. Works well everywhere with the exception of ice which is more of a dtx set up anyway. Kinda hard to get consistant sag numbers on a bike with a 30# weight swing not to mention the 15# variable depending on exhaust.
Locker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #55
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

What sag numbers Locker?

Crank, I believe that stock spring is right on the $ for you at 260!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #56
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
2007 SE 950, I weight 265 lbs and have a 130 rear spring
40mm static sag
a total of 90mm sag with me on the bike.

So does that mean my rear spring is to soft with my numbers?
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #57
Locker43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Haven't honestly checked. AA buddy of mine (total suspension freak and same size) dialed her in and then followed me through a variety of conditions clicking as we went. The shock did end up with everything backed off which is "normal" with the oil used. As it breaks in its heading more toward the middle of the spectrum. My buddy is the one who should be talking as I'm simply a throttle/seat connector! I do know 2 turns from contact on spring but it really seems forgiving in that area?
Locker43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #58
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
2007 SE 950, I weight 265 lbs and have a 130 rear spring
40mm static sag
a total of 90mm sag with me on the bike.

So does that mean my rear spring is to soft with my numbers?

I'm thinking by conventional standards you are right in the range you want. How does it steer and are you bottoming it often? Ever?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #59
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,047
I'm still watching your adjustments Navin, as I'm in the same boat and am looking for direction.

I see some sites refer to "130" shock springs, others "14". Are these different scales? Same scales but moved decimal point? Is 130 a 13kg spring? One vendor has "13" as its softest available spring. I can't find any vendor online with any other sizes/numbers.

Kennyd recommends I go with a ".56" front springs, and "11.2 or 11.4" rear. I'm guessing I have .59(?) front and 14(?) rear. Shot in the dark, but I'm thinking about going with a .48 front (which I'm told the Adventure has), and an 11.2 rear (which is the lowest number anyone has told me is available for a rear spring.

So frustrating the lack of available information about suspension. I don't anything without thoroughly researching every consumer report, every testimonial, and every yelp review. Yet I'm still in the dark about what springs to put on my SE and how to do it. Thanks again for starting this thread.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #60
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=SFKLR;17997299]Navin,
Been following this thread. I too experienced the exact same sag and stiff ride with the stock setup. I'm 6'3", 195lbs. " quote

We are close in weight so I guess you can compare directly with my 12 kg measurments, (maybe???). If a 12kg directly equals a 120 I don't know, probably close enough but I hope Trailtricks or Superplush chimes in on that. Kennyd gave me some of his numbers too, sounds like you get alot of resistance till you just drop off down around the 11.2 iirc???

I can't give any real impressions of the Trailtrick 12kg spring as my shock is FUBAR again. I know my sag was getting closer but I doubt it was enough. Like others I was only using full travel under huge hits, like dropping 15' off a downhill double and clipping the landing. I think I could have gone lighter than the 12 but Javier though I'd be getting what I want from it. Till I get a real ride on it with the shock working I won't know for sure.