ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #61
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
Yeah, sorry to hear about your frustration there. Seems like shop should make it right. Don't they have a 30 day warranty on service? That sux.

You know, I could swear I found a thread where someone said he had a "10.5" rear spring. Can't find that thread now, wouldn't you know, but so far Kenny is the only one who has told me he sells the springs as low as 11.2. I was thinking about posting in the Fleamarket for used suspension parts someone else might have swapped out. Someone must have an unused or slightly used 11.2 laying around, yes? SE probably takes a special diameter too.

And I don't know if the adventure front springs fit an SE, but lots of people have put on stiffer springs, so i would guess there are lots of stock adv springs laying around. Look for me in the Flea soon, and let's keep sharing info.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #62
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,976
Went for a quick beat after work in some quad trails near my house. Sorry about the camera position, it's not ideal

I need to put more compression into the shock and maybe sack it out a little bit more for 105mm. The front end is a bit harsh, so I'm going to pull a bit more compression out of it. The rebound seemed pretty good. For the record, I'm just learning about this stuff, so take anything I say with a grain of salt please.

Locker's bike worked really well, it was stiff enough for my weight and stiff enough for his more aggressive riding style. I'm shooting for his set up.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #63
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Hey, incidentally, everyone talks about 8mm of pre-load. How does one measure that? Do you compress the rear spring 8mm from the collar, or do you raise the back of the bike 8mm from the axle? Vast difference between the two.

PS, Crankshaft: bare arms in Vermont in March? You using a chest-mounted Go-Pro?

SFKLR screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 04:16 PM
Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #64
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Hey, incidentally, everyone talks about 8mm of pre-load. How does one measure that? Do you compress the rear spring 8mm from the collar, or do you raise the back of the bike 8mm from the axle? Vast difference between the two.
You unscrew the collar until it barely touches the spring, then you turn it down 8mm. You need a center stand to do that. If you have no such means, then measure about 40mm of thread showing from the top of the collar. This measurement is as accurate as i could get without removing the shock.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #65
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Thanks Mousitsas.

Incidentally, to replace the rear spring, I place on center stand and undo the bottom bolt, leaving the top in place, yes? Does anyone know the torque value on re-install? Any tricks or tips to installation? Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #66
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Mousitsas.

Incidentally, to replace the rear spring, I place on center stand and undo the bottom bolt, leaving the top in place, yes? Does anyone know the torque value on re-install? Any tricks or tips to installation? Thanks again.
You're welcome.
I'm not sure if there is enough space to remove the spring if you don't remove the entire shock from the bike. But it is possible! Only slightly difficult bit in the whole procedure is to get the lower bushing aligned with the swingarm hole, as it is a pretty tight fit. WD40 and a mallet will help, as well as a magnetic tip when you remove and re-insert the bottom bolt into the side hole of the swingarm. The top bolt is piece of cake to remove so no reason not to.
If you want to be very accurate in preloading you can place a zip tie on top of the collar to have a reference as you tighten in (or measure the threaded bit above the colar)
Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #67
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Can the spring be taken off the top, leaving the bottom fastened?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #68
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:

PS, Crankshaft: bare arms in Vermont in March? You using a chest-mounted Go-Pro?
Yes sir, bare arms.... it was 75 here today I made a chest mount and I need to get the initial angle set up correctly, so you're not saring at the triple clamp. The riding area is rough as hell for some reason, which didn't help matters. I was there two weeks ago and it looked like this.....

To get the 8mm, I threaded the ring down until it made contact and then made a line on the threads with a sharpie and rotated the ring down until I was 8 mm below the line. A vernier caliper works well for this.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #69
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Can the spring be taken off the top, leaving the bottom fastened?
Spring drops from the bottom actually.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #70
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
So I changed my rear spring last night from a 130 to a 140. With the 130 I had 5mm of pre-load and on the 140 I put 8mm of pre-load. Here is the crazy part, my sag numbers are softer for both static and race sag with the 140 spring even with more pre-load. For the record these are both OEM KTM springs with 215mm in length. WTF!!! No wonder there are no consistent sag numbers!!!
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #71
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post
So I changed my rear spring last night from a 130 to a 140. With the 130 I had 5mm of pre-load and on the 140 I put 8mm of pre-load. Here is the crazy part, my sag numbers are softer for both static and race sag with the 140 spring even with more pre-load. For the record these are both OEM KTM springs with 215mm in length. WTF!!! No wonder there are no consistent sag numbers!!!
That is crazy to say the least.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #72
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,428
Yep. Kinda nukes any effort to apply "theory" to the issue, doesn't it?

I hate stuff like this.

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #73
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

There is no other explanation than a mistake on the spring stifness from KTM. Lets leave that behind and go on!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #74
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002 View Post

Poor control of spring rates at the OEM sounds likely by what I've seen in this thread alone!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #75
bruceca2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Anyone know if a 150X225mm spring off an 950 Adventure will fit a Super Enduro?
bruceca2002 is offline   Reply With Quote