ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Best H4 bulb replacement alternatives?

My low beam on the headlight is out (US headlight). I read other threads about good H4 bulb replacements. There were many recommendations for one of the PIAA alternatives, but which one???
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_H4_Bulbs.aspx

Here is a good place to do some research and buy bulbs.
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG View Post
http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_H4_Bulbs.aspx

Here is a good place to do some research and buy bulbs.
I hadn't thought about the Hellas. Thanks. What is the correct bulb, the H4 or the 9003??? Or, is there a difference?
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,341
you might be surprised that many are all the same.. private labeled.. I prefer Sylvania Super whites..
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
In my experience...

...the Silverstar Ultras are the only commonly available replacements for factory lamps that are worth trying, and at $28 or so they oughta be. On other bikes they have made some difference, more with filling in holes than getting extra distance. With the Adventure, it is almost, but not quite, a waste of time. The best benefit of buying one is that you get to keep the factory lamp as a spare...spares are good! The reflector is just crap. I am still running it but with a bi-xenon HID. Its 35 W, about $40 delivered, quite an improvement, whiter light, less amps, about 4 hours to fit if you try to do it neatly and hide your ballast in the side fairing like I did...but still, I would have hit a deer a long while back if I didnt supplement it with some LED driving lights. A 55 W HID might be better, the Euro light better again.
One thing I used to do to all my bikes in Australia was fit a 100/80W halogen bulb. I havent tried it here because you cannot generally buy them at Autozone, but they are available online at least. I put a 130/90 in the KLR600 I rode around Oz. It was a little yellow (probably taxing the OEM harness and dropping the voltage) but enough for me to see a dingo and a cow in time to avoid collisions (both on the same night! And the cow almost wiped its nose on my shoulder!)
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

...yes I said nose...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html

Here is another location to buy bulbs from.
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,283
The best H4 bulbs I have used to date in any vehicle are the IPF Fatboy II Super Clear bulbs. They cost about $80 for a pair and they put out a lot of nice clean light. The bulbs are beefy and each set has lasted about a year of use in my car in Vermont.

"The Super Clear bulbs perform at an optically equivalent level of a 195/150 watt bulb even though it has a low beam draw of only 80 watts and high beam draw of 60 watts. "

They put out more light on low beam which is where you need it since you are already cutting the beam down. They do not put as much of a load on the small wires that feed the bulb. While a 100w hella bulb will put out a lot of light it will also lead to wiring harness issues.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The best H4 bulbs I have used to date in any vehicle are the IPF Fatboy II Super Clear bulbs. They cost about $80 for a pair and they put out a lot of nice clean light. The bulbs are beefy and each set has lasted about a year of use in my car in Vermont.

"The Super Clear bulbs perform at an optically equivalent level of a 195/150 watt bulb even though it has a low beam draw of only 80 watts and high beam draw of 60 watts. "

They put out more light on low beam which is where you need it since you are already cutting the beam down. They do not put as much of a load on the small wires that feed the bulb. While a 100w hella bulb will put out a lot of light it will also lead to wiring harness issues.
Thats true - if going up substantially in watts it is worthwhile going fatter on the wire - from a light output prspective as well as safety.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
RaggedClaws
n00b

Oddometer: 6
H4 LED from Electricalconnection.com

This item was shown on pg. 60 of Feb. 2014 Motorcyclist magazine.

I have no affiliation with the vendor, nor I have I tried these, however, I am keenly interested. $80 each.

same page linked here: http://bit.ly/19KA6IM

It is my understanding that the fan and heat sink are required to keep the LED emitter cool. LEDs have about 13% efficiency [at most] right now, so 7/8 of the output will be heat, and LEDs don't work well at high temperatures. As I understand it, the emitters are cooled by an aluminum heat sink, which is, in turn, cooled by the fan.

These require 25 watts of power, and I assume have workable high and low beams.

The rated output is 1800 lumens, Vs. 1050 for a std. 55/60 watt H4 bulb [according to the vendor].

Here's a link to the vendor's photo: http://electricalconnection.com/images/hl-led-h4.jpg
RaggedClaws is offline   Reply With Quote