Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #31
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Purposely hitting, and not swerving to avoid are two completely different matters. Hitting a small dog while on the brakes and swerving could end in disaster. I'm not going to risk high siding over one. If you hit one while going straight, and not on the brakes, it poses no more risk to the rider than a pot hole.

Most dogs have good enough eye sight and brains to be able to judge trajectories fairly well. (My jack russel is excellent at this) If you continue on without swerving, most of the time the dog won't be there by the time you get there. If not, well, you're just helping the gene pool.

This ^^^^

I like dogs and other critters but I am not going to risk crashing for one.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #32
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Dakez (and Mgbgt89 ) have it right!

Somebody down the road from me has a Jack Russel which likes to chase bikes. Ill speed up or slow down to stay away from it but I'm not ever going to risk falling off by swerving to avoid it. It would be a big bump but, if it comes to it, I'm going straight over (or through) Fido. ...which would be a shame as I love dogs
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #33
zrxmoto
don't wanna be a n00b

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
I was reminded today in midwinter about spoiled little dogs, and the hazards their owners, and those little dogs , represent. Had to brake hard to avoid one from down the street when it ran under my front wheels. It got me thinking why I should brake anymore for uncontrolled dogs allowed to run loose.

On my bike I have resolved not to swerve for them, because it its not worth the injury, damage and downtime to risk a crash trying to avoid the little bastards. The problem is, those greasy little pests are sometimes big enough to make it difficult to cleanly hit them on a bike without risking a spill.

My second observation: these creatures seem almost always to be named Muffy, or, Buffy, or Fluffy, or some stupid name like that. Makes them hard to take seriously as legitimate dogs. Around here, to qualify as a dog, the thump test applies.( This rule is followed by every respectable rancher.) There are two criteria: 1-when kicked in the ribs, the dog emits a "thump" sound. 2- When kicked in the ribs, the foot, not the dog, rebounds.The creature if it can fails the test, and is not a dog, if it can be be moved by a kick in the ribs. Anything that can be punted is not a dog.

I also note their owners overeaction to the dogs near miss, and their lack of concern for the human beings nearly injured. Last summer I had an owner deliberately let one out to run in a parking lot, then yell at me when the dog ran under my bike as I passed.

I ain't risking a broken pelvis for them anymore. I need advice. How does one decide what one can hit , and what one should avoid? Please confine your answers to the laws of physics.
George Carlin had a routine about "tiny little over-bred dogs that just shake and piss all the time." I personally think all tiny breeds of dogs should be outlawed. They're overgrown rats, not dogs.

Friend of mine in High School had a chihuahua that was quite possibly the most annoying animal in all of creation. I wanted to chuck that thing at the wall so many times...

I always do whatever I can to avoid hitting any animal on the road. Nothing deserves to die because of laziness or apathy (except of course for chihuahua's). But sometimes things just can't be avoided. And if the situation warrants, because of road hazards or other people, that I hit the dog head on, that's the way it will be.

I dunno, I grew up on a farm where as a kid you got attached to animals all the time: dogs, horses, baby calves, whatever. But at the end of the day they are ANIMALS. When our trusted blue heeler came out on the wrong end of a fight with a coyote, the thought of spending thousands of $$$ to rehab the dog's serious injuries never crossed our minds. First thing dad did was grab the rifle.
2010 KLX250S
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #34
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
I ain't risking a broken pelvis for them anymore. I need advice. How does one decide what one can hit , and what one should avoid? Please confine your answers to the laws of physics.
As I tell my MSF students, "If it will fit in your microwave, hit it."

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #35
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,638
Ironically enough after reading this tread yesterday after work, I went out for a smoke and saw an incident of a dumb lady on her bicycle with her two pomeranian looking things running amok in the street. Of course a car came and it seemed one of the dogs had the "car chase" gene. Lucky for the dog it just got clipped by the front bumper and lucky for the lady it wasn't me driving either vehicle. Lots of screaming and yelling ensued.

I've seen too many people injured pretty badly from avoiding goddamn squirrels or rabbits or such. Unless it's a damn mastiff, I'm not going to crash my bike (again) to avoid it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #36
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
.......I like having those big-ass cylinders on my R 100 hanging out there for doggie hitters.....sure beats having to
use my shins .
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #37
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
.......I like having those big-ass cylinders on my R 100 hanging out there for doggie hitters.....sure beats having to
use my shins .
Oof. I think (as a dog) i'd rather get hit by a relatively squishy bumperguard than a hard and hot as hell cylinder head. Dogs beware, BMW's eat you!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,945
I wouldn't go it of my way to kill an animal, any animal, if I could help it. But on the other hand, I'm sure as hell not gonna "Lay er down" for a damn poodle who's owner can't be bothered to keep it the hell out of the street.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #39
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
As I tell my MSF students, "If it will fit in your microwave, hit it."
My instructors words were similar: "Can you eat it in one sitting?"

Little dogs don't really bother me, but what about a big charging farm dog?

I think about booting them, but always wonder how much that might hurt me.

So far the change speed and confuse them routine has worked.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
... what about a big charging farm dog?

I think about booting them, but always wonder how much that might hurt me.
I've only heard of a couple of people trying that at low speed (or on a bicycle). They all reported it was a bad idea.

Try to imagine if someone somehow threw a collie at you at 30mph - it would hurt, right? Kicking out at one would be the same - not to mention that from the dog owner's point of view, that would put you squarely in the wrong. I know what I'd do if someone kicked my dog. The kicker wouldn't like it at all (and I think I'm pretty laid back)
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #41
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I've only heard of a couple of people trying that at low speed (or on a bicycle). They all reported it was a bad idea.

Try to imagine if someone somehow threw a collie at you at 30mph - it would hurt, right? Kicking out at one would be the same - not to mention that from the dog owner's point of view, that would put you squarely in the wrong. I know what I'd do if someone kicked my dog. The kicker wouldn't like it at all (and I think I'm pretty laid back)
So, do you allow your animal to run loose and endanger people on the road? If you do, anything that happens is your fault. Why blame the person who was attacked?

Many years ago, I lived on a dirt road, and the farmer down the way had a big mutt that would chase anything that came down the road, car, truck, or motorcycle. It got to the point that I knew that sooner or later I'd tangle with it on the bike, so I started driving the truck and watched how the dog came after it. I figured that if I checked up real hard and then nailed it, it would throw its timing off, and I'd get it. It took about a week. Problem solved.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #42
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
As a dog owner in a rural area, its paramount to me that pets are properly restrained. Narrow roads, limited visibility and off-leash dogs are a recipe for disaster. If you can't afford the fencing to keep your dogs safe, you can't afford to be a pet owner. Period.

This trio was well worth the $1500 fencing bill for their acre of secure yard.

The lightest of the three is 80 lbs... not really what I'd want to run into - or have anyone else run into either, for that matter.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #43
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
So, do you allow your animal to run loose and endanger people on the road? If you do, anything that happens is your fault. Why blame the person who was attacked?
No, I don't let my dog loose, ever. She did get out one time and got hit by a car. It was an accident - the dog didn't know better and the driver was not at fault. If someone decided to kick her (for whatever reason), they had better be faster than me.

Quote:
Many years ago, I lived on a dirt road, and the farmer down the way had a big mutt that would chase anything that came down the road, car, truck, or motorcycle. It got to the point that I knew that sooner or later I'd tangle with it on the bike, so I started driving the truck and watched how the dog came after it. I figured that if I checked up real hard and then nailed it, it would throw its timing off, and I'd get it. It took about a week. Problem solved.
Farmer may have been at fault but the dog was just doing what comes naturally. You are a total asshole!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 AM   #44
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:

Farmer may have been at fault but the dog was just doing what comes naturally. You are a total asshole!

This.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #45
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
If that's true, then I'm buying drinks for ttpete at the Asshole Bar & Grille.