ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,801
New rules and FEES for beach driving/riding Cape Hatteras NC

This is bad news for many of us OBX nutz............

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/park...-beach-driving

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,429
Yep. Been going to the Outer Banks since it had one north/south route back in the late 60s/early 70s. I've probably made my last trip.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
douglasgraham
This is my car

Oddometer: 298
Well knew this was coming its just too many people driving on the beach and most of them dont belong behind the wheel of a car let alone driving on the beach. Its a shame really and to tell the truth Im surprized they did not ban it all together. That will be next and Id bet sooner then you would expect.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Well knew this was coming its just too many people driving on the beach and most of them dont belong behind the wheel of a car let alone driving on the beach.
So many people, so willing to let their rights go down the shitter.
DG,
Your logic is a bit flawed imo... If "too many people who don't belong behind the wheel of a car" is your criteria for removing rights, then easily half the drivers in the US would not be allowed to drive, or access national parks and other crowded areas.

Also.. I'm not sure where you get the "too many people" Mostly I drive the beaches off season. There are times when I am in the only vehicle that can be seen for miles. The solitude is the draw. Even in season there are often 100s of yards between 4x4 parked on the beach. It only really packs up in the "hot" fishing areas.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
So many people, so willing to let their rights go down the shitter.
DG,
Your logic is a bit flawed imo... If "too many people who don't belong behind the wheel of a car" is your criteria for removing rights, then easily half the drivers in the US would not be allowed to drive, or access national parks and other crowded areas.

Also.. I'm not sure where you get the "too many people" Mostly I drive the beaches off season. There are times when I am in the only vehicle that can be seen for miles. The solitude is the draw. Even in season there are often 100s of yards between 4x4 parked on the beach. It only really packs up in the "hot" fishing areas.

Hundred of yards between vehicles eh?

Read the replies in your link. This guy is probably referring to you:

It's a sad situation

Submitted by BRAKE4YELLOW on Sun, 01/22/2012 at 10:55 am.
I've been driving the Hatteras beach for more years than I would like to count and back in the day we locals were extremely careful of where we drove (and that includes now too) especially watchful of wildlife and so-called un-wildlife (humans), but in the last 20 or so years, with the influx of tourists with their big SUV's and their stupid arrogance that "they know everything", the poor wildlife and the locals have to suffer. It's a sad situation!

Most of locals I know all say something has to be done and welcome this new rule.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Picture hanging on the wall behind my PC of the same spot from the last time I was there. Guess it's changed a bit.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
FishHunt
slow poking...

Oddometer: 1,315
Yes it is bad/sad news but money and tourist have already ruined every damn thing north of Cedar Island. This is just another reason not to venture to that area again.

<>< Fish

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
I worked as a seasonal ranger for the NPS at Cape Cod National Seashore for a couple years during college. They have had a very similar policy of requiring a pass/limiting number of vehicles/watching an educational video for many years.

When I first visited the Outer Banks I was very suprised that you could just drive onto the beach w/out all that stuff. I know in Cape Cod it is ten times as crowded as the Outer Banks. The restrictive policy is needed. I'm not sure if the Outer Banks "needs" the same policy but as more and more people discover the Outer Banks some sort of policy will be needed to protect the beaches.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

This is a shot from the beach on the northern part of the Outer Banks. Not too many people there in the early morning.

I'm sure the NPS policy wont allow for motorcycles

Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
JaxObsessed OP

Speaking of reading....I said it packs up in hot fishing areas....Your photo is of the Point, the single "HOTTEST" fishing area... I NEVER go there.

So if you really want to bust my chops, you will have to read my entire post before you post your argument.
I don't give a shit what the comments are in the article,,, as well, I don't give a shit what you say.

Just line right up and smack me, and call me a tourist and a plover/turtle killer.... and you will be speaking to the choir. I am mostly a misanthrope which is precisely why I have enjoyed the OBX for close to 40 years. It's about the solitude you can not find anywhere else (at the beach). Yes, I said 100s of yards up to miles between vehicles, and if you really went there to seek the solitude, you would be able to find it too. This is what I lament potentially loosing. It's not the fees, it's the undisclosed closures.

Just line right up and kick my ass.... I can take it. I'm not so sure you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post

Hundred of yards between vehicles eh?

Read the replies in your link. This guy is probably referring to you:

It's a sad situation

Submitted by BRAKE4YELLOW on Sun, 01/22/2012 at 10:55 am.
I've been driving the Hatteras beach for more years than I would like to count and back in the day we locals were extremely careful of where we drove (and that includes now too) especially watchful of wildlife and so-called un-wildlife (humans), but in the last 20 or so years, with the influx of tourists with their big SUV's and their stupid arrogance that "they know everything", the poor wildlife and the locals have to suffer. It's a sad situation!
Most of locals I know all say something has to be done and welcome this new rule.

Agreed Bucho. I'm really just lamenting the loss of something I have held close to my heart for most of my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I worked as a seasonal ranger for the NPS at Cape Cod National Seashore for a couple years during college. They have had a very similar policy of requiring a pass/limiting number of vehicles/watching an educational video for many years.

When I first visited the Outer Banks I was very suprised that you could just drive onto the beach w/out all that stuff. I know in Cape Cod it is ten times as crowded as the Outer Banks. The restrictive policy is needed. I'm not sure if the Outer Banks "needs" the same policy but as more and more people discover the Outer Banks some sort of policy will be needed to protect the beaches.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post

Agreed Bucho. I'm really just lamenting the loss of something I have held close to my heart for most of my life.

Don't worry Jax, when the zombie apocolypse hits and wipes out 75% of the people on the East coast I'm sure you will have plenty of solitude. NPS will probably let you out onto the beach w/out a permit as long as you kill any random zombies you find.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
JaxObsessed OP

Can't wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Don't worry Jax, when the zombie apocolypse hits and wipes out 75% of the people on the East coast I'm sure you will have plenty of solitude. NPS will probably let you out onto the beach w/out a permit as long as you kill any random zombies you find.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Greebe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
NPS = National Police State? Seems to fit better than National Park Service. They are taking away most of our rights to take motorized vehicles off road in land that is technically owned by the citizens of this country. In fact they are making it so that a lot of our national land is off limits to even foot traffic and camping. You practically need a freaking permit to leave the house these days. Seems that the UN Agenda 21 is coming along pretty well in this country.

Greebe
Greebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
pbharvey
Tagoholic

Oddometer: 883
First no driving on the beach, then no football or frisbee on the beach. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...ee-on-beaches/
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #15
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Before you know it, the "government" will be telling you what kind of health insurance you're allowed to have and how much money you have to give to other people.