ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
One thing that is holding me up from BC - I probably have a couple hundred Mapsoruce files saved. In them I'm sure I have duplicate waypoint/track/route names but the items are actually not the same. How would I handle this in Basecamp?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
One thing that is holding me up from BC - I probably have a couple hundred Mapsoruce files saved. In them I'm sure I have duplicate waypoint/track/route names but the items are actually not the same. How would I handle this in Basecamp?
Mike,

Since BC does not allow duplicate Names for anything, when Imported BC renames duplicates by adding a number (001, 002, etc.) to the Name. As long as you're importing a file at a time you will want to organize them before Importing the next file. If you're a Windows user you should wait for the v3.3.1 release. I don't know if we'll get the ability to have duplicate Names but I'd wait anyway since you'll want the List Folder feature for sure.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
tbirdsp
REMF

I'm a Windows guy. Was finally forced to get a new computer when my vintage 2002 Gateway desktop died recently.

Yeah, it was just laziness on my part - but it didn't matter with the individual file system of Mapsource. I just wanted to make sure that Basecamp wouldn't just choke or over-write something if the names were the same. I'll probably try to clean everything up before import to BC anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
That is correct. We are expecting the v3.3.1 release soon which will provide that feature to the Windows BaseCamp.

Cheers,
I'm trying ver. 3.3.0.3 Beta just to see what it will do. Is there a risk of wasting my time if I try to organize my data with that as opposed to waiting for v3.3.1?

Right now I only have about .5 Gb. of track data, but as a retired person I really don't have a lot of spare time so need to be efficient in using it.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I'm trying ver. 3.3.0.3 Beta just to see what it will do. Is there a risk of wasting my time if I try to organize my data with that as opposed to waiting for v3.3.1?

Right now I only have about .5 Gb. of track data, but as a retired person I really don't have a lot of spare time so need to be efficient in using it.
You should be fine. Just do regular Backup's so you can just do a Restore when you install the released v3.3.1.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #21
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Since BC does not allow duplicate Names for anything, when Imported BC renames duplicates by adding a number (001, 002, etc.) to the Name.
Let me add, for BaseCamp on the Mac:

EVERYTHING that you import goes into My Collection, and then into a list. If you subsequently delete the list, the contents are still in My Collection, unless you elect to delete them when you get this message "Delete this list's unique items from My Collection?"

So very early on, I imported a file, worked on it a while, then deleted the list. Later, I imported a file with the same name as previously imported (Current Track). After editing for a while, I decided to export the file then delete it from BC. A little later I was browsing My Collection and there were the two files - Current Track and Current Track 001. I know I knew this was supposed to happen, but it caught me by surprise.

Then I went through My Collection and deleted all the other unwanted data that I found.

I still don't always catch this behavior as I work but I clean up every now and then. (I edit a lot of Current Track files. Waypoints are worse; I'm always erasing waypoints from my GPSr and after a data collection ride, seeing 001, 002, etc.)

I dread loading all my old data - I'll have to do a bunch of editing first. I saved a lot a data and just changed the file name on MacOSX so they appear unique, but the tracks inside the files are what BaseCamp sees. Fortunately, I use BBEdit and it makes quick work of renaming waypoints, but track names I have to do manually.

Just don't forget, everything is in my Collection and BC won't forget
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
. . .

I still don't always catch this behavior as I work but I clean up every now and then. (I edit a lot of Current Track files. Waypoints are worse; I'm always erasing waypoints from my GPSr and after a data collection ride, seeing 001, 002, etc.)

I dread loading all my old data - I'll have to do a bunch of editing first. I saved a lot a data and just changed the file name on MacOSX so they appear unique, but the tracks inside the files are what BaseCamp sees. Fortunately, I use BBEdit and it makes quick work of renaming waypoints, but track names I have to do manually.

Just don't forget, everything is in my Collection and BC won't forget
If the Tracks you have are from the GPS Track Log then you should have no duplicate names since they will be "named" by Time Stamp and therefore all unique.

I sometimes forget to delete data from My Collection but what helps me is to use the Map. If I delete a "working" folder expecting to remove all data from My Collection, before I move the Map from that "working" area, I simply click on My Collection. If the data shows on the Map, I can then select it on the map and delete it for good.

BaseCamp is a database not a file editor like MapSource. You will acquire new methods for creating, changing and deleting your data.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post

I have decided to give BC a try since I have a little time on my hands. I can only find a download for version 3.2.2. I would really like to try the latest Beta version.

Anybody know where to find it. This did not work. I got a message saying the site no longer exists.

http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.2_Beta.exe

Edit: I need it for a PC not a MAC.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have decided to give BC a try since I have a little time on my hands. I can only find a download for version 3.2.2. I would really like to try the latest Beta version.

Anybody know where to find it. This did not work. I got a message saying the site no longer exists.

http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/...3.0.2_Beta.exe

Edit: I need it for a PC not a MAC.
That's because you didn't look in the Windows Beta thread at Garmin Forums. Here's the link for Win-BC v3.3.0.3

Note that the Beta will install separate from the released version so you will have two BC's if you have v3.2.2 installed.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #25
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
so i'm clear.
i have a .gdb route created with mapsource.
will basecamp open/translate this or not?
if not, talk about a major compatibility FU from garmin.
so if not then do you resave as .gpx?
thnx!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
If the Tracks you have are from the GPS Track Log then you should have no duplicate names since they will be "named" by Time Stamp and therefore all unique.
On my Montana, the current track is not time stamped, it's called "Current.gpx" (NOT "Current Track" as I said previously, oops). If I save it, it gets a time stamp, but if I don't want to manually save it but just get a copy of the current active file and start editing, then I get the 001, 002 thingo on BaseCamp. As you mention, files are time stamped, but only those in the Archive folder, as far as I can tell, and these are no problemo in BC.

I usually don't turn on my Montana with the power button, but instead plug in the USB cable connected to my Mac and jump right onto the mass storage volume to get the current track. I let the Montana archive and save the current track according to it's schedule.

BTW, I've never pinned down when the new day starts - 00:00:00 local time or UTC time. One of these nights, I plan to watch time roll over at local midnight and then I'll know.
----------------------------
One question - what is the "GPS Track Log"? I can't see anything on the Montana display labeled such nor on the mass storage volume when connected to my Mac.

On the Montana, when I click 'Track Manager' I get a list of tracks and something called 'Archived Tracks' which is actually a folder containing time-stamped archived tracks but I don't actually see a 'GPS Track Log' anywhere.

On the mass storage volume, I see a folder named 'GPX' which has the 'Archive' folder which holds the archived tracks and I see a 'Current' folder, but again, no 'GPS Track Log'.

What am I missing?
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so i'm clear.
i have a .gdb route created with mapsource.
will basecamp open/translate this or not?
if not, talk about a major compatibility FU from garmin.
so if not then do you resave as .gpx?
thnx!
What ever gave you the idea that BaseCam would not import a GDB file? BaseCamp's database is a GDB "file" - all be it a special one.

BC will import GPX, GDB, CVS, TCX (and KML when v3.3.1 is released).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
. . .

One question - what is the "GPS Track Log"? I can't see anything on the Montana display labeled such nor on the mass storage volume when connected to my Mac.

On the Montana, when I click 'Track Manager' I get a list of tracks and something called 'Archived Tracks' which is actually a folder containing time-stamped archived tracks but I don't actually see a 'GPS Track Log' anywhere.

On the mass storage volume, I see a folder named 'GPX' which has the 'Archive' folder which holds the archived tracks and I see a 'Current' folder, but again, no 'GPS Track Log'.

What am I missing?
"GPS Track Log is a generic name for the Archive folder and the "current Track". So, as you noted, depending upon how you have your Archive setup, you will see Tracks in the Archive folder with TimeStamp names and a track in the "Current" file.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

BaseCamp v3.3.1 is now available. If you have BC installed it will inform you that this is the case. Otherwise, you can go to this BaseCamp link to download. If it's not posted there yet give them a little time.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #30
tbirdsp
REMF

DRTBYK - Thanks in advance for your patience

My current process for loading a specific group of waypoints/routes to my Nuvi 500: I create a .gdb file in Mapsource with my desired items, connect the GPS to my PC, then I do a "save as" with the .gdb file (but I change the file type to .gpx) specifying the location as the Garmin>GPX folder on the microSD card in the Nuvi. So I end up with a .gpx copy of my .gdb file on the card.

Can this be done with Basecamp Win?