ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #61
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
BaseCamp seems to support mixed (along-road & direct) routing in one Route as long as you use the "map-switching" approach to creating your route. It does recalculate the route each time you switch between non-Routable and Routable maps but I seem to get what I expected when it's done. If you are using that instead of Tracks, you might just stay with MapSource for now. But it does have some quirks. I don't think they [BC] overtly intended to support mix-routes so this may be an area of marginal support unless a large number of users ask for it. Many have asked for the "leave the Route As-Is" support so that might help.

As many here know, I'm not a fan of Along-road [auto] Routing. Tracks will take you anywhere in the world regardless if one has routable maps or not.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #62
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Many have asked for the "leave the Route As-Is" support so that might help.
DRTBYK, what is your interpertation of the following items that were in the Basecamp Win 3.3.1 update?

◦Added shaping point support for zumo devices like done in MapSource.
◦Added explicit support for shaping points. These will be transferred to supporting devices.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #63
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
DRTBYK, what is your interpertation of the following items that were in the Basecamp Win 3.3.1 update?

◦Added shaping point support for zumo devices like done in MapSource.
◦Added explicit support for shaping points. These will be transferred to supporting devices.
This support was added to both OS version of BaseCamp. It is specifically done to support the zumo routing code and how they use "shaping points". It has little to no relevance for other GPS's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #64
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
As many here know, I'm not a fan of Along-road [auto] Routing. Tracks will take you anywhere in the world regardless if one has routable maps or not.

Cheers,

I originally ran into this making changes in a long complicated route, and wasn't absolutely positive about what was happening.

Today I created a short segment of a mixed-map route with several waypoints in regions both where CN showed roads and in regions where it didn't. I then verified that whenever I moved a waypoint BC would recalculate the entire route based on whatever map was active at the time. I will try to find some work arounds.

I do not navigate using along-the-road routing, but I use this feature a lot to create a route that I can convert to tracks.

By proper placement of waypoints, I can always make the route go where I want on the computer.

But there are places where Topo shows roads I want to use that CN doesn't. This is when I resort to the mixed-map routes.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #65
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I originally ran into this making changes in a long complicated route, and wasn't absolutely positive about what was happening.

Today I created a short segment of a mixed-map route with several waypoints in regions both where CN showed roads and in regions where it didn't. I then verified that whenever I moved a waypoint BC would recalculate the entire route based on whatever map was active at the time. I will try to find some work arounds.

I do not navigate using along-the-road routing, but I use this feature a lot to create a route that I can convert to tracks.

By proper placement of waypoints, I can always make the route go where I want on the computer.

But there are places where Topo shows roads I want to use that CN doesn't. This is when I resort to the mixed-map routes.
Many of us work that way in MapSource or BC. What I do in BC is to just create/draw Tracks for the non-CNNA roads using my other map. Then when I convert my Routes to Tracks I just join the portions together to create my complete Track.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #66
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

FWIW I figured out a pretty good way to create and modify (to some extent) mixed map types in BC.

I discovered that if I used the Insert New Point tool, BC would only recalculate the route just before and after the new via point.

So to create a mixed map route. Create the route as best you can in City Nav. For best results put via points at the beginning and the end of the section where CN does not show the roads you want to use. Then go to Topos and use the Insert New Point tool to insert via points along the roads of the desired route that do not show up in CN.

The Along the road portions of the route will not be affected.

I like to see waypoints even when I am navigating with tracks. So I put them in where I want to see them. I think the key here is to not make the waypoints part of the route.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #67
Tudelum48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
BaseCamp Questions

Well first off I am happy with Mapsource with the GPS level I am at which is low. But realistically I know that Mapsource will be phased out someday so i would like to start trying it. I am fine running Mapsource with the (2) 76's that i have and the Nuvi.
I have some simple questions that I hope someone will have the patience to answer.
1. If I download Basecamp will it interfear with the Mapsource i am running now?
2. If I download Basecamp will I have to choose when downloading a track between one or the other or just be on the program I choose to use,
3. I have City Navigator on Mapsource can it be used on Basecamp or will I have to buy another CD to load.
4. I have several tracks/routes probably around 70-80 saved. Can I open BaseCamp and then bring them up out of documents where I have them saved just like i do with Mapsource.

Simple questions to some but not to me.

I would like to pull the trigger on a Montana but with the durability of the 76 and the simplicity of the power cord and the docking station of the Montana that doesnt look durable to me i just cant do it.
Tudelum48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #68
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48 View Post
1. If I download Basecamp will it interfear with the Mapsource i am running now?
NO! I have both on one computer, no problems
2. If I download Basecamp will I have to choose when downloading a track between one or the other or just be on the program I choose to use,
Open it in whichever one
3. I have City Navigator on Mapsource can it be used on Basecamp or will I have to buy another CD to load.
Basecamp found the maps I already had loaded in Mapsource
4. I have several tracks/routes probably around 70-80 saved. Can I open BaseCamp and then bring them up out of documents where I have them saved just like i do with Mapsource.
Import them into Basecamp from where you have them saved.

Simple questions to some but not to me.

I would like to pull the trigger on a Montana but with the durability of the 76 and the simplicity of the power cord and the docking station of the Montana that doesnt look durable to me i just cant do it.
I'm sticking with my 76CSx until I have to change units. I don't know how it works for Mapsource to access information that has been put onto the computer using Basecamp. I'm still more comfortable using Mapsource but am trying to use Basecamp, just because.

250senuf screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 07:52 PM Reason: added more
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #69
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
I'm sticking with my 76CSx until I have to change units. I don't know how it works for Mapsource to access information that has been put onto the computer using Basecamp. I'm still more comfortable using Mapsource but am trying to use Basecamp, just because.
From my VERY limited experience with Basecamp - I think if you create items in BC you are going to have to export them to a .gdb or .gpx file in order to open them with Mapsource.

Can someone confirm this?
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #70
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
To share a file from BC to MS you do need to export/save it.

supported BC file types, * are MS supported file types

export/save;
gpx*
gdb*
csv
tcx
txt*

Import/open;
gdb*
gpx*
jpeg
jpg
kml
kmz
loc*
tcx*

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #71
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp View Post
From my VERY limited experience with Basecamp - I think if you create items in BC you are going to have to export them to a .gdb or .gpx file in order to open them with Mapsource.

Can someone confirm this?
Yes!

Export to a directory of your choice. BC defaults to exporting the file as *.gpx. You can select other file types if you want too.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #72
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I have imported maybe 50 old gdb files into BC. I found it important to create some kind of logical folder directory structure in the List area. One (nice?) feature of BC is that when you click on a folder name, BC displays the contents of every List in that folder.

One big difference between Mapsource and BC is that when you import a file, all the information (waypoints, routes, tracks) in the file goes into a master database and BC maintains Lists of things in that database. Your main interaction in BC is using Lists.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #73
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
You don't need a Montana - you WANT a Montana! Cheers,
That is my problem, how can I reverse it?

I just got a job updating updating BLM maps for the Western Mojave. Now I wish I had a 78 with 200 saved displayed tracks so I could see what I have done. The only way I have to do it is never clear my Active Log.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #74
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:
You don't need a Montana - you WANT a Montana!

Jerry,

For as many Garmin 60/76/78 units (and GPS in general) you have turned folks on to, Garmin should give you a Montana!

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #75
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
That is my problem, how can I reverse it?
I can solve that for you. We can enter into an agreement and I'll supply "Life Coach" services to you.

I can give you the ADV discount of $250/hr with a hr. minimum and consultations can be on the phone.

It will work best if you just accept it when I say "Thats a want, not a need". If you argue about it the costs will increase.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote