User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Oddometer: 289
Quick photo dump from this week.

Checking out my shock mount in the timeshare parking lot. Probably the most glamorous garage setting I've ever used. The rear end's still a little clunky, but hopefully it holds up. (The bucket was a gift from the desert.. Or a litterbug drywaller..)

Deburring the rear brake caliper and replacing pads. We'll see (and hope) if these ones will make the entire trip.

A little road trip through Joshua Tree National Monument today:

There's snow on them there hills!

Little side trip. The rest of the group went pavement and I checked out a 4x4 trail.

This met me half a mile up the road. It's about a foot deep.

A road sample. As usual, the tough parts weren't caught on camera. It was relatively challenging terrain. In DualsportBC terms, I'd give it a C+ or B- trail rating.

These guys were awesome. Little CT70s (one a '93, the other a '74) poking around the desert. The older one was having troubles with the points ignition. They kept on getting contaminated.

Traveler headed to Death Valley.

Behemoths of the low desert. The west end of the valley is filled with these hulking masses. I'm always mystified by how these harness the wind. And I also wonder how quick the wing tips are moving at full speed.

Anyway, that's it for now. More riding tomorrow! And the next day... And the next day... I'm still trying to comprehend this.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762691 <- 3 months of moto fantasticity
Hamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #32
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Lovinf the pics man. Also like that your dad you yourself took time to ride together and spend valuable bonding time together that neither one of you will ever forget.

Later
john
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #33
Hamon OP
I just like riding

A bit of riding from yesterday and today.

The Salton Sea. I don't know the whole story, but this salty land-bound sea was formed when the Colorado River changed course some hundred years ago or so. It's a harsh body of water in a harsh landscape, but fish still survive in it and sea birds flock to it. Just mind your footing as you get near the shores. It gets mighty mucky.

The bikes were parked wisely on higher ground.

Now, onto another bit of business. my pocket knife.

I'd heard mixed messages about bringing pocket knives into Mexico. Everything from Swiss Army Knives being confiscated to people carrying machetes across the border without anybody batting an eye. The knife above (a Chris Reeve Sebenza if you're interested) has been with me on all of my other major trips, so it seemed fitting to come with me on this one too. The problem is, I couldn't fathom losing this knife.

I was torn about whether or not to take it, when finally, I decided that it meant too much to me to find its way into unfriendly hands, so it's on the road back north to Canada with Dad.

Speaking of which, today marked the parting of paths with Dad, Mom, and I. He started his journey back to BC, she's catching a flight back home tomorrow with my grandparents and aunt, and I trekked just slightly more southward to meet up with another riding buddy. It was an emotional time. Moreso than I anticipated, but finally the meaty part of this trip is beginning. The goodbyes have been said and the trajectory is border-ward. Monday and Mexico is but two sleeps away.

Leaving the pristinely manicured resort and all the trappings that accompany it. Things are going to get a bit more raw.

She looks ready, albeit a wee more shod than necessary. I have decided that I hate carrying tires with me.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. Today I met up with Steve, who posted up on DualsportBC that he was in Borrego Springs and wanted to show me some riding. We met up today for some exceptional riding in some amazing country. Want proof? See pics.

Snow coming through the mountains into Anza. Snow. In the desert. In California. Who'd've thunk it?

Steve and his XChallenge. Sweet bike, awesome rider, and phenomenal tour guide.

The road ahead.

A cool old mission where we had lunch. It was open for viewing and I have to say, inside was actually kinda frigid.

A few more trails (Steve knows this area like the back of his hand.. He lives here for 3-4 months per year!) and into Borrego Springs.

Meet Hank. He's my mascot for the trip and is normally stowed safely in my tankbag. You've already met him, actually, in my first post, but never got a proper introduction. He's a jolly chap, riding the world on his bicycle, delivering happiness (at least that's what he says) from his bar-mount basket. You'll see him pop up from time to time.

He found a friend today. Steve carries a passenger with him too. Curious George!

Anyway, we dropped off my luggage at Steve's base camp and took to the desert with unladen bikes. It was an absolute blast to ride sand, gravel, and dust, with no added weight on the back.

And to close down the day, we checked out the Sky Art that put Borrego Springs on the map. These hulking creatures dot the landscape and bring a different taste to otherwise barren soil.

So, that's a couple days there... Updates I predict will be more spotty as the days progress, but for now, consider yourself lucky!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762691 <- 3 months of moto fantasticity
Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Well, I learned that I hate carrying tires, so the TKC80 is on the front and I'll run the Shinko till it's bald.

Pirelli MT90 ST on the chopping block.

And a few more photos of desert riding:

Canyon just got narrower until I had to manhandle the bike back around. Fun times!

Mesquite forest in the middle of the valley. They've seen better days.

Borrego Springs: the town that never grew. Although the wind sure blew.

One for dad. This K75S was utterly immaculate.

Steve has been an outstanding host here in Borrego Springs. Thanks so much for everything, both you and Georgia! Shout out to Ron and Myrna too for a phenomenal meal last night. A good way to finish one leg and start another.

Heading into Mexico today! Responses may be spotty from here on in.

Hasta Luego!

Travis
Old 02-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #35
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Keep on riding south!! Stay safe and keep showing us whats out there.

Later
John
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #36
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Hanging out on a sailboat in La Paz for the evening. Will post an update tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Travis
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #37
KLR 41B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Excellent report! I feel Your pain, having to send Your knife back home.
KLR 41B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #38
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Weehoo! Mexico Mexico! Down the Baja and hanging out in La Paz for a couple days before heading to the mainland.

Let's get back to first impressions of Mexico though. I crossed the border at Tecate (from the recommendation of a KTM 640(?) enduro rider in Newport, OR) and from the moment I crossed, I nervously loved it! Migracion worked well, getting my tourist visa thanks to the poquito de Ingles that the migracion clerk knew, and I was onto my first banking experience. I screwed two things up (lessons learned!) right away:

1) I found a parking lot and slipped into a triangular spot that seemed to house a motorcycle well. As I was walking to the bank, a man was following me, saying something. I thought nothing of it, but when I returned and left the lot, I realized he was a parking attendant and I'd just gone without paying for my time there... Lo siento!!
2) At the bank, there was a man standing outside the glass-enclosed ATM booth. I thought nothing of it (again) and stepped inside the booth to stand in line for an available machine. When I was done, the man entered. I had just budged in line... Stupid gringo.. Lo siento!

Ah, all in the experience. Tecate! The colors, sounds, and smells, even in a small town like this were all very new and bombarded my senses. I love it!

I hauled butt down Hwy 3 through some beautiful country including their wine area. I couldn't help but "WHOOP!!" a few times in my helmet. It was either to dispel some nervous energy or just embracing the thrill of it all. This was what I'd been waiting for!

My first gas stop: typical Pemex station, bought a map and some coconut-flavored Powerade-type liquid and realized quickly that my Spanish dictionaries were going to get a good workout!

Little tourism office on the side of the road just north of San Quintin, operated by Tomas. Worth a stop in if you just want to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. He even called ahead to the RV park I had connections with as he wasn't quite sure if they were open yet. As luck would have it, they were!

Dirty gringo. Let's face it, a 6'2" blond-ish, white, bearded man is never going to "blend in," so I'm not even going to try. I may, however, try to make my Canadian-ness apparent. Flannel and a double-bit axe perhaps?

Los Olivos RV Park:

I spent a couple days here, just acclimatizing myself to the whole nature of this new environment. I had connections with Isaias through church friends and I'm simply blown away by how generous and hospitable they were to me during my stay. They treated me like family, something all-too-quickly forgotten in the Canadian bubble I come from.

Spent some time helping them out around the place. Day two was occupied by bringing sea-worn rocks from 30km up the road, back to the RV park for use in walkways, gardens, etc.

Isaias mentioned that he had an old Honda motorcycle sitting in a shed that hadn't worked for a while that I could look at.

A quick check of the spark plug (black, as usual: everything down here burns oil it seems - more on that in a few) and a couple kicks in the right choke position was all it needed to get it running! I was so glad to be able to give back in even a miniscule way to repay Isaias and his family for all that they did to help me.

I think Isaias was going to love his new set of wheels. When I come back, he's gonna strap a sleeping bag on the back and tag along for the next journey.

Speaking of new wheels, when I was down there, a fellow Canuck (Deanna) arrived after a marathon trip from BC to Baja in less than two days (muy loco). She brought a car that, through my understanding, was going to stay at the park indefinitely (which normally means until 50% of the cylinders are melted and it can no longer move itself under its own power). It was cool to see Isaias baby this thing, get it all nice and washed, and truly appreciate the gift, before he proudly rode it to church one night.

This is Isaias posing with his horn he uses in the church service. So cool!

He gave me the chance to pose in all my white-bread glory too. Sorry folks, this isn't pretty, but it's part of the story.

That was Los Olivos and Isaias' family. Again, what amazing people to meet along the way. From the sound of it, I'm going to experience more of this as the trip progresses. Bring it on, I say!

The next morning I hopped on the bike at the crack of 6am to get a head-start on the trip to La Paz (1200km) which I was hoping to do in two days. Update in a second with that info, but first, a couple little notes:

-You can get a long way with a good attitude, some animated gestures, and a few well-placed words. Nobody starves to death because they don't know the language.
-It's easy to tell if you're in a Mexican town with your eyes closed: just smell for burnt oil. Seriously though, these folks know how to get full use out of their equipment. They're getting their money's worth.
-Moreso in Mexico, right-of-way on the road is dictated by the size of your vehicle. Semi trucks (transports, whatever you want to call them) don't stop. Simply put, -they- -don't- -stop-.
-I could already go without seeing another tope (speedbump). What a ridiculous (but effective) way to get people to reduce speed. Suspension shops must love Mexican road systems.

As I said, one more small update from the travel days incoming!!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Far fewer photos from the next two travel days. It was time to put the hammer down and pack on some mileage. This was a good tactic too, as it turned out to be a lot of desert. A lot of desert. Cacti.. Rocks.. Desert.. Getting passed by folks going 150km/h... More cacti... Good roads though!

Passed a clan of 3 riders being led by a KTM 9x0 Adventure (my on-the-pass photo taking didn't capture him).

This rider was small in stature and I'm not quite sure if either of these two bikes were licensed. Ah well, in the middle of the desert, who really cares anyway?

Fuel in some town, then my first restaurant experience. Four tables, one of which was inhabited by locals. I promptly turned heads as I walked in, ordered my meal, and sat down with a Coke. In my lanky flailings, I knocked over my Coke and had to ask for mas napkins en delay. Ah, all part of it! I just had to laugh.

More desert after lunch.

The highway takes a straight shot across the desert to the east coast and my first glimpse of the Sea of Cortez was sparkling sapphire heaven. The road along the coast was equally heavenly, equalling anything I'd ridden along Oregon or California.

At 700km, I called it a day in Mulege.

Long lost baby brother 250!

Scoped out the hotels (ranging from $30-$40) and settled instead on a campsite just out of town for $7, owned and operated by Maria. She was an absolute sweetheart and if you're in the area, give her your business! Hot showers, safe camping, all for a very fair price. She declined a photo, but was an absolute thrill to get to chat with for a while. Oh, bring earplugs. It's close to some hills on the highway and you'll need something to get you sleeping.

Camping under a palapa. Great way to air out gear!

Quick boot up to the grocery store: 39 pesos got me dinner, more tortillas for the next days, a beer, and a Powerade.

The next day, up at 7am, to get the other 500km under the belt.

Sunrise,

Bahia de Conception

And the rest was desert. I could show you more photos, but you know what a cactus looks like. Ran into fuel troubles as I got 150km outside of La Paz, but trusty Pemex came through!

NOTE RE BANJERCITO IN LA PAZ: I hadn't gotten my Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP) for crossing into mainland Mexico yet, so I figured I'd go to the Banjercito in La Paz. This is the WRONG PLACE to go! Save yourself the hassle and go directly to the Pichilingue ferry and get it there. (If you're lucky, you'll get the same cute young woman working there as I did! Helpful, friendly, and excellent English!) Again, the Banjercito in La Paz wasn't worth going to.

So, after that experience, I met up with friends on a sailboat in a marina in La Paz, and that's where I write from now. We toured the city as tarde turned to noche,

and ate some delicious fresh fish at a restaurant along the Malecon.

This is a little slice of paradise.

Re: oil burning: yes, the KLR is burning some oil, and does so more when the oil gets old. At 5000km it's time for an oil change anyway, but it's taking 1-1.5L extra between changes. I knew this coming in and I must say, it's something I brought upon myself. I'll keep on checking and topping up and hopefully the ol' redbike doesn't grenade on me!

Until next time!!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #40
Hamon OP
I just like riding

A few more shots from La Paz before I head south to meet up with another DualsportBC member and then ferry over to Mazatlan tomorrow (Monday)!

I had errands to do yesterday and figured now was the time to have an oil change done too. I stopped by Motos Baja (which I'd heard somewhere is a good shop to deal with) and saw what they could do. I also figured I'd take a look at my rear suspension again to see if I could get it to stop whining about going over these gosh-darn topes.

Well, I might've tightened up the rear suspension a bit, but more importantly, it's running fresh oil which will take a while before it starts burning off again. At least, that's been my experience prior.

Most importantly, however, was my time spent wrenching in the shop with the other mechanics. These guys were an absolute blast! From the very get-go, I knew they were able to have a bit of fun, and even though communication wasn't the easiest, we made ourselves understood (for better or worse).

The guy in a headlock was a real character. He had the tough-guy thing going on, but we got along really well.

Okay, there's a bit of a story here. I was working around the rear shock and I had bent down to do something. The older guy on the left had been talking on a cell phone just behind me and during his hand-talking, he grabbed my ass! Obviously, shenanigans ensued, and I had to get a picture recreating the moment. As I said, these guys were an absolute riot!

Things got a bit more serious as I was leaving. The older man in the ass-grab picture was looking over my bike and came up to me quite gravely (he spoke English).

"Your bike, it looks pretty good, but you're missing a very very important piece.."
"Oh? What do you mean?"

He paused to highlight the desperation of the situation..

"You don't have a Motos Baja sticker..."
"Oh! Si! Por favor!"

Now we're talkin'.

Peace out, Motos Baja! You guys personify what this trip is all about.

A couple more La Paz pictures.

In a taxi-cab: I wonder what that wooden handle could be attached to.

Aw, just like my Weestrom back home! Well, plus lights and sirens.

Amazing watching this guy make hot dogs, hamburguesas, and burritos (or something similar in a tortilla). 85 pesos got us 2 hamburguesas and a hot dog.

And finally, a shout-out to my gracious hosts for the last two nights! Will & Marilyn.

Their semi-permanent residence is a sailboat! Of course, they move around from port to port, but it seems like they prefer La Paz over any other harbour they`ve encountered.

They`re definitely travelers at heart: exploring Mexico and some of Central America by backpacking, in campers, and now, sailboats. I admire their attitude and am so impressed with the lifestyle that they lead down here.

It makes a person think... I`ll say that.

Hank liked the sailboat portion of this trip too!

And that concludes La Paz!

A quick pop down to Todos los Santos for the night to meet up with a DSBCer and the ferry to Mazatlan leaves tomorrow afternoon. We`ll see when the next updates come. Until then, keep on riding!

Travis
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Spent the night at Lars's place along the Pacific coast. Man, I wish I had more time to spend here (isn't that always the case..). The KLR found an older brother to talk to and I had a phenomenal time hanging with them at their little slice of paradise. A tour of the area last night, amazing meal cooked by chef Lars himself, and chatting long into the night.

This morning was surf fishing, a few more viewpoints, and the best outdoor shower I've ever experienced. Off to Mazatlan on the ferry overnight tonight!

Travis
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #42
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Hola from Petatlan!

Massive amount of photos to sift through and upload, so Iīm going to lump this into a few posts:

Baja and Todos Santos:

So, through a random post up on Dualsportbc, I got connected with Lars and he showed me the sights just south of Todos Santos. What a paradise:

Surfing:

Sunsets:

Sierra mackerel:

And stupendous hosts! Typical couple, eh? Michelle can do nothing but shake her head.

The next morning was up before the crack of dawn to try my hand at another one of Larsī hobbies down here: surf fishing!!

This time around, Lars was having the luck, but we walked home with nothing. The Sierras werenīt biting. Ah well, the views were still phenomenal and bombing around in Larsī sand machine was a blast too.ī

Itīs tough to see, but the roof is made of palms! So cool.

One more stop at a friend of Larsī

Take a good look and you can see why heīs called Einstein.

Back at the ranch, Chica was making sure my belongings were safe.

What more can I say? Gracious hosts and I just wish I couldīve spent more time there! Ah well, all that Iīm seeing is giving me good reason to come back.

Thanks Lars and Michelle!!!!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #43
Hamon OP
I just like riding

The next adventure was the ferry. Iīd heard good things about Baja Ferries, but far less (and even less good) about Ferries TMC. Ah well, this is what the tripīs all about! First off, the terminal was a bit confusing, first going onto the scale, then waiting at the ticket kiosk only to have to go back to the scale to get a weigh slip that theyīd not given me in the first place.

My savior showed up though in the form of a female Harley Rider named Adriana! She spoke a bit of English and helped me through my ticket buying process. Not only that, but she provided a person to talk to, something that I donīt always have not knowing the language. What a cool person! Riding with friends, but on her own motorbike. Throughout the terminal, sheīd don a cowgirl hat to complete the look. I donīt care what you say about safety, etc. She was living the biker life and loving it! You go, Adriana!

Hank sizing up our new method of transport.

The biker corner: each bike was extremely well tied down. This ship, being more of a cargo carrier, knows how to secure things.

We boarded the ferry at 4-ish and set out for the 16 hour voyage. We received 2 square meals (maybe not the highest calibre of cuisine, but it put food in the belly) and then sought out some comfortable space for the night. The options were either the operatorīs cabin or the deck. The cabin was cramped with aircraft-style seating, so out came the inflatable pad and onto the deck I went!

Letīs be realistic, this wasnīt the best night of sleep Iīve ever gotten. It was cold, noisy, windy, and a real experience. That being said, it was as Iīd expected and I loved every minute of it. The only challenge was waking up in the morning with everything damp from the marine air. My brand new sleeping pad aged 100 nights on that one ferry ride, but it still works and is finally aired out after a couple days.

In all, the ferry ride was unforgettable. It will always be a highlight of this trip, both because of the experience and the folks I met on the ferry. Nobody spoke much English, but we were still able to communicate: something I continue to find the case each and every day.

The morning brought Mazatlan.

And the next leg of this journey. A quick GPS log of the ferry stats, started when we began our voyage.

It was time to hit the road, experience some military checkpoints, and see what real Mexico was all about.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #44
Hamon OP
I just like riding

As I made my way out of Mazatlan, I dodged taxi and bus as the open road called me south with its siren song. The truth of this siren song would only become apparent as lunch time came and a massive palapa lured me in. This was Ranch Real Del Paraiso.

I pulled into an empty parking lot (a lot of restaurant parking lots are around here... The bad press has hit Mexico hard: more on that later) and approached a friendly young man. He spoke very good English and invited me inside. Two young women, vibrant in makup and attire, took my order and had fun with the fact that I knew so little of their language. Through our gesturing and quick flipping of my phrasebook, the jukebox started playing music and the dancing began.

When the language got a bit tougher, the young man would help along and it became apparent that Will and Marilynīs predictions were true: it would be pretty easy to find a wife down here, if that was my intention. It wasnīt, but the dancing was still a blast.

The sirenīs song came to a close as the bill came to the table. What I thought was basic fun cost me about 75 pesos more for coins that I supposedly was paying for in the jukebox and a coke that one of the girls decided to have on my expense. Bandits and sirens, but I learned my lesson.

If it seems to good to be true, it is. This only cost me a bit of money, and Iīm glad it didnīt cost me more.

As I rode away shaking my head at being had, I swore Iīd remember this one for future times.

San Blas was my destination for the night, or so I thought.

But the prices were high, and a friendly expat (in Mexico for 26 years or somesuch) suggested I ride another hour south where the prices were lower and the people more dignified. As he put it:

"San Blas started as a pirate town. You may think that pirates are a thing of the past, but their descendants still live here."

He was a lawyer for the local area and said that San Blas had some of the most corrupt governing bodies in Mexico. It was interesting to hear from him, and more interesting to think that heīd lived here for decades knowing this. Ah well, his recommendation brought me to an amazing place (the name escapes me) where 150 pesos (11 dollars) got me this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

Okay, minus the cockroach and the long time to wait for a lukewarm shower, it was a great place to spend the night.

I was only made aware of the cockroach in the morning, so I slept like a baby.

This is Mexico!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #45
Hamon OP
I just like riding

Another day and more riding. As the morning turned to afternoon, I realized Iīd been riding without taking any pictures. An interesting road (Playa del Oro) led me about 10km off the beaten path and I arrived on a sandy beach to a group of ruins: modern ruins.

I got some information from a guy enjoying the view over a few drinks. This used to be a resort or town or something with everything from an airport to a hotel, but for some reason, it shut down. It wasnīt from lack of sun or beach or beauty, but something hit this area. Hard. Iīd see this more as the days went on and I still wonder. Is it political? Tourism related? All of the above?

It wasnīt entirely abandoned, however. Some friendly goats.

And a creature making these tracks. Are these crab tracks?

Man, I could tell you about the beach in Miramar,

the twisties in Michoacan,

or the abandoned hotel where I had the finest breakfast known to man,

but time is short, the road is long, and the KLR is itching to burn some more oil!

Until next time!

Travis