User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Phx, AZ - Anthem to Wickenburg - Box Canyon

Yesterday, AZTom wanted to take a loop ride from Prescott to test out his new Rekluse type clutch on his 650. (It's not a Rekluse but I can't remember the name of the actual company... so until he chimes in...). We met north of Anthem at Table Mesa and I-17. From there, we buzzed down the gas line road, around the southern end of Lake Pleasant and back up the west side to Castle Creek, and then over to Buckhorn Wash. From there, we came into Wickenburg and then up through Box Canyon. Once I got Tom homed in on the right road north back to Prescott, we split up and I pretty much turned around and followed the same path back.

The route...

We kept moving right along and so did not stop for hardly any pictures. Box Canyon...

And a video...

For me, the ride was a total of 146 miles. I think it was a lot more than that for AZTom though. The day was pretty uneventful and I was making really good time until I got back to the north end of Lake Pleasant... flat front...

While I was fixing this thing, I had several tourists stop to ask directions and one offered a ride which I politely declined. This guy was a real ASS as he just walked right by and didn't even offer to help...

I'm sure gettin' tired of flats. It seems like here lately, nearly every time I go out, I catch a nail of some type.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Yesterday, AZTom wanted to take a loop ride from Prescott to test out his new Rekluse type clutch on his 650. (It's not a Rekluse but I can't remember the name of the actual company... so until he chimes in...). We met north of Anthem at Table Mesa and I-17. From there, we buzzed down the gas line road, around the southern end of Lake Pleasant and back up the west side to Castle Creek, and then over to Buckhorn Wash. From there, we came into Wickenburg and then up through Box Canyon. Once I got Tom homed in on the right road north back to Prescott, we split up and I pretty much turned around and followed the same path back.

The route...

We kept moving right along and so did not stop for hardly any pictures. Box Canyon...

And a video...

For me, the ride was a total of 146 miles. I think it was a lot more than that for AZTom though. The day was pretty uneventful and I was making really good time until I got back to the north end of Lake Pleasant... flat front...

While I was fixing this thing, I had several tourists stop to ask directions and one offered a ride which I politely declined. This guy was a real ASS as he just walked right by and didn't even offer to help...

I'm sure gettin' tired of flats. It seems like here lately, nearly every time I go out, I catch a nail of some type.
That picture is funny... it looks like you removed the fork..
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,751
Thanks for the report. That is one of the rides I want to do next time I get that far south.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
That picture is funny... it looks like you removed the fork..
Other side!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,513
Thanks again Tom for showing this old guy all the new places. A little cool when I left Prescott at 7:30 temp was 23 deg. If it gets any more fun than Box Canyon I can't imagine where. My second go round with the Revloc auto clutch, they are no longer in business. Sold it & bought it back. Made some changes in it & it woks like it should awsome!! I got 185 fun miles upon pulling into my garage. That looked like a Burrow you saw, one of my distant relatives Burrows/Burroughs spelled different but same family. I apologize for his indeference I will notify the family about his behavior I came the back way up into Yarnell. While closing a gate along the way these two old guys( about my age) came along on Quads. They were from Wickenberg just out exploring a little. They asked me where I had been riding & where I lived, I was at 135 at that point & I think they thought I was lieing or ought to be commited. I got no pictures but what a great ride. Thanks again Tom.

PS looks like the camera is at the perfect angle. Great video.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Brain
mr. self destruct

Oddometer: 517

Hey, good to see the crutch actually works. Nice ride.

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeh, I was going to send you a PM with that picture... I was too slow.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
knecht
Pain Killer

Oddometer: 46
That place is very nice. I was there in December, unfortunately in a land rover, and not on a bike. But you take what you can get.
knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain View Post

Hey, good to see the crutch actually works. Nice ride.
I notice your camera has a very noticeable magenta cast in the center. Or is it my imagination?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm, your right. I noticed that it seemed green around the edges. It's actually the digital camera on my new Garmin Montana GPS. Perhaps there are some settings I can mess with to improve the image.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Hmmm, your right. I noticed that it seemed green around the edges. It's actually the digital camera on my new Garmin Montana GPS. Perhaps there are some settings I can mess with to improve the image.
DurtKlod, what's your opinion so far on the Montana GPS? I'm still reading the long thread on this and I am not ready to pull the plug on the purchase until I know the bugs are worked out.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm loving it and have not experienced any problems... YET. So far, it's been riding in my pocket or my handlebar bag. Just yesterday, the RAM mounts showed up and I mounted it to the handlebars. We'll see how it holds up after a couple more rides on the rough stuff.
I wanted it for two main reasons...
1. So that I could come back home after a long ride and download the days track into Mapsource for further scrutiny and to share on here.
2. So that when I'm out and about and I come across a strange road, I can pan around on the GPS and see where it goes... and more importantly see where it comes out.
It's done both of those and much more. I've not experienced the battery problem yet and if I notice the screen orientation flipping around while riding the rough stuff, I just found a setting that locks it into the horizontal or vertical position.

I'm not real impressed with the camera but I think I can mess with the settings some more to get it right.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,947
Price

WOW $630 bones... thats a pretty hefty price. What does it do other than pictures and directions???
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
DurtKlod OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another thing that attracted me is that it's got a big touch screen that's easy to read in a variety of lighting conditions and has lots of detail. I see a lot of guys shading their screens to see through the sun glare. Shouldn't have to do that while you are riding.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Looks like a great ride. I am up in Chino Valley near Aztom. Did a run out to Bagdad today thru Hillside to Stanton with a stop of lunch at the Arrowhead Cafe near the green frog on 89. maybe will hook up sometime... surlywill
surlywill is offline   Reply With Quote