Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
tuneEcu is nice and free, but unfortunately it can't map a bike on the run like the PCV+autotune can. Maps on the dyno are a joke in principle, unless all you want is a WOT tuning.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #32
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Maps on the dyno are a joke in principle, unless all you want is a WOT tuning.
Care to elaborate, for a n00b? I got the PCV and dyno tune, and the bike is transformed to something it should have been when I bought it new. Smooth throttle and it pulls strong from 2000rpm.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #33
ElRod
4<2

Oddometer: 280
+1 about Nels at 2wheeldynoworks . Some discussion here.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #34
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
Care to elaborate, for a n00b? I got the PCV and dyno tune, and the bike is transformed to something it should have been when I bought it new. Smooth throttle and it pulls strong from 2000rpm.
Problem is that dynos usually do not replicate well the loads an engine sees on the road. Think of a steady throttle situation. How can the dyno know what resistance to provide to the back wheel and what the aerodynamic resistance would be if the bike was on an open road?

On the other hand, I suspect that to have an excellent map done on a dyno with a brake , then the tuning cost will be more than the cost of an autotune. Besides, if you have it, then you may map yourself any changes you do on the bike thereafter, with the added benefit of having the ability to choose between maps (eg economy map vs performance map) on the fly.

In the next few days I will jump the wagon and get the pcv+autotune for my gen1 hayabusa (which also has an unlocked ECU like the 990's), so I will have the chance to play around a bit and share my findings of how well it does what it says on the tin, if you wish...
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Some of the tuners warn ed me that the auto tune feature can get screwed up by oxygen traving back down the outlet of the exhuast pipe and throwing off the O2 readings. I had a Bazzaz with the auto tune and when I made changes to the bike such as removing a baffle or air box changes I retuned and the bikes performance did improve.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #36
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Some of the tuners warn ed me that the auto tune feature can get screwed up by oxygen traving back down the outlet of the exhuast pipe and throwing off the O2 readings. I had a Bazzaz with the auto tune and when I made changes to the bike such as removing a baffle or air box changes I retuned and the bikes performance did improve.
That's interesting and I could see how that would happen, but it constantly does readings of your exhaust so it should be able to adjust, that's kind of it's selling point. I'm still hopeful about it, I don't need my bike to be a screamer, I'd definitely like more power but the katoom is plenty powerful, I would much rather it just smooth out.

But more importantly how much you selling that Penton for? can you PM some pics?
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote