ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #76
gplracing
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Nova Scotia Canada
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makr View Post
Damn Glyn, I wanna' be able to make pipes like you!

Well Makr if you had boobs like in your Avatar then I would be happy to show you a few tricks to spend a little time with them puppy's
__________________
GPL Racing
Nova Scotia
Canada
gplracing@hotmail.com
http://goo.gl/AazM9
gplracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #77
Makr
I make my own rules
 
Makr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: SL,UT
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplracing View Post
Well Makr if you had boobs like in your Avatar then I would be happy to show you a few tricks to spend a little time with them puppy's

Hey, that's my mom.
Makr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #78
Burro X
>Bikes <Brains
 
Burro X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Houston TX & Wrightwood CA
Oddometer: 653
83" rd500

My 83' RD500 - Lomas Pipes , Fox shock, starts first or second kick - sounds wicked!

Burro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #79
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,112
Just picked this up today..........1985 RZ350 with 566 miles on it.................Wheels have never been removed, original tool kit still in it's spot and the chain still has the factory grease on it!

Guys, where do I go to info on these bikes?? What forum??







Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 AM   #80
JonnyCash
turd polisher
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Midcoast, Maine
Oddometer: 1,345
2strokeworld.com is a great spot. There's several others, but I like 2SW best. Lots of really nice, helpful guys. God that's a nice RZ there!
__________________
I wouldn't bring her home to Mama, but Mama ain't home tonight.
JonnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #81
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
2strokeworld.com is a great spot. There's several others, but I like 2SW best. Lots of really nice, helpful guys. God that's a nice RZ there!
Thanks JonnyCash, I'll check out 2strokeworld!

Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #82
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?
 
Fubars's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ventuna, California
Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Just picked this up today
That's one good looking survivor. I had one just like it 20 years ago. I miss it, of course.
__________________
"My body is a temple"

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #83
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WRW9751's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Ankeny Iowa
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro X View Post
My 83' RD500 - Lomas Pipes , Fox shock, starts first or second kick - sounds wicked!

WOW!
I've slobbered over one of those for years!
Any chance of getting you to do a Ride Review!
What a Nice piece!
WRW9751 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #84
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Thanks JonnyCash, I'll check out 2strokeworld!

Cheers

The 350 side of rzrd500.com is very good, as is RDLCcrazy in the uk.
__________________
My 2 stroke website with my restorations of Honda MT250 & MB5, Yamaha RD LC (421cc), RZ350 YPVS, XT500 Supermoto and others...

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #85
Burro X
>Bikes <Brains
 
Burro X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Houston TX & Wrightwood CA
Oddometer: 653
Quote:
WOW!
I've slobbered over one of those for years!
Any chance of getting you to do a Ride Review!
What a Nice piece!
Thanks !

This bike began life as a full blown roadracer, purchased in Canada, stripped down and raced for several years in the Midwest, winning some championships and many races.
Then it sat for about 10+ years until the original owner did a excellent full restoration (every nut and bolt, every engine part, powdercoating frame,engine cases,wheels etc ) began.
Trying to keep everything original as possible with a few sensible and performance mods ( pipes ) This took another 10 years and many hours plus $$. No, I am not the original owner but purchased it from him, and the bike was about 90% restored already. I always lusted after one of these (I used to see them for sale in Cycle News classifieds in the mid 80's, when I did have a RZ350 ) but raising kids, mortgages, car payments and life came first. Finally 20 + years later I ride my Aprilia to a restaurant, and the waiter tells me the manager has an RD500 ! We strike up a conversation, he doesn't want to sell but I tell him, if you ever do PLEASE contact me. About 2 years later the waiter contacts me and and says he thinks the manager is ready to sell the bike to free up money for another car project. I contact him,find out he also has an RD400 for sale (which I am currently rebuilding ) and make a package deal. So 20+ years later I finally have my RD500 ! I have owned it for about 6 years.
As far as riding this thing, well it is an old bike! The suspension, brakes etc are far from anything a newer bike can offer. The riding position is very comfortable. The transmission has the smoothest shifting I have ever experienced, the engine SOUNDS incredible from idle to redline - pretty much like a 500cc GP bike. Both airbox has been removed so each carb has it's own filter pod and the intake roar sounds pretty cool also. Yes it's pipey and you have to slip the clutch to take off from first with some revs and the engine likes to be kept above 4-5K to make decent power and be happy. It's doesn't accelerate anywhere close to a modern 1000cc sportbike but who cares, it sounds incredible ! It still has functioning oil injection also.
I will try and do a short ride video this summer on the RD500 and post it up right here.....



.
Burro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #86
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
The 350 side of rzrd500.com is very good, as is RDLCcrazy in the uk.

Thanks JonW!
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #87
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WRW9751's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Ankeny Iowa
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro X View Post
Thanks !

This bike began life as a full blown roadracer, purchased in Canada, stripped down and raced for several years in the Midwest, winning some championships and many races.
Then it sat for about 10+ years until the original owner did a excellent full restoration (every nut and bolt, every engine part, powdercoating frame,engine cases,wheels etc ) began.
Trying to keep everything original as possible with a few sensible and performance mods ( pipes ) This took another 10 years and many hours plus $$. No, I am not the original owner but purchased it from him, and the bike was about 90% restored already. I always lusted after one of these (I used to see them for sale in Cycle News classifieds in the mid 80's, when I did have a RZ350 ) but raising kids, mortgages, car payments and life came first. Finally 20 + years later I ride my Aprilia to a restaurant, and the waiter tells me the manager has an RD500 ! We strike up a conversation, he doesn't want to sell but I tell him, if you ever do PLEASE contact me. About 2 years later the waiter contacts me and and says he thinks the manager is ready to sell the bike to free up money for another car project. I contact him,find out he also has an RD400 for sale (which I am currently rebuilding ) and make a package deal. So 20+ years later I finally have my RD500 ! I have owned it for about 6 years.
As far as riding this thing, well it is an old bike! The suspension, brakes etc are far from anything a newer bike can offer. The riding position is very comfortable. The transmission has the smoothest shifting I have ever experienced, the engine SOUNDS incredible from idle to redline - pretty much like a 500cc GP bike. Both airbox has been removed so each carb has it's own filter pod and the intake roar sounds pretty cool also. Yes it's pipey and you have to slip the clutch to take off from first with some revs and the engine likes to be kept above 4-5K to make decent power and be happy. It's doesn't accelerate anywhere close to a modern 1000cc sportbike but who cares, it sounds incredible ! It still has functioning oil injection also.
I will try and do a short ride video this summer on the RD500 and post it up right here.....



.
I tried to bring one in from Toronto in 85', had nothing but trouble and let it lay. Always wished I'd stuck with it long enough to get is across the border. WOW! that's nice!
WRW9751 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #88
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower View Post
Nice videos, I am not light on the throttle, you showed lots of restaint , I have 43 more day's till I can ride mine
Cheers.
From memory, I only carved up one bloke, an acquaintance from this event last year. I was on the 250, he was on his brother Ducati 400 F3.
Through the esses, I lined him up for the inside pass on the 2nd right kink. I got there about 2 metres too late and he had to stand it up. Not close but not necessary, nor smart. He didn't hit me over the head when we caught up later.


I'm getting to love track days. Except I fell off and hurt my ankle with only about 30 seconds left before the chequered flag was shown...

So, now I'm sitting with my foot up, editing videos...

I've just finished yet another.

What some people ride

__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #89
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,112
Great video's man! Sorry to hear about the ankle......these videos bring me back to my LC roadracing days.......thanks!
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #90
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro X View Post
My 83' RD500 - Lomas Pipes , Fox shock, starts first or second kick - sounds wicked!


Hey Burro........where did you get the Lomas pipes from........need to ditch the CAT pipes on my RZ!

Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014