User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Kevlar "Jeans"

I've seen some of these riding jeans advertised and they seem to be very well padded with good stuff in all the right places. Wonder if anyone's had any experience with them and what you think of them? Thanks
390beretta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,462
I have had some Draggin jeans for several years. They do offer better protection than regular jeans but......
Without armor underneath I still consider them lacking compared to real riding pants. They are hotter than regular jeans due to the extra kevlar layer and the fact that they are heavy duty jeans. The kevlar makes them less comfortable unless you wear an extra layer, such as long johns underneath. In hot weather they are hotter than regular jeans and much hotter than mesh pants.

Despite all this I do wear mine around town in cool to moderately cold weather. When you get off your bike and walk around they look like regular jeans and have all the pockets and convenience of regular jeans. I have also tried them for more serious rides with armor underneath but for the most part real riding pants just work better for me.

I have only worn the Draggin brand jeans. Other brands may be different.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
I too, have a pair of draggin jeans. heavy, but fairly comfortable. No padding, just special kevlar panels in the knees and butt. I actually wear them on really hot days around here. They hold moisture better and I can get them wet and get the evap cooling that I don't get with mesh. I'm talking about 100 degree plus days. Under 100 I wear the mesh.

I have not tested the jeans in a crash though.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I have a pair or the Cortech jeans. They are comfortable and as said above somewhat hotter than regular jeans. I use them when I ride to work so I don't have to deal with the on and off of overpants.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Another Draggin' Jeans owner here. Like them for the reasons mentioned above: comfortable, better than nothing, MUCH easier to wear off the bike, etc.

They *do* come with optional armor for the knees and hips, but they're just velcro-stuck to the inside Kevlar. Kevlar is grabby but it ain't velcro, so even though I use it I'm under no illusions that there's a decent chance the armor will slip right out in a serious get-off. Still, again, better than nothing (although do note that unless you're wearing long johns or similar underneath your pants, the knee armor will be solid rubber against your bare knee, i.e. it'll get hot and sweaty there).

Another plus, however, to the kevlar jeans is that they're nice to wear without armor underneath armored overpants-- a little extra level of protection, and a nice pair of jeans once you're off the bike.

That all said, I wish they'd fashion a better method of incorporating the armor in the jeans, either through internal or external pockets (has anyone seen these before? I'm MUCH too fat for something this Euro-stylish, but I'd like pockets like these on the Draggin' Jeans: http://www.uglybros-store.com/Front/...isplay_group=1).
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
I have some Cortech jeans. There is a little bit of knee armor and some kevlar inside over some 'selected' areas. I haven't fallen off in them, but I reckon they are probably better than regular jeans at reducing roadrash. Knee armor, don't know, maybe it would help. They are pretty 'big' and clunky, don't know that they would really be wearable in a work environment.

Also have some Draggin jeans, they are more stylish than the Cortec (you could wear them in business casual) but the stitching is fraying where the inner layer is attached. Wear them sometimes when I want to be better dressed than the Cortech.

All in all, they are suitable for causal motorcycle use. Going on a bigger ride I'll wear my Firstgear overpants.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,463
I have a pair of Cortech kevlar cargo pants. They are seriously heavy duty fabric even without the kevlar panels. I have crash tested them on rocks a few times. Once was a hard hit and slide on my knee. So far I haven't done any damage to the pants.

So I would trust them to hold up reasonably well in a pavement crash. Maybe not as well as riding pants but certainly way better than jeans. The biggest danger is that mine don't zip to the jacket so they might get pulled down in a really ugly crash.

As for armor, I don't trust any built in armor in any riding pants to be where I need it in a crash. So I wear strap on knee/shin guards. In other words the lack of built in armor doesn't matter to me. The big plus with my Cortech cargo pants is they zip apart into shorts for off the bike wear.

Closeout priced at $55 isn't a bad price.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cle_pants.html
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Riding jeans are kind of like chaps or a half helmet, the protection they offer may be better than not having it in some circumstances, but shouldn't be considered a replacement for proper riding gear.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Riding jeans are kind of like chaps or a half helmet, the protection they offer may be better than not having it in some circumstances, but shouldn't be considered a replacement for proper riding gear.
Can't dress like Randy Mamola to work.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,463
The pirate wear thing is a stretch. Obviously you don't want to run a street race in kevlar jeans. But I wear the Cortech jeans in lieu of my kevlar offroad riding pants sometimes. They have held up remakably well to several crashes on rock and gravel.

For dual sport use I consider them to be at least as protective as my MX riding pants. I don't know about the Draggin Jeans brand, but the Cortechs definitely are not in the same category as pirate wear like beanie helmets and chaps. Especially not if you wear pads under them.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:

Or a Volvo station wagon.

Be sure and put on some extra sunblock... don't go in the water for an hour after you eat... you can't have a BB gun, you'll put someone's eye out with that thing!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,701
I have the Cortech DSX Denim Pants. They do have CE approved Knee armor and perforated leather panels inside.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
"Proper riding gear." Do you ride to work in a full two piece hi-viz Tourmaster getup? Do you ride across town to meet friends on a Friday night wearing an Aerostich?

Some of you guys sound like strictly touring riders. That's ok. But these products aren't for you. These jeans are for people who use their bike for transportation on a daily basis and don't want to like like a goofball and walk around in tons of thick layers.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,293
Add Bohn Body Armor underneath.
Still not as good as full gear, but ...
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I don't consider my Draggin' Jeans pirate wear in the least. Yes, I know the denim will shred clean apart atop the kevlar. Ummm, which is why I don't wear regular denim jeans while riding.

Plus, I wear the armor in my jeans (and tall boots to, ummm, boot). For casual riding, that more than qualifies as ATGATT IMO, insofar as *I* feel reasonably protected from the minor to middling accidents.

Am I protected from serious get-offs? Nope. That's an assumed risk. If I plan on doing especially spirited riding or all-weather touring, I'll swap out the jeans for my mesh of my full-up overpants. But the Kevlar jeans are a happy medium for a lazy Sunday ride.

Better than shorts and flip-flops, that's for sure.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote