Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The pirate wear thing is a stretch. Obviously you don't want to run a street race in kevlar jeans. But I wear the Cortech jeans in lieu of my kevlar offroad riding pants sometimes. They have held up remakably well to several crashes on rock and gravel.

For dual sport use I consider them to be at least as protective as my MX riding pants. I don't know about the Draggin Jeans brand, but the Cortechs definitely are not in the same category as pirate wear like beanie helmets and chaps. Especially not if you wear pads under them.
I have worn my draggin jeans with off road strap on knee pads and padded riding shorts with hip pads underneath for dual sport riding. I considered it adequate protection but not as comfortable as MX pants. The main problem was with knee armor underneath, the pants were a little too tight. Also the jean material just isn't the best material to be sweating in all day.

My draggin jeans are about 15 years old and the new ones may have changed some. I had to get them a size larger than my regular jeans. After 15 years of occasional use they are still in very good condition. Your results may vary.

Kevlar jeans are a compromise in protection ( without armor underneath) but not in the same category as beanie helmets. Lets face it, most riding gear other than a full leather racing suit is somewhat of a compromise in protection.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
my dragging jean a good they have kevlar in the ass the legs ect but dont have any armar in then.
i have slid down the road in mine and they were fine at 30ish mph as my leather jacket had marks on the back.
i use my if its warm and dry out side and to work. when i got mine i got the legs to long so they wont rise up when on the bike.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,750
I have a pair of kevlar-reinforced cargo pants from draggin jeans.

Better than nothing, far more comfortable for running errands. I bought them when I noticed myself being too lazy for overpants most of the time. I don't wear them on multi-day trips, but they are great for city stuff. I doubt I could tear all the way thru the ass-kevlar at 30mph.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
"Proper riding gear." Do you ride to work in a full two piece hi-viz Tourmaster getup? Do you ride across town to meet friends on a Friday night wearing an Aerostich?

Some of you guys sound like strictly touring riders. That's ok. But these products aren't for you. These jeans are for people who use their bike for transportation on a daily basis and don't want to like like a goofball and walk around in tons of thick layers.
I just wear jeans or workwork pants, and a Barbour jacket, my only "riding" pants are my rain pants.
I have looked at riding jeans and they don't look like they offer much more in protection.

My bike is my only transportation.

windmill screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 11:06 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
norther
Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer: 187
FWIW. The kevlar in Draggin' Jeans looks the same as the kevlar in a pair of chaps I use when cutting trees. Don't ask how I know - the saw only left a bruise.
norther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
usafe7ret
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I wear the Diamond Gusset kevlar lined jeans when I commute to work on the X9. I have them in black cargo style and blue cargo style. No armor and not too heavy or hot. I like the fact that the gusset in the crotch does like it is advertised and doesn't bunch up the boys!

Made in the USA and not to pricey. They have some decent sales prices and the more you buy, the bigger the discount per pair.

I haven't crash tested them yet and hope I never do, but they do provide some peace of mind on my rides.
usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #22
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 782
I wear heavy denim jeans that have CE armor in the knees.

Since I fall into "use my bike for transportation daily" category, they work just fine. I'm not particularly interested in testing them out any time soon, so I can't say how protected I'll really be in a get off.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

That all said, I wish they'd fashion a better method of incorporating the armor in the jeans, either through internal or external pockets (has anyone seen these before? I'm MUCH too fat for something this Euro-stylish, but I'd like pockets like these on the Draggin' Jeans: http://www.uglybros-store.com/Front/...isplay_group=1).

http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-rid...ing-jeans.html

IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf View Post
"Proper riding gear." Do you ride to work in a full two piece hi-viz Tourmaster getup? Do you ride across town to meet friends on a Friday night wearing an Aerostich?
Yeah, I do.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
milkfiend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I wear Dainese D6 jeans with no armor, just a little kevlar padding sewn in at the knees.

I know its not terribly protective, but at my age (20), looking good when you're out is a lot more important than being safe. Girls aren't excited by a boring safety dork. If I were a more confident rider I'd ditch the riding shoes for some hip sneakers - fortunately, at most parties, it's too dark for people to see your feet
milkfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfiend View Post
I wear Dainese D6 jeans with no armor, just a little kevlar padding sewn in at the knees.

I know its not terribly protective, but at my age (20), looking good when you're out is a lot more important than being safe. Girls aren't excited by a boring safety dork. If I were a more confident rider I'd ditch the riding shoes for some hip sneakers - fortunately, at most parties, it's too dark for people to see your feet

Come on, there's little more sexy than slowly unzipping your textile overpants, and then flinging them off while dozens of shocked onlookers watch, only to surprise them with your jeans underneath.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
I have several pair of SLIDERS brand Kevlar jeans. I get them at compacc.com

The main reason I went with Slider brand is the fact that they come in 36" length and the others do NOT. I later founf reviews that rate them higher than the other brands.

Do Not make the mistake of getting Kevlar jeans with armor pockets in them. The pads are bothersome and will not serve well for impact as they do not stay in place well. If you want armor under them you should buy Bohn to wear under them.

Windmill is correct that they are no substitute for proper riding pants.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Do Not make the mistake of getting Kevlar jeans with armor pockets in them. If you want armor under them you should buy Bohn to wear under them.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of kevlar jeans? Comfort/cooling/convenience/lesstimetogearup?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of kevlar jeans? Comfort/cooling/convenience/lesstimetogearup?
If you want them to function for more than road rash protection then Bohn under armor is the best way to achieve it.

Go ahead and buy some armored Kevlar jeans and find out for yourself how and why they are not a good idea if you wish.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
IRideASlowBike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
If you want them to function for more than road rash protection then Bohn under armor is the best way to achieve it.

Go ahead and buy some armored Kevlar jeans and find out for yourself how and why they are not a good idea if you wish.

No thanks. Not arguing that they offer no impact protection, just saying that maybe a built-in pocket is not a bad thing. After all, overpants carry their armor in pockets.