ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Wyoming Bridger Nat Forest Greys River Rd advice

I'm planning a big dual sport loop this fall and am looking for some local intel. I want to get from Diamondville/Kemmerer up to Alpine through the Bridger National Forest preferably on gravel forest service roads. Loaded KLR/GS type roads. I've attached a route that looks good from here but someone there may tell me I'm nuts. That's OK Big picture I want to get from down near Lonetree up to Teton area and this is the biggest stretch.

thanks for any and all advice!
John

edit: seems I can't attach the gpx here. hmmm... I'm wondering about Greys River Road up to Alpine. Yep just checked and gpx is now only allowed in the gps forum.

edit again: I cross posted this over in the gps forum with the file attached
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=17939295

Sourjon screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 10:22 AM
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
fooswolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I don't see the attached route
fooswolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooswolf View Post
I don't see the attached route
Coming soon. Seems attachments are disabled. I thought it was only photos. I will upload it somewhere and link to it.
Here's a screenshot in the meantime.

John
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Themastermike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Sledded it

I did a snowmobile trip thru there a few winters ago. Would be a good ride on a bike I believe.
Themastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themastermike View Post
I did a snowmobile trip thru there a few winters ago. Would be a good ride on a bike I believe.
Any idea if this is gravel?

John
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer: 996
Cool2

It's a good gravel road about 90 miles long. You'll probably want to get gas in LaBarge before you start out. We camped just north of town on the east side of the river on suggestion from the locals at the only bar.

No liquor store in town but you can buy beer at the bar. This is not the bar. Location, location, location.

Looks like a lot of nice fishing both along the LaBarge River and the Greys River. This was the only wet spot on the road so of course we had to play in the puddle.

Beautiful scenery along the route.

You'll enjoy this route. I also have a good route up from Rock Springs if you're interested. It goes through a wild horse area and onto the Blue Rim. Notice the wild motorcyclists in the background Have fun.
Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.

Graywolf11 screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 12:54 PM
Graywolf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
icebox
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Greys

If you like to fish, bring a stick and some terrestials for the Greys River. Fish aren't too big, but some beautiful water. You won't be alone on weekends, lot's of local and regional folks use the area.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Thanks for the intel! Just what I was looking for. Can't wait to see it all in person.

John
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
I rode it a few years ago. Nice graded forest roads for the most part. Few spots towards the middle, close to the summit it is less smooth. If I remember right, there is a summit with three watersheds. Columbia, Colorado, and Mississippi rivers. Beauiful ride. Fish if you have time.
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
BigE_50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
That will be a gorgeous trip. I haven't ridden it on a motorcycle yet, but I've been around those mountains a bit. I'll have to put that on my motorcycle to-do list.
BigE_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Scout_WY
Pirate

Oddometer: 118
You'll like it!

I'm planning on a back road trip this Summer. Casper to Jackson. Going through the grey area from Pinedale over McDoogle pass (probable spelled wrong). Your ride should be awesome. They have been getting a lot of snow. Probably can't get through there till June is my guess.
Have fun!
Scout

NRA life
Scout_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Thanks guys. How are you connecting to the southern end of the road? Coming in from LeBarge Creek Road off 189? Further south on 189 opposite 372/28 the Emigrant Trail heads west then north and meets the Lebarge Creek Rd. Anybody ever ridden it?

John
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Cool2

This is the route we took from Rock Springs to La barge. If it's wet do not attempt as it is clay and will be very slimey. This route goes through the wild horse area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ro...ra=ps&t=m&z=10

Touring by motorbike, more than any other mode of transportation, allows us to be more fully engaged with people, culture and the natural world - especially the bugs.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Sourjon OP
TAT'erd

Thanks Graywolf. If you go right on across 189 the Emigrant Trail continues west northwest to Greys River Road. I'm guessing it's probably like the section you rode above Rock Springs.

I'm trying to shorten Docking Pilot's Forever West route to a week instead of two and I appreciate the help. We are looking at Sept 9-16 to hit it.

John
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Graywolf11
Lobo Loco Moto

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Thanks Graywolf. If you go right on across 189 the Emigrant Trail continues west northwest to Greys River Road. I'm guessing it's probably like the section you rode above Rock Springs.

I'm trying to shorten Docking Pilot's Forever West route to a week instead of two and I appreciate the help. We are looking at Sept 9-16 to hit it.

John

The La Barge River Road turns into the Immigrant Trail that then turns into the Greays River Road. Just before the top Smith's Fork Road comes in from the west. Where does your route come in from the south beffore you hit La barge?