User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
DUSTSTROM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
How do I buy a jacket?

You all helped on buying a helmet, got the right one first try for my coconut shaped head. Now, how do I go about buying a good jacket and pants? There are hundreds of choices and I don't have a clue where to start. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs, I'm not looking to spend $600 plus, but need a set for this summer trip out west and mostly off road for a month on a XR650 and everything from mountain passes to the desert.
Any suggestions for someone taller and cheaper?
DUSTSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,431
Look around here and check for close outs. http://www.revzilla.com/adv-sport-touring-gear
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Motorcyclegear.com has a "Hard to Fit" section with a decent selection of Tall sizes including close-outs. If you order something that doesn't fit you can return it without hassle and try again. Prices and product descriptions are good too.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
w33b8t1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I am you're height and weight.

Usually I am between an L and XL shirt size and between regular and tall for lengths on shirts.

I bought a SS Hell N Back Jacket in L size. It was on clearance for $150 I think you can still find them. It is tall enough in the arms and body and works well.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
Look around here and check for close outs. http://www.revzilla.com/adv-sport-touring-gear
Read their-Revzilla website as a decent starter. Call them afterwards with questions. Riding style determines jacket type, billfold determines which one and common sense says wear ATGATT! much good stuff here but competition is fierce.
I buy closeouts-ebay is great for dealers going down on price for end of season, old styles,etc.. Alsoany buy stuff & stop riding or change sizes so used makes very good sense in MC gear when you might not consider used clothing for streetwear. Some MC gear sellers have closeouts-google will get you to many. One chain has them routinely.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,198
Try to get to some bike shows like the Cycle World show or some big store, like Iron Pony in Columbus OH or obviously others closer to you if no where near, it's just an example. If you can try stuff on you have a better chance to get what will fit and work. If you get the chance at the shows or store you may be able to pick up a bargain. Sometimes the 2x and 3x can show up as clearance. I've done that at Iron Pony. Or if you can try them on, even if it is one someone has, to gauge size, you can do the same thing - get a bargain.

Sounds like you might want to go with a mesh coat w/waterproof liner, considering it will be summer. Some may be able to suggest some coats. I have a First Gear Kilmanjaro Air that was a clearance, pretty much stole it at $50 new at IP.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
shrederscott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Riding style determines jacket type, billfold determines which one and common sense says wear ATGATT! much good stuff here but competition is fierce.
y.
+1

that is the problem....balancing all that.

My suggestion will be pushing your budget

klims newer mesh induction jacket with d30 armour is like 350-370

then pair that with a decent light weight overjacket for extra warmth and weather protection.

I wear the klim traverse jacket for this function.....but that jacket putts you way over budget.

I suggest a hiking parka style coat for this layer....impact abrasive protection from this layer is not required the induction jacket underneath has that covered.

You will get a GREAT hot weather setup, that will still work in bad weather.

Downside.....it will push your budget.

Scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,875
Tour Master carries quite a few tall sizes, and has very good quality for reasonable prices.

I am 6'6" tall and weigh 275 ish, and their tall XXXL fits great.

I have two of their jackets....a mesh and a textile. Both are holding up great.

I have the version 2 of both of these:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=367&cat=3

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=368&cat=3
Old 02-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
ArmyStrong
6F

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTSTROM View Post
You all helped on buying a helmet, got the right one first try for my coconut shaped head. Now, how do I go about buying a good jacket and pants? There are hundreds of choices and I don't have a clue where to start. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs, I'm not looking to spend $600 plus, but need a set for this summer trip out west and mostly off road for a month on a XR650 and everything from mountain passes to the desert.
Any suggestions for someone taller and cheaper?
Same height but a bit heavier (220). I have an olympia mesh jacket for summer and another for winter. I like their length, it stays below my waste. After 8 years of using the mesh jacket, I am very pleased with how well it has held up, to include one slide. You can get them 25-35% off, I got mine at pandoras BMW in Chattanooga, TN. If you know your size, call them, they will get it and ship it to you cheap, no tax.
ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Girthy Knobkers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post
Same height but a bit heavier (220). I have an olympia mesh jacket for summer and another for winter. I like their length, it stays below my waste. After 8 years of using the mesh jacket, I am very pleased with how well it has held up, to include one slide. You can get them 25-35% off, I got mine at pandoras BMW in Chattanooga, TN. If you know your size, call them, they will get it and ship it to you cheap, no tax.
+1 on the Olympia stuff. Lots of adjust-ability. Seems they fit a lot of different shapes (seeing the wide array of folks I've seen in them ) and they aren't super expensive. Somewhere in the middle of everyone, pricing wise. Quality is good and what you'd expect of an "upper-middle class" brand. I wore the X Moto suit for 4 years before replacing it with the updated version, now called the Motoquest. Only reason for replacing: I like new things Sold the Xmoto suit for a good price and enjoying my new suit!
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
AbqDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
most motorcycle pants suck big-time. Right now I think the best deal going is motorport's 1000d cordura pants. If you want something lighter, check out Aerostich's utility pants, great price for genuine Aerostich stuff. A little pricier but not out of line. Don't skimp on the boots or the britches. Both companies will make sure you're fit properly. Both have very informative web sites.

Pretty easy on the other hand to find a good jacket, just keep an eye out on the websites mentioned here and something yummy will pop up on sale.
AbqDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:14 AM   #12
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,948
It's a good question. Things to look out for....

Arm length when in your riding position - the jacket may feel fine in the shop but then you get on the bike and suddenly the cuffs are half-way up your forearms. Same issue with the back of the jacket - your riding position will influence your choice of jacket.

Armour - I've yet to find a textile jacket where the elbow armour sits where it should and feels secure enough to cope with an off. Shoulder armour can, if not seated properly, interfere with head movement and often there's no back-protector or chest armour. I solved this problem by getting a pressure suit - which gives me everything, and more, that I need. Currently I'm using a hard plastic suit but, when I've got some spare dosh, I'll look at a Forcefield Pro Shirt or the like.

Waterproofing - opinions differ on this but mine is that there's no such thing as a textile jacket that'll remain waterproof for 8 hours whilst doing 60mph + so I use a waterproof over-suit - in my case a Frank Thomas Aquapac. It also acts as an extra layer of insulation which is great for those chilly days.

Ventilation - not all vents, or jackets are created equal - and not all folks need it but I run hot at the best of times so the more air the better. The ability to vent the pits, get some air flowing over the body (in at the front and out the back), a long vent along the sleeve or, even better, removable sleeves, are all things I look for these days.

Styling - IMO it's quite important - function first for sure but if you end with a jacket that you think makes you look like a hi-viz muppet it's probably money badly spent

FWIW my jacket's a BMW RP2 with the somewhat controversial goretex liner - but I love it - when combined with the rain suit, and the pressure suit, it ticks all of my boxes - arm length, warmth, flexibility, pockets in the right places, looks OK.

Leather's a whole other ballgame :)
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,512
Find the shops near you that carry a number of product lines that you are interested in. Go try them on there to make sure that the jacket and pants you want actually fit you.

See if they will price match online. If not, it is still less expensive than paying restocking fees or buying non-returnable close outs online.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,018
Flea market here and perhaps a First Gear kilimanjero (sp?)

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #15
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 2,008
All good replies...

I'm your same size and even though I have a Motoport kit for most applications, I also have some less expensive jackets. Both my Firstgear Rush Mesh jacket and a Scorpion textile/leather were bought at Motorcyclegear.com for under a $100. The Rush Mesh is great for summer use, very light and air really flows through the mesh. The Scorpion (forgot what model) is for commuting and shorter trips. Motorcyclegear.com has great descriptions/photos and a liberal return policy. You probably ought to first look at the long/tall stuff.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse...erties%5B%5D=5

They also have a used customer closet for some good used deals or just prowl the flea market here for stuff but your usually stuck with it if it doesn't fit.

Good luck with your search.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote