Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #91
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Tape the holes up.
Shouldn't need to! But I have found a solution by using my Windstopper cycling beanie, so I will just use this on the colder days.
The company I bought the helmet from has offered to take it back for a full refund, but I really like the rest of this helmet, so will more than likely keep it.
TAM
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #92
cybtech
K13S Rider

Oddometer: 4
Wink

In fact, Shoei is well aware of the problem, there has been complaints all over the world... The shop i bought it from has also been in contact with shoei europe and they told him that the information has been sent back to Japan and that they're already working on a solution. We should hear about it next week. For the moment, i tapped the upper vent as the temperatures this week in Paris will not be very high so i won't need to open it.

As for the "done on purpose" excuse i really doubt it's really so : where air goes through, so does the water... Especialy where it's situated...
cybtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #93
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Schuberth c3

I ordered one from Germany when they first came out. Have spent several hours wearing it. I had to cut away part of the front/top of the lining so it would not continue to kill my forehead. I have read other complaints about this too. Also now the top vent, not just the part that you slide to open and close the top vent but, the entire top piece rattles loudly in a head wind. I can push down on the top of the helmet and stop it. I would have a hard time sliding a piece of paper in the gap between the top vent and the helmet but it can really be loud. Also before every time I put it on I have to return the bottom of the right cheek padding into it's place. It has a small round plastic "wire" looking edge that is always out every time. This helmet costs way too much anyway and for the price they get I would expect a little more for the money.
I also have a Shoei multitech and it is much more comfortable and the build quality is far superior at any price. The only reason I bought the Schuberth was because I wanted the drop down sun visor. Now with Shoei having the Neotec there is no comparision.
I would like to see a comparision of these two after a year or two of use. I have owned one BMW helmet from the 80s that was made by Schuberth that I bought because it was the first flip up and had the drop down dark visor. It wasn't to bad. I bought another non flip up Schuberth and it was not the quality of the first. I ordered the C3 from Germany, site unseen and was relying on all the hype etc. I was initially very impressed with how light it was. After I put it on I discovered why!! Very little padding! The C3 may be OK for a race or for a few hours but, it is intolerable for long rides without modifying that damn thin strip of padding that runs from front to back on the top that eats into your forehead. Also the Germans don't want you to ride with the visor slightly open like I prefer. The first notch in the visor is way too wide so you have to continually reopen it where you want it.
I wish I would have waited until the Schuberth was sold in the USA before I purchased one. Always ride in the helmet first before you purchase it.
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #94
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBEERHUNTER View Post
I ordered one from Germany when they first came out. Have spent several hours wearing it. I had to cut away part of the front/top of the lining so it would not continue to kill my forehead. I have read other complaints about this too. Also now the top vent, not just the part that you slide to open and close the top vent but, the entire top piece rattles loudly in a head wind.
Nothing new about different helmets brands fitting different heads better. Four of my friends and I wear Schuberths and don't have the pressure problem or quality issues with the vents. Like you said, always better to try the helmet first, and buy where you have warranty support. I had an issue with my C2's buckle rusting and Schuberth sent me a new helmet, no questions asked. My C3 has been working flawlessly for more than three years...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #95
Alvibes
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm kind of happy seeing i am not the only one with the vent draft issue with the Neotec... In the sens that i'm not too crazy.
I am agree that such a flow couldn't be design on purpose. If you want a constant aeration you buy a jet helmet

Alvibes screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 07:48 AM
Alvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #96
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,861
Cool2 OT?: Neo vs Multi

I've used the Multi from rides up to 400 miles, it's been fairly comfy, though it was a size small.

Having had some surgery om my ear recently, I didn't want any pressure at all on that healing boo-boo on the week long ride I have planned. Thus the new helmet, and this time back to a medium.

I got the Neo in yesterday and went for a test ride. It fits just like a medium RF1000. About right on the front half, but for me just a tad loose at the rear
With all my medium RF Shoei lids, they became loose as time went on, I'd have to add some padding at the rear. I suspect the same will be needed with this one. Arai's (Q2) fit me better, plain and simple.

First impression out of the box was the Neo felt heavy in my hands compared to an XD3 or Q2 Arai.
I thought about putting it right back in the box and returning it. It looked huge on my pinhead.
Vanity that's me.

The operation of the chin bar feels different. The Multi clink-clanks down, where this one makes a different but softer noise. I felt slight play in the chin bar when closed, figuring this could be a rattly noise issue on the road.
I noticed right away that the shield closes when you open the chin bar, which means when you close the chin bar you have to re-open the shield.
I wasn't crazy about this, idea but I'm finicky.
Eye glasses work well, even with big Wayfarer's.
No binding or searching for your ears.

When I tried it out on the bike around the local canyon loop, first thing I noticed going down my block was, yes, the top vent leaks.
...I'll be taping that shut from the inside in cold weather for now.
Next thing was how nice the field of view is. Almost like you where wearing an open face. The chin bar is not intrusive at all.
I had to check at first to make sure that I actually had it closed...

I like to ride with the visor ope when I can , especially in canyons and around town speeds.
Nice surprise, this Neo is pretty dang quiet.
Up to around 65 with visor open, nice. With the space helmet shade down, nicer.
Visor down really pretty pleasant. Only wind noise was a breezy whisper at the neck base. The Multi had the most noise at the base of all my lids.
Gosh-a-rooney, not even any earplugs in!
I stopped and put in the earplugs,.
Now things where really comfy.

Up on the freeway at 70-80 with some local desert wind which is the worst local scenario, the helmet was stable and quiet.
Really? Well yes, stable and quiet, all that being relative I guess since you are wearing a helmet riding a motorcycle.
Note that I was riding a WR250R with a flyscreen and handguards, but it's fairly nekkid.
The big test will be on the street bike ('06 Multistrada), faster speeds, head pretty much in the wind, hours on end.
Then I'll decide if the Neotec is truly a keeper.
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red
'06 950 ADV Orangeboom
91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 10:59 AM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #97
moggi1964
Tiger Keeper

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I 've used the Multi from rides up to 400 miles, it's been fairly comfy, though it was a size small.

Having hadhad some surgery om my ear recently, I didn't want any pressure at all on that healing boo-boo on the week long ride I have planned. Thus the new helmet, and this time back to a medium.

I got the Neo in yeaterday and went for a test ride. It fits just like a medium RF1000. About right on the front half, but for me just a tad loose at the rear
With all my medium RF Shoei lids, they became loose as time went on, I'd have to add some padding at the rear. I suspect the same will be needed with this one. Arai's (Q2) fit me better, plain and simple.

First impression out of the box was the Neo felt heavy in my hands compared to an XD3 or Q2 Arai.
I thought about putting it right back in the box and returning it. It looked huge on my pinhead.
Vanity that's me.

The operation of the chin bar feels different. The Multi clink-clanks down, where this one makes a different but softer noise. I felt slight play in the chin bar when closed, figuring this could be a rattly noise issue on the road.
I noticed right away that the shield closes when you open the chin bar, which means when you close the chin bar you have to re-open the shield.
I wasn't crazy about this, idea but I'm finicky.
Eye glasses work well, even with big Wayfarer's.
No binding or searching for your ears.

When I tried it out on the bike around the local canyon loop, first thing I noticed going down my block was, yes, the top vent leaks.
...I'll be taping that shut from the inside in cold weather for now.
Next thing was how nice the field of view is. Almost like you where wearing an open face. The chin bar is not intrusive at all.
I had to check at first to make sure that I actually had it closed...

I like to ride with the visor ope when I can , especially in canyons and around town speeds.
Nice surprise, this Neo is pretty dang quiet.
Up to around 65 with visor open, nice. With the space helmet shade down, nicer.
Visor down really pretty pleasant. Only wind noise was a breezy whisper at the neck base. The Multi had the most noise at the base of all my lids.
Gosh-a-rooney, not even any earplugs in!
I stopped and put in the earplugs,.
Now things where really comfy.

Up on the freeway at 70-80 with some local desert wind which is the worst local scenario, the helmet was stable and quiet.
Really? Well yes, stable and quiet, all that being relative I guess since you are wearing a helmet riding a motorcycle.
Note that I was riding a WR250R with a flyscreen and handguards, but it's fairly nekkid.
The big test will be on the street bike ('06 Multistrada), faster speeds, head pretty much in the wind, hours on end.
Then I'll decide if the Neotec is truly a keeper.
Great review.

Waiting to read the 'big test' with anticipation.

I have 5 helmets on my list with this one being the only Modular. Will need to take a trip to Revzilla and see how they all fit.
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #98
cybtech
K13S Rider

Oddometer: 4
Hi guys,

I have had some news from the shop i purchased my neotec from :

Finally, Shoei has come up with a whole new upper vent. The shops will be in charge of changing them...

I hope it won't take too long for the new vent to come from japan as temeratures start rising here in france. (fresh in the morning but a little more than 20 degres in the afternoon.)
cybtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #99
TDMTAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybtech View Post
,I have had some news from the shop i purchased my neotec from :
Finally, Shoei has come up with a whole new upper vent. The shops will be in charge of changing them...
That is interesting to hear, I think I will give the dealer I bought mine from an e-mail.
TAM
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #100
moriver
Lets Go That Way?

Oddometer: 74
Neotech

Went to the shop for a mirror yesterday and put on a Neotech, It was over....Great fit for my 2X "fathead" and the sunshield was a great change for my sunglasses need. The air on the head was not a concern for me. I only ride when its 50 deg or above and to be honest I can not stand a sticky head so bring on the draft. This cap is great, plenty of room for my chin, quiet and 525.00 out the door.
moriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #101
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,407
Air on the head's not a problem, necessarily. Water leaking in IS. I bought from a Shoei-distributor-endorsed vendor at the IMS. Wonder how I get it fixt?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #102
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The problem with pinlocks is sometimes they fog as well (rainy days) and the fog takes far too long to clear behind the pinlock. I run my C3 without the pinlock and it always stays fog free on the move if the chin vent is open.
I've never had a pinlock fog unless it's installed incorrectly. Nothing works better.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #103
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I've never had a pinlock fog unless it's installed incorrectly. Nothing works better.
Mine's done it since I got the helmet, checked and rechecked the installation to make sure it's correct and it still fogged up...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #104
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,168
Quote:
Mine's done it since I got the helmet, checked and rechecked the installation to make sure it's correct and it still fogged up...
Any chance you have it in inside-out. I did that once.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #105
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Nothing new about different helmets brands fitting different heads better. Four of my friends and I wear Schuberths and don't have the pressure problem or quality issues with the vents. Like you said, always better to try the helmet first, and buy where you have warranty support. I had an issue with my C2's buckle rusting and Schuberth sent me a new helmet, no questions asked. My C3 has been working flawlessly for more than three years...
On my 1150gs with a medium ztech. screen my vent rattles. Maybe it is because of the bike and or wind shield but it rattles. My Shoei on the same bike does not rattle the top vent.
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote