ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
elgato gordo OP
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 484
Insurance Scam GEICO

Just got a new insurance policy for my new to me SV650. GMAC $33/yr for just liability. GEICO quotes $136/yr but I have a 3 year old ticket for 10mph over so they change the quote to $238/yr.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
Just got a new insurance policy for my new to me SV650. GMAC $33/yr for just liability. GEICO quotes $136/yr but I have a 3 year old ticket for 10mph over so they change the quote to $238/yr.

Did you tell them about the ticket, before you got the original quote?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Did you tell them about the ticket, before you got the original quote?
You got to admit Mac, 10 years on a ticket!!! Is a little nuts to be asking about. I have never been asked to go that far back. I would actually have NO IDEA. So don't bust his balls about maybe not remember something as simple as a ticket 10 years prior.

GEICO
Government Employee Insurance Company - Before they went public and that is when they went downhill.

I had AAA in MI, they were the cheapest and their agents did stuff for you, not how it works here in CO. So I went back to Progressive - never an issue and I used them on a car claim, it was fine and they were fast. They never asked to go back 10 years...LOL And they only wanted to know points not tickets.

I heard USAA can be good, I tried and my quote was through the roof *shrug* They say call around every year or so and shop yourself around especially if you have a clean record. I would say 10 years is clean for any companies I have asked.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
You got to admit Mac, 10 years on a ticket!!! Is a little nuts to be asking about. I have never been asked to go that far back. I would actually have NO IDEA. So don't bust his balls about maybe not remember something as simple as a ticket 10 years prior.

GEICO
Government Employee Insurance Company - Before they went public and that is when they went downhill.

I had AAA in MI, they were the cheapest and their agents did stuff for you, not how it works here in CO. So I went back to Progressive - never an issue and I used them on a car claim, it was fine and they were fast. They never asked to go back 10 years...LOL And they only wanted to know points not tickets.

I heard USAA can be good, I tried and my quote was through the roof *shrug* They say call around every year or so and shop yourself around especially if you have a clean record. I would say 10 years is clean for any companies I have asked.

Quoted, for reading comprehension...

Read his post again. He said three years, 10 mph.

... and a recent ticket may make me a non-GEICO customer soon. 9mph over, otherwise clean for 5 years - amazingly.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
USAA is awesome for auto, home, renters, life, etc. No hassle with paying claims and I've never received a quote even close from a competitor.... but they don't do bikes. It gets farmed out to Progressive.. You get a "Progressive for USAA customers" program with a co-branded website and phone support.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Quoted, for reading comprehension...

Read his post again. He said three years, 10 mph.

... and a recent ticket may make me a non-GEICO customer soon. 9mph over, otherwise clean for 5 years - amazingly.

"You got to admit Mac, I should keep my mouth shut!!! Im a little nuts to be posting about. I have never been asked to post in anybodies thread. I actually have NO IDEA. So don't bust my balls about maybe not remembering something as simple as a reading and comprehending."

Fixed!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Fixed!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #8
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
"You got to admit Mac, I should keep my mouth shut!!! Im a little nuts to be posting about. I have never been asked to post in anybodies thread. I actually have NO IDEA. So don't bust my balls about maybe not remembering something as simple as a reading and comprehending."

Fixed!
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,310
Almost every company is going to ding you for a ticket if it's been 3 years or less. There are some really broad disparities in moto insurance costs, and it definitely pays to shop around, but caveat emptor, as I have read some horror stories from riders who went cheap on the insurance (mostly small, out-of-state firms)..Penny wise and pound foolish

Disclaimer: I am a loyal Geico customer. I have had only good experiences with their claims and I appreciate the 24/7 service (not sure you would get that with GMAC ). They really went to bat for me when my old R80 was crunched by an asshat in a minivan. I also carry my cage and homeowners insurance with them and get a pretty good discount. I have shopped around in the past, and for example, Progressive gives me a much better rate on the bikes, but the insurance on the truck is much higher so it ends up being a wash.
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
USAA is awesome for auto, home, renters, life, etc. No hassle with paying claims and I've never received a quote even close from a competitor.... but they don't do bikes. It gets farmed out to Progressive.. You get a "Progressive for USAA customers" program with a co-branded website and phone support.
... and I believe better rates the regular Progressive customers. The downside is you still have to listen to Flo chatter away while you're on hold .

Dave
Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
You do realize some of your premium pays for a little green lizard to tell us jokes?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,633
FYI- GEICO is owned by Bershire Hathaway- Warren Buffet's company.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,598
Why do people use Geico or Progressive when there's many other insurance companies way cheaper for the same policy?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 16,633
Amica and Chubb are the only decent insurance companies out there. They are a bit more expensive, but they actually provide the coverage they sell, unlike virtually every other ins co.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Amica and Chubb are the only decent insurance companies out there. They are a bit more expensive, but they actually provide the coverage they sell, unlike virtually every other ins co.
USAA is as good as any when it comes to paying. This is from personal experience of losing our home and virtually everything we own to fire a few years back. Like any insurance company, when you start talking big money you have to stand up for yourself and argue, but they did the right thing and we didn't need attorneys.

Several contractors have told me USAA, Chubb and Amica are the best to work with. I've heard horror stories about State Farm and Allstate.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is online now   Reply With Quote