ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #16
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,838
What weight of synthetic oil do you prefer in the winter?




Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,332
I think we can find horror stories with any insurance company. For that matter good stories too.

My parents have State Farm, low rates...and when a washer hose broke during the night and flooded the house while I was living there (they were overseas) they went far beyond what you would expect. But it has to do with the claims agent / adjuster....that guy was impressed at the WORK I did to CLEAN the place while waiting the week for them to come out. He said most people would LEAVE the water and let it mold up, I sprayed bleach/water on everything, I bought a shop-vac and sucked up the water in the basement.

For this, they classified my parents items, unique from around the world as ART. Which simply means name a value and we pay it. My parents had replacement cost anyways. So yeah, they have been real happy with State Farm.

Could of all went differently if the adjuster has an ass.

I said Progressive was good on working with us on my wife's last Ford Edge. But I had them before and their repair center was a joke when I had major damage to a Ford Explorer. Again depends where you are, who you deal with.

AAA - We have had a roof claim out here, shingles blown off a section...they wrote it up as hell damage and handed ME a check, then I haggled with a company and paid him. I was out of pocket $20 for the whole new roof. Some will praise AAA...no I got an easy going person was all.

Then with our windows last year, almost every glass pain was leaking. I call AAA for the hell of it and they come out. They ended up Covering like $8,000 after the $1,000 deductible was taken off...so we got ALL new windows for $10K...heck they even went back and paid me for the Mil-guards I had put in, in the basement...I still had the wood window seal that showed water stain.

So yes I would recommend AAA, but at the end of the day I would not say the company as a whole came to bat for me. I just been lucky with a few adjusters. I'm friendly tot hem when they come, I offer them something to drink, I'm not demanding. This ends up reflecting on your service at the end of their day when they are submitting the reports...you want to be the FRIENDLY person not the one that made them wish for a career change.

As for the ticket being 3 years only...ops on my part. Secret is liability only on a motorcycle...I know I know this opens up a debate. When I bought my 2001 FZ1 in 2000 (yes I paid to have the FIRST), I had to go with liability only back in MI that was like $200 a year, later with a few tickets it was like $250 a year, moved here it dropped to $100 a year, after the 99 in a 65 ticket it went back to $200. 48K miles, only time I DROPPED the bike it was my fault in TN on the interstate...I was riding like a young asshat that I was. I damaged it, so I fixed a few things and lived with the road rash (it adds character). Before that on my new 1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250 I paid a whooping $60 a year for liability only in MI where insurance is HIGH due to NO fault. My wife's 2004 Honda 599, we paid $350 in MI and like $250 here in CO for full coverage....I was worried more about theft on hers as she road it to work.

Word of advise, never talk UP your motorcycle. Always talk down about it to strangers. The one time I lived in an apartment a kid from the complex was installing the garage door open (special deal) and saw my FZ1, he was asking too many question for a non rider), I looked at him and said "This thing is a piece of junk with the transmission issues and other issues, it's not worth much).....he became not interested at all. I have always done that, you avoid theft if they think the item is SHIT.

Anyways, shop around....
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
What weight of synthetic oil do you prefer in the winter?






You tell me:

__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 18,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Iwish for a career change.

As for the ticket being 3 years only...ops on my part. Secret is liability only on a motorcycle...I know I know this opens up a debate. When I bought my 2001 FZ1 in 2000 (yes I paid to have the FIRST), I had to go with liability only back in MI that was like $200 a year, .

Anyways, shop around....
This is absolutely, unequivocally the worst advice ever given on this forum.

"Liability only" means that you are ONLY insuring anyone and everyone BUT YOU!!!!

Seriously- how often are bikers at fault for a collision? Even if we are at fault, how often do we severely injure someone? The vast majority of the time, some cage knocks us off the road. Then, we have to rely on their insurance coverage. The minimum liability coverage in CO is 25k. How much hospitalization will that cover?

The law mandates that we have liability coverage. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is offerred on all policies and you have to proactively opt out of it if you don't want it. It's just plain CRAZY to opt out!

Your UM/UIM coverage can only be as high as your liability coverage- in other words, if you buy 25k in liability coverage, you can only buy up to 25k in UM/UIM coverage. 100k liability means you can buy 100k UM/UIM. Personally, I have 500k coverage.

No offense Modette- but your advice here is dangerous.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus
 
TaterHarry's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NNM
Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
This is absolutely, unequivocally the worst advice ever given on this forum.
You've obviously never followed the posts in GSpot
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
This is absolutely, unequivocally the worst advice ever given on this forum.

"Liability only" means that you are ONLY insuring anyone and everyone BUT YOU!!!!

Seriously- how often are bikers at fault for a collision? Even if we are at fault, how often do we severely injure someone? The vast majority of the time, some cage knocks us off the road. Then, we have to rely on their insurance coverage. The minimum liability coverage in CO is 25k. How much hospitalization will that cover?

The law mandates that we have liability coverage. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is offerred on all policies and you have to proactively opt out of it if you don't want it. It's just plain CRAZY to opt out!

Your UM/UIM coverage can only be as high as your liability coverage- in other words, if you buy 25k in liability coverage, you can only buy up to 25k in UM/UIM coverage. 100k liability means you can buy 100k UM/UIM. Personally, I have 500k coverage.

No offense Modette- but your advice here is dangerous.
By what I have saved in liability, I can go buy a $10K motorcycle and not blink, yes that is what I have saved if not more (I once figured it out). Insurance is there to make money. Say if I would have TOTALED my bike back then...so what, its a $10K bike not the end of the world. I was not about to pay $1,200 or more as a lot of places quoted for a motorcycle as such. The highest quote I got for full coverage was something like $15,000 a YEAR...when the FZ1 came out it was being discussed as a naked R1. Yes, it was nutty to try and get full coverage. Even my little Ninja 250 for full coverage was quoted at $400 to $800 a year...its a $2,999 bike back then...I'm not paying half the bike in the years I had it for insurance...just on the OFF chance someone hits me.

I do have full coverage on the XRR because its $120 a year with a $100 deductible *shrug* Liability is only $40 a year I think I was quoted. I'm not sweating a $120. But again, the bike is stolen or totaled...not a huge deal. I'll go buy another.

My advise stands, but it depends on THE PERSON, you got to run the numbers. I know what I saved in all my years. Remember they are in business to make money, likelihood you getting in a wreck with significant loss is small. My father has not been in a wreck for 30+ years....I know lots of people like this. No claims, but yet pay for full coverage *shrug* Put it this way, they bet you will not crash, you are betting that you will. Typically the house has the upper hand here.

By the way my liability coverage those years were either $100K or $250K I forget now. I never opted for the base (not even sure what that is).
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders

modette screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 02:45 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,513
I would advocate anyone that has any assets worth keeping to get a $1M umbrella policy that covers your house(s), car(s), bike(s) and you and your spouse personally. It's very cheap.

We used to have the old 100/300/50K limits on our cars and bikes. After being involved in a pedestrian accident where we were hit by another driver we learned a lot. He had a $1M policy with USAA. It's a good thing he did. If he had had 100/300/50 he'd have been in a world of hurt.

We approached our own State Farm agent and am now covered for $1M for everything. We want to be sure we're covered if something happens to us or if we somehow damage anyone else.

I would not get in my car or ride my bike with only minimal liability insurance. No way. Never. Just my .02. But after seeing how even a small mistake can cost someone (you or your insurance company) $1M or more easily it opens your eyes.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I would advocate anyone that has any assets worth keeping to get a $1M umbrella policy that covers your house(s), car(s), bike(s) and you and your spouse personally. It's very cheap.

We used to have the old 100/300/50K limits on our cars and bikes. After being involved in a pedestrian accident where we were hit by another driver we learned a lot. He had a $1M policy with USAA. It's a good thing he did. If he had had 100/300/50 he'd have been in a world of hurt.

We approached our own State Farm agent and am now covered for $1M for everything. We want to be sure we're covered if something happens to us or if we somehow damage anyone else.

I would not get in my car or ride my bike with only minimal liability insurance. No way. Never. Just my .02. But after seeing how even a small mistake can cost someone (you or your insurance company) $1M or more easily it opens your eyes.

Tom
Edited:
Looked it up, yep so you need to still have a basic policy, but if someone sues you then it kicks in after that lower (traditional) policy is exhausted. But yeah, sounds like a good idea. I might ask a few agents about it.
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders

modette screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 02:56 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 18,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
By what I have saved in liability, I can go buy a $10K motorcycle and not blink, yes that is what I have saved if not more (I once figured it out). Insurance is there to make money. Say if I would have TOTALED my bike back then...so what, its a $10K bike not the end of the world. I was not about to pay $1,200 or more as a lot of places quoted for a motorcycle as such. The highest quote I got for full coverage was something like $15,000 a YEAR...when the FZ1 came out it was being discussed as a naked R1. Yes, it was nutty to try and get full coverage. Even my little Ninja 250 for full coverage was quoted at $400 to $800 a year...its a $2,999 bike back then...I'm not paying half the bike in the years I had it for insurance...just on the OFF chance someone hits me.

I do have full coverage on the XRR because its $120 a year with a $100 deductible *shrug* Liability is only $40 a year I think I was quoted. I'm not sweating a $120. But again, the bike is stolen or totaled...not a huge deal. I'll go buy another.

My advise stands, but it depends on THE PERSON, you got to run the numbers. I know what I saved in all my years. Remember they are in business to make money, likelihood you getting in a wreck with significant loss is small. My father has not been in a wreck for 30+ years....I know lots of people like this. No claims, but yet pay for full coverage *shrug* Put it this way, they bet you will not crash, you are betting that you will. Typically the house has the upper hand here.

By the way my liability coverage those years were either $100K or $250K I forget now. I never opted for the base (not even sure what that is).
You missed the point. This isn't about comprehensive and collision. It is about uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If you have liability only, you do not have UM/UIM. If you are hospitalized for a week or two, your bill be at least 100k. There's a very good chance the guy who hit you has no insurance or only the minimum allowed- which is 25k. With a 100k bill, that leaves you 75 k in the hole. Then, you start adding up the after hospital discharge costs, the time out of work, the loss of access to employment, and on and on.

And, although the liklihood of getting into a serious wreck is small, the bill for it is huge.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #25
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 18,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I would advocate anyone that has any assets worth keeping to get a $1M umbrella policy that covers your house(s), car(s), bike(s) and you and your spouse personally. It's very cheap.

We used to have the old 100/300/50K limits on our cars and bikes. After being involved in a pedestrian accident where we were hit by another driver we learned a lot. He had a $1M policy with USAA. It's a good thing he did. If he had had 100/300/50 he'd have been in a world of hurt.

We approached our own State Farm agent and am now covered for $1M for everything. We want to be sure we're covered if something happens to us or if we somehow damage anyone else.

I would not get in my car or ride my bike with only minimal liability insurance. No way. Never. Just my .02. But after seeing how even a small mistake can cost someone (you or your insurance company) $1M or more easily it opens your eyes.

Tom
Good post Tom. The only caveat I would mention is to ensure that your Umbrella covers you in the event of a motorvehicle collision. Tom- I am pretty sure State Farm DOES NOT provide motor vehicle coverage on their umbrella policy. Please check with your agent- have him show you where in the declarations page it says you are covered and ask him to provide you the policy with a cite to the policy language indicating you ARE covered by the umbrella if injured in a motor vehicle collision that is not your fault.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #26
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
You missed the point. This isn't about comprehensive and collision. It is about uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If you have liability only, you do not have UM/UIM. If you are hospitalized for a week or two, your bill be at least 100k. There's a very good chance the guy who hit you has no insurance or only the minimum allowed- which is 25k. With a 100k bill, that leaves you 75 k in the hole. Then, you start adding up the after hospital discharge costs, the time out of work, the loss of access to employment, and on and on.

And, although the liklihood of getting into a serious wreck is small, the bill for it is huge.

I did not miss the point, you assume the worst in life, I assume the best. Chances are I will live without any worries like most American's. I have health insurance, ours pays 100% after like $6K I think it is. So I be out $6K.

Worst case, I do what all the illegals do and no pay *shrug* Or I haggle the bill. They have little recourse, could drive someone to file bankruptcy but then they get ZERO.
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 18,675
I just got off the phone with a young woman. She, her husband and their 3 kids were driving down the road when hit by a drunk driver. Her youngest son, 9 years old, was killed. Her arm was so severely damaged she had to have it amputated. Everyone else had severe injuries as well. The drunk had the minimum policy limits of 25k per person 50 k per accident. The caller too had the minimum 25/50 limits. This family will recover only $100,000 for the loss of their son and all their injuries. The flight for life bill alone is expected to be around $25,000.00.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,816
+1 on Unaweep's thoughts about UM/UIM coverage. There is no better insurance dollar that you can spend, and believe me, I KNOW that insurance companies regularly take advantage of their insureds (you). In NM, the policies stack to the benefit of every household member. That means if your kid is injured in a friend's car he would still benefit from your UM/UIM policy on another vehicle (assuming the injury arose from a tortfeaser's use of another vehicle). You can't beat that.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 18,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I did not miss the point, you assume the worst in life, I assume the best. Chances are I will live without any worries like most American's. I have health insurance, ours pays 100% after like $6K I think it is. So I be out $6K.

Worst case, I do what all the illegals do and no pay *shrug* Or I haggle the bill. They have little recourse, could drive someone to file bankruptcy but then they get ZERO.
See the post I just posted. They assumed the best in life, too.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #30
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
See the post I just posted. They assumed the best in life, too.
My policy auto:
Uninsured/Underinsured $50,000 each person / $100,000 each accident
Liability to others / Bodily Injury Liability $250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident
Property Damage $100,000 each accident
Medical Payments $5,000 each person
Comprehensive $100 ded
Collision $250 ded

XR650R policy:
(Not worried about uninsured as I don't ride street)
Liability to others / Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 each person / $300,000 each accident
Property Damage $50,000 each accident
Comprehensive $50 ded
Collision $50 ded
Accessory Coverage $3,000
$94 per year (must of went down)
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014