ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #61
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Allstate quoted me a premium that 1/2 of Safeco. I poked around to figure out why...it didn't take long. I know some have had good luck, however, the stats show that many are no. I don't want half my house to be burned to the ground only to have Allsnake show up with a 10k check hoping I will accept it.

So Unaweep...who is the best and who do you use?
Well, the best is hard to determine. I really like AMICA and Chubb. But Amica doesn't write bike policies in CO. I can't recall exactly whether Chubb does or not, but I think they do. I, unfortunately, don't take my own advice. I'm insured with Travelers right now- only because a good friend is an agent and I wanted to help him out.

As a practical matter, though, as an attorney practicing plaintiff's personal injury work, I'm not worried about forcing the insurance company to do the right thing. I can file suit the same day I discover something I don't like and not be burdened by atty fees. Plus, I know their tricks, so I'm not gonna get sucked into a trap.

That being said, I was discussing this with my paralegal this am and we both acknowledged the need to bite the bullet, set aside some time, gather up all the dec pages and make the call. 3 cars, 2 bikes, an RV, a trailer and the house make it somewhat of a time consuming process. My main motivating factor is that I don't want to support a lousy insurance company.

Good luck guys! (in a non-gender-specific way)
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #62
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Unaweep-thanks. Misery Goat really like Amfam and I have never heard of Chubb...will have to look into them. You know, that link you provided shows some interesting numbers of profit margins. If my company made profits like the ones mentioned for insurance companies on such low asset levels...we would be throwing parties with strippers every year.

Anyway...

Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #63
Colorado970
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Progressive quoted me $1,400 for my yearly insurance for my road bike. State Farm $500, Geico $258 in New Mexico.

Geico quoted me $188 for my road bike AND dirtbike in Colorado.

???

Erik
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #64
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,845
Did you ask for a breakdown of fees?

With progressive I find I can see an exact list of what costs what and adjust things as I want.
To take my coverage from $500K to $1M was only like $8.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #65
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Unaweep-thanks. Misery Goat really like Amfam and I have never heard of Chubb...will have to look into them. You know, that link you provided shows some interesting numbers of profit margins. If my company made profits like the ones mentioned for insurance companies on such low asset levels...we would be throwing parties with strippers every year.

Anyway...

Thanks again.
Beware- AmFam is notoriously bad in CO. They were just "dinged" with a $150,000 verdict for refusing to pay a $700 med bill. There are class actions pending in CO right now as well. Am Fam hires a NURSE to decide whether the treatment recommendations of an orthopedic surgeon, neurologist, neurosurgeon etc- are appropriate. Definitely one to avoid in my opinion.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #66
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Beware- AmFam is notoriously bad in CO. They were just "dinged" with a $150,000 verdict for refusing to pay a $700 med bill. There are class actions pending in CO right now as well. Am Fam hires a NURSE to decide whether the treatment recommendations of an orthopedic surgeon, neurologist, neurosurgeon etc- are appropriate. Definitely one to avoid in my opinion.

Wow-thanks. A nurse huh? Interesting.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #67
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,964
Interesting article unaweep.

Btw.. you happen to know anyone that writes homeowners policies in CO that doesn't use "recoverable depreciation" when paying claims? The concept to me is shit: we agree on the amount of your losses... we agree these are covered and we owe you money..buuuuut.. we're not going to give you a huge chunk of your money until after you replace the damage and show us receipts. So in the mean time you're left financing several hundred thousand in repairs while the insurance co sits on your check.

All insurance companies suck.. deciding who to use is a matter of which sucks the least.

PS - checking through my Progressive bike policy more closely I realized they somehow didn't list my motorcycle license endorsement.. just correcting that alone dropped off $20/year..

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #68
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Interesting article unaweep.

Btw.. you happen to know anyone that writes homeowners policies in CO that doesn't use "recoverable depreciation" when paying claims? The concept to me is shit: we agree on the amount of your losses... we agree these are covered and we owe you money..buuuuut.. we're not going to give you a huge chunk of your money until after you replace the damage and show us receipts. So in the mean time you're left financing several hundred thousand in repairs while the insurance co sits on your check.

All insurance companies suck.. deciding who to use is a matter of which sucks the least.

PS - checking through my Progressive bike policy more closely I realized they somehow didn't list my motorcycle license endorsement.. just correcting that alone dropped off $20/year..
Thump- I don't. Since I rarely get involved with home owners insurance disputes, I don't have a good grasp on such issues.

Meter Pig- Yep. A freaking nurse. They are still doing it, too, even while class actions are pending against them.

Quick story about Am fam- I represent a fellow injured in a car wreck. He had insurance with Am Fam. The guy who hit my client was insured by Am Fam also. My guy was seriously injured. Am Fam liability- the part of the company insuring the at-fault driver) paid my guy the policy limits of 100k. We then go to Am Fam's uninsured motorist division and present a UIM claim. They demand documents for over a year, arguing they need to get these figures to "offset" some of my guys damages. I explain to them they cannot offset the amounts they are trying to offset- I send them a Colo Supreme court case in which they were a party, where they raised the same issue and lost- at trial, in the Court of Appeals and in the CO Supreme Court. They refuse to back down.

After 15 months of pleading and cajoleing to get an answer from these guys, they retract their position on offsets and simply assert my client's damages were adequately covered by the 100k already tendered- they won't pay any more.

Delay, deny and defend.

What makes this particularly egregious is that Am Fam owes its own insured- my client- a duty of good faith and fair dealing. Does their conduct sound like good faith and fair dealing?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #69
MeterPig
Meh

Interesting.

Amica and CHUBB top of the list. I will put out a call to CHUBB on Monday.

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/indexdetaillist.html
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #70
MeterPig
Meh

So, just to revive this thread...

Safeco is apparently one of the few to offer zero deductible on glass coverage. In the last year, we have had about 1000 bucks worth of glass replaced. So...this year it seems quite worth it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #71
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
So, just to revive this thread...

Safeco is apparently one of the few to offer zero deductible on glass coverage. In the last year, we have had about 1000 bucks worth of glass replaced. So...this year it seems quite worth it.
I am with state farm and I have a zero deductible on glass coverage.
Jinny
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #72
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_redhabu View Post
I am with state farm and I have a zero deductible on glass coverage.
I would go with State Farm but for some strange reason...they want to be paid back for a large claim way back in 2003
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #73
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,629
I just switched from State Farm (homeowners + truck) and Geico (3 bikes) and put everything in Allstate. Saved several hundred bucks even though State Farm was not including a claim (and Allstate was) that I had 2 yrs ago involving a parking lot fender scrape.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #74
capcrazy
what, me worry?

Oddometer: 156
1985 Suzuki RM250 (ridden until frame broke in 2001)
1985 Kawasaki KDX 200 (still works)
2005 KTM MXC 450 (titled as a street bike with plates)
2009 KLR 650
capcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #75
MeterPig
Meh

I want to own a club can chevy 4x4 someday. Ah the memories.