ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #61
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Allstate quoted me a premium that 1/2 of Safeco. I poked around to figure out why...it didn't take long. I know some have had good luck, however, the stats show that many are no. I don't want half my house to be burned to the ground only to have Allsnake show up with a 10k check hoping I will accept it.

So Unaweep...who is the best and who do you use?
Well, the best is hard to determine. I really like AMICA and Chubb. But Amica doesn't write bike policies in CO. I can't recall exactly whether Chubb does or not, but I think they do. I, unfortunately, don't take my own advice. I'm insured with Travelers right now- only because a good friend is an agent and I wanted to help him out.

As a practical matter, though, as an attorney practicing plaintiff's personal injury work, I'm not worried about forcing the insurance company to do the right thing. I can file suit the same day I discover something I don't like and not be burdened by atty fees. Plus, I know their tricks, so I'm not gonna get sucked into a trap.

That being said, I was discussing this with my paralegal this am and we both acknowledged the need to bite the bullet, set aside some time, gather up all the dec pages and make the call. 3 cars, 2 bikes, an RV, a trailer and the house make it somewhat of a time consuming process. My main motivating factor is that I don't want to support a lousy insurance company.

Good luck guys! (in a non-gender-specific way)
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #62
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Unaweep-thanks. Misery Goat really like Amfam and I have never heard of Chubb...will have to look into them. You know, that link you provided shows some interesting numbers of profit margins. If my company made profits like the ones mentioned for insurance companies on such low asset levels...we would be throwing parties with strippers every year.

Anyway...

Thanks again.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #63
Colorado970
Studly Adventurer
 
Colorado970's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Junction, Co. Born and Raised here.
Oddometer: 915
Progressive quoted me $1,400 for my yearly insurance for my road bike. State Farm $500, Geico $258 in New Mexico.

Geico quoted me $188 for my road bike AND dirtbike in Colorado.


???


Erik
__________________
"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
Colorado970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #64
Geek
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft, Twin Spruce Gap, Colorado
Oddometer: 29,845
Did you ask for a breakdown of fees?

With progressive I find I can see an exact list of what costs what and adjust things as I want.
To take my coverage from $500K to $1M was only like $8.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #65
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Unaweep-thanks. Misery Goat really like Amfam and I have never heard of Chubb...will have to look into them. You know, that link you provided shows some interesting numbers of profit margins. If my company made profits like the ones mentioned for insurance companies on such low asset levels...we would be throwing parties with strippers every year.

Anyway...

Thanks again.
Beware- AmFam is notoriously bad in CO. They were just "dinged" with a $150,000 verdict for refusing to pay a $700 med bill. There are class actions pending in CO right now as well. Am Fam hires a NURSE to decide whether the treatment recommendations of an orthopedic surgeon, neurologist, neurosurgeon etc- are appropriate. Definitely one to avoid in my opinion.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #66
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Beware- AmFam is notoriously bad in CO. They were just "dinged" with a $150,000 verdict for refusing to pay a $700 med bill. There are class actions pending in CO right now as well. Am Fam hires a NURSE to decide whether the treatment recommendations of an orthopedic surgeon, neurologist, neurosurgeon etc- are appropriate. Definitely one to avoid in my opinion.

Wow-thanks. A nurse huh? Interesting.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #67
thump_co
..ouch
 
thump_co's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: 8532'
Oddometer: 1,964
Interesting article unaweep.

Btw.. you happen to know anyone that writes homeowners policies in CO that doesn't use "recoverable depreciation" when paying claims? The concept to me is shit: we agree on the amount of your losses... we agree these are covered and we owe you money..buuuuut.. we're not going to give you a huge chunk of your money until after you replace the damage and show us receipts. So in the mean time you're left financing several hundred thousand in repairs while the insurance co sits on your check.

All insurance companies suck.. deciding who to use is a matter of which sucks the least.

PS - checking through my Progressive bike policy more closely I realized they somehow didn't list my motorcycle license endorsement.. just correcting that alone dropped off $20/year..
__________________
Ride

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #68
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids
 
unaweep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Colorado
Oddometer: 17,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Interesting article unaweep.

Btw.. you happen to know anyone that writes homeowners policies in CO that doesn't use "recoverable depreciation" when paying claims? The concept to me is shit: we agree on the amount of your losses... we agree these are covered and we owe you money..buuuuut.. we're not going to give you a huge chunk of your money until after you replace the damage and show us receipts. So in the mean time you're left financing several hundred thousand in repairs while the insurance co sits on your check.

All insurance companies suck.. deciding who to use is a matter of which sucks the least.

PS - checking through my Progressive bike policy more closely I realized they somehow didn't list my motorcycle license endorsement.. just correcting that alone dropped off $20/year..
Thump- I don't. Since I rarely get involved with home owners insurance disputes, I don't have a good grasp on such issues.

Meter Pig- Yep. A freaking nurse. They are still doing it, too, even while class actions are pending against them.

Quick story about Am fam- I represent a fellow injured in a car wreck. He had insurance with Am Fam. The guy who hit my client was insured by Am Fam also. My guy was seriously injured. Am Fam liability- the part of the company insuring the at-fault driver) paid my guy the policy limits of 100k. We then go to Am Fam's uninsured motorist division and present a UIM claim. They demand documents for over a year, arguing they need to get these figures to "offset" some of my guys damages. I explain to them they cannot offset the amounts they are trying to offset- I send them a Colo Supreme court case in which they were a party, where they raised the same issue and lost- at trial, in the Court of Appeals and in the CO Supreme Court. They refuse to back down.

After 15 months of pleading and cajoleing to get an answer from these guys, they retract their position on offsets and simply assert my client's damages were adequately covered by the 100k already tendered- they won't pay any more.

Delay, deny and defend.

What makes this particularly egregious is that Am Fam owes its own insured- my client- a duty of good faith and fair dealing. Does their conduct sound like good faith and fair dealing?
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #69
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Interesting.

Amica and CHUBB top of the list. I will put out a call to CHUBB on Monday.

http://www.badfaithinsurance.org/indexdetaillist.html
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #70
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
So, just to revive this thread...

Safeco is apparently one of the few to offer zero deductible on glass coverage. In the last year, we have had about 1000 bucks worth of glass replaced. So...this year it seems quite worth it.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #71
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....
 
enigmatic_redhabu's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Littleton, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
So, just to revive this thread...

Safeco is apparently one of the few to offer zero deductible on glass coverage. In the last year, we have had about 1000 bucks worth of glass replaced. So...this year it seems quite worth it.
I am with state farm and I have a zero deductible on glass coverage.
__________________
'05 Honda CRF 230F Red Pony
'03 BMW F650GS Silver Ice
'07 HD XL1200L Sportster Black Beauty
Jinny
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #72
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_redhabu View Post
I am with state farm and I have a zero deductible on glass coverage.
I would go with State Farm but for some strange reason...they want to be paid back for a large claim way back in 2003
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #73
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,629
I just switched from State Farm (homeowners + truck) and Geico (3 bikes) and put everything in Allstate. Saved several hundred bucks even though State Farm was not including a claim (and Allstate was) that I had 2 yrs ago involving a parking lot fender scrape.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #74
capcrazy
what, me worry?
 
capcrazy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 156
__________________
1981 Suzuki DS125 (still sitting in barn)
1981 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1982 Suzuki RM250 (cannibalized for parts)
1985 Suzuki RM250 (ridden until frame broke in 2001)
1985 Kawasaki KDX 200 (still works)
2005 KTM MXC 450 (titled as a street bike with plates)
2009 KLR 650
capcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #75
MeterPig
Meh
 
MeterPig's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Parker, Colorado...
Oddometer: 17,090
I want to own a club can chevy 4x4 someday. Ah the memories.
__________________
You looked down here...didn't you.
MeterPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014