ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #16
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
I'm in, fellas.

Waxie, I'm gonna have to agree with Pengy . . . after the first two, you're officially relieved of your obligation. Come join us.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #17
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
My wife and married daughter both enjoyed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msells
I'm in unless I get a conflict. Might bring the wife. Wonder if there's any girly movies showing at the same time?

It's actually a pretty good documentary movie, in addition to being a great action movie....don't hesitate to bring the women......

they might get to liking this stuff if they see this movie....

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #18
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
Depending on showtime, I should be in. (I can't leave the house here in East Cobb until around 7-ish, maybe earlier if needed.....)

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #19
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
I saw a clip about this flick on TWT that got tivo'ed last night. Can't wait to see it.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #20
jussi
IBA#21420

Oddometer: 118
Touring-life dude hey :) I'd like to meet some of the ADVRider guys who are to see the movie. I plan to do that.

Could we somehow get together or something...;)

Email pls, jussi@touring-life.com
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #21
Pengaleng OP
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer: 3,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusv
Touring-life dude hey :) I'd like to meet some of the ADVRider guys who are to see the movie. I plan to do that.

Could we somehow get together or something...;)

Email pls, jussi@touring-life.com

I see from your post on ADVrider that you are interested in getting together for the Midtown Atlanta viewing of “Dust to Glory” this Friday night.

Show time has not been established yet, but I plan to be there at approximately 6:30 that evening and will be on a RED R1100GS my name is Ken.

I’ve included some directions for you, so please stop by and say hello. Ride safe and ride on.

IF YOU ARE COMING NORTH ON I75/I85
-Take the 10th/14th/Georgia Tech Exit (#250)
-Go to 1st traffic light which is 10th
-Turn right and go 1.5 miles where 10th dead ends at Monroe
-Turn right and go to 8th (look for our marquee on the corner)
-Turn left and follow road to the back section of complex which ends in the parking lot
-Box Office is located in courtyard

This LINK !!!
Should show you exactly where we will be. If you see a bunch of adventure bikes you know we are there.

On the webpage above, note that:
12 The Highlander
& Landmark Midtown Cinemas

Are where we plan to be!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #22
Pengaleng OP
Hellbilly Peckerwood

The show time has been posted.

Showtimes for 2005, April 22

Dust to Glory
(11:40 2:00 4:50) 7:30 10:00

Link
Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #23
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengaleng
Showtimes for 2005, April 22

Dust to Glory
(11:40 2:00 4:50) 7:30 10:00

Link
So, are we going as a group or not??? Like make a commitment 7:30 or 10 pm. If doing supper, and meeting at 6:30 we will be pressed to make the 7:30 show. I can be earlier but those with late jobs will be pressed to make the show.

So what's the plan Pengy?

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #24
Pengaleng OP
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Be at the Highlander at 6:30! Purchase your ticket in advance for the 7:30 show!

Old 04-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #25
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Be at the Highlander at 6:30! Purchase your ticket in advance for the 7:30 show!

You got it!

I'll be there!!

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 AM   #26
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Thanks for the PM, Pengy. It's a no go for me, Iron Clad commitment.

If by the grace of God it changes I'll bring some of Chops Eggs and we can have the whole theatre to ourselves!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #27
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Dust To Glory Review

by Steve Rhodes (Steve DOT Rhodes AT InternetReviews DOT com)
March 10th, 2005
DUST TO GLORY
A film review by Steve Rhodes

Copyright 2005 Steve Rhodes

RATING (0 TO ****): ***

"Spectator hit by motorcycle at mile nine," the radio dispatcher relays to the paramedics and then adds the ominous, "no pulse." As luck would have it, that death was only one of that year's Baja 1000 race, an off-road race through the silt, rocks, boulders and some public highways of Baja California in Mexico. Since the courses aren't closed to the locals during the race, the drivers of motorcycles, trucks and even old, unmodified VW Beatles are constantly challenged not to kill anyone as they fly in the air at speeds topping 100 miles per hour. As they race throughout the day and the night, they never know what may be over the next rise as people and animals walk in front of them.

Described as being like "a 24-hour plane crash," the Baja 1000 is exhilaratingly chronicled in Dana Brown's DUST TO GLORY, which uses stunning aerial shots as well as cameras mounted in the vehicles to the tell the tale. You'll feel like you are both competitor and spectator, while doing both from the comfort and safety of your theater seat in a movie which really puts the word "motion" into motion picture.

About the only time the film flags is in an obligatory and dull segment on a few of the local inhabitants. The movie comes to a crashing halt during these pseudo-heartwarming moments, but they are but brief interludes to the action.

The drivers in the race spend large sums of money, some with corporate sponsorships, to win a purse that doesn't amount to more than a few thousand dollars. The race isn't for the money but just the sheer joy that comes from an almost impossible physical challenge. While it gave me no desire to risk my life to observe it in person, the movie was great fun and a real rush. Just don't try any of this stuff at home.

DUST TO GLORY runs 1:37. It is rated PG for "racing action and peril, and for some language" and would be acceptable for all ages.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Friday, April 1, 2005. In the Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the Camera Cinemas.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #28
Pengaleng OP
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog

If by the grace of God it changes I'll bring some of Chops Eggs and we can have the whole theatre to ourselves!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #29
Pengaleng OP
Hellbilly Peckerwood

From The Horses Mouth

Good review GarlicDog here is one from the writer director.

Quote:
This is a very good read I'm cross posting for anyone interested.

I've underlined a couple "eat shit Hollywood and main stream America" good parts.

Source

Perception • by Dana Brown, writer/director of Dust to Glory
Making a film is like having a hot oil wrestling match with perception.

Battling a tag team that includes your own perception, the critics’ perception, and the thousands who form the public's perception. Flailing, lunging, clutching, you'll do anything to get a slippery grip. The battle's endless, fought with close-ups, press junkets, digital sound, Oscar, Regis, CGI, ADR, AFI, HD, full frontal, mini-majors, 800-pound gorillas, bleaching—both hair and print—re-writes, re-shoots, focus groups and prayer. All in a hope to shape perception.

This column is about shaping perception. The reader, probably, views it less and less as a column and more as a rapidly evolving paper glider. But the guest columnist—director/writer/editor/cameraman/narrator of the acclaimed surf film Step Into Liquid—sees it as a golden opportunity for the shameless promotion of his hotly-anticipated action documentary Dust to Glory. Turns out Dana Brown is shameless, but not much at promoting.

Dana wrote “The film opens in New York and Los Angeles on April 1st; Nationwide on April 8th.” Then cut it. He contrasted Variety's rave about D2G being "a kick ass action doc" with DirtSports Magazine's praise "a journey toward a better understanding of the human condition." Then muttered something and cut both.

Finally, completely frustrated, he banged out in bold caps, “Dust to Glory—Coming to a theatre near you. Go early and go often!,” knowing it would never be used. Dana finished with "visit the website—d2gfilm.com".

Then, Dana stopped referring to himself in the third person, making it apparent Dana and he are known to be me, and I am moving on.

As a second generation non-fiction filmmaker with a girl’s first name, I'm used to smartass questions. But one that I've been asked a hundred times by people with seemingly no malice or forethought, I have no answer for.

They ask, "Do you ever plan on making a real film?"

Bam. My eyes glaze. I'm struck dumb. Paralyzed by inner voices.

A real film? That's not a question, it's a Zen riddle. Does fiction make a film real, or filming what's real make a film not real? Will a snake swallowing its own tail disappear, or leave a label? Of course none of this is said, only conveyed by my mute, slack-jawed fury.

Next time I'm asked the question, I'll respond with my own question. If only a real film makes a real filmmaker, and only real filmmakers like Pedro Almodóvar, John Sayles and Bernardo Bertolucci write this column, how do you explain me being able to write something this childish—Na, nana, nanna, naa....Ha, ha, ha....unless I am a filmmaker? Now who hears the sound of one hand clapping?

Bringing us back to perception.

Film is perception. Baja is perception. The race is perception.

Dust to Glory is about 267 different vehicles all headed towards the same finish line. People with nothing in common but a shared perception. This is a race that anybody in any vehicle can enter, held in a place where Adventure isn't a genre. It's a noun. Possibility isn't a buzz word. It's fact. And pursuit of happiness isn't a concept, it's a challenge.

They race each other, the Baja, and themselves—a 1000-mile inkblot test of fleeting moments never to be forgotten. A perpetual metaphor featuring man and machine, nature and competition, combining to make an experience greater than the sum of the parts.

On the race’s second day the sun began to set. It was nearly over. Still, many kept charging towards the impossible, blazing down the long forgotten dirt roads. To question why is pointless. There is only the answer—Why not?

In the golden light of the setting sun, perception changes.

Contradictions are swept together, mingling and swirling like the dust. Harsh realities turn magic. The machines seem to have been born from the land, and the racers united as one, charging towards something far greater than the finish. The dreamers and their dreams. A shared perception. And you stand and shout at the top of your lungs "Gooooo!!!" Because they came to tilt at windmills and, damn, if they didn't end up slaying dragons.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #30
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog

Hey GD, won't you share some of those CE's with your other AdvRider buddies like BlownCJ and myself??? HHhhhhmmmmm, maybe I should make some up in case your iron clad is iron clad, that way the AdvRider contingent will have some space at the movie.

GG