ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Beware sometimes your computer will only show you part of the name, maybe the real name is "blah.gpx.xml" and all it shows is "blah.gpx". Usually you can see the full name in properties, to verify if this is happening.
Ok, that is exactly what is happening, I have to do a "Properties" and then go to the "Details" tab to even see this and then I'm not able to edit it there. Seems like this used to be easer to do, I think MS is trying to protect us from ourselves.

Win 7, Window Explorer, IE9

I'm not using MotionX, just curious how to change an extension you can't see in an editable box.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 07:35 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
Win 7, Window Explorer, IE9

I'm not using MotionX, just curious how to change an extension you can't see in an editable box.
Looking up microsoft's official documentation, there are two steps. First you need to make extensions visible: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...ame-extensions

Then whenever you rename a file, you will be allowed to change the extension. It will prompt you with a "do you really want to do this?" alert, which will help prevent any accidental changes.

Quote:
Seems like this used to be easer to do, I think MS is trying to protect us from ourselves.
Yep! In theory changing a file extension should only be done by programmers like me, and even then rarely. But when something goes wrong (for example, this website that isn't configured properly) you do need to do it.

Technically challenged users changing the extension of a file leads to all kinds of problems.

Still, it is harder than it should be! That's why I use a mac, where a proper UNIX command prompt is a keypress away.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Thanks, now I'm armed with some dangerous info.

The files from that site seem a little problematic;
Could be opened in MapSource, and after conversion to KMZ, in GE but they were a little weird.
Not a lot lost as the one I did see looked to be autorouted secondary and main dirt roads, not unique as ridden tracks.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 08:16 AM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #19
ducnek OP
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Thanks, now I'm armed with some dangerous info.

Not a lot lost as the one I did see looked to be autorouted secondary and main dirt roads, not unique as ridden tracks.

Bruce
+1

I will make detailed tracks while I am down there and post them here when I get back

Thanks for the help
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
Also, It would be a good idea to email whoever made the website and let him know his server is miss-configured (he needs to properly setup the mime type header for those downloads).
He knows. I work with him some. It is an issue with the level of service he is paying for at that hosting company. We've talked about it some already.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
He knows. I work with him some. It is an issue with the level of service he is paying for at that hosting company. We've talked about it some already.
Since the site is running wordpress, I assume he has access to PHP? If that's the case, it's easy to fix the problem. Send me a PM if you want more details.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #22
conkers
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi..... I just want to say thanks for this thread.... helped me out...

You folks are awesome!

Conk
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote