Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #31
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Its funny but after 38 years of riding, I have nothing but scooters in my stable right now. It is very difficult to explain to someone who has never ridden a good maxi-scooter just how great these bikes are. My T-max is more comfortable than any bike I have ever owned, handles and corners like a good motorcycle does (it actually handles slightly better than my old GSXR 1000), has excellent brakes and decent acceleration. Plus built in lockable storage and 56 mpg. If there is one downside it is acceleration is not that great above 70 mph, but that will keep me from getting tickets! And there are a bunch of uneducated bikers who make fun of scooters. One of my riding buddies has been giving me shit about the T-max so I told him we should go for a ride soon - he will not be able to stay with me in the twisties (he rides a Vulcan 800).
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #32
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Its funny but after 38 years of riding, I have nothing but scooters in my stable right now. It is very difficult to explain to someone who has never ridden a good maxi-scooter just how great these bikes are. My T-max is more comfortable than any bike I have ever owned, handles and corners like a good motorcycle does (it actually handles slightly better than my old GSXR 1000), has excellent brakes and decent acceleration. Plus built in lockable storage and 56 mpg. If there is one downside it is acceleration is not that great above 70 mph, but that will keep me from getting tickets! And there are a bunch of uneducated bikers who make fun of scooters. One of my riding buddies has been giving me shit about the T-max so I told him we should go for a ride soon - he will not be able to stay with me in the twisties (he rides a Vulcan 800).
C'mon, you're taking advantage of the poor guy. You know he has no chance.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #33
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
C'mon, you're taking advantage of the poor guy. You know he has no chance.
He is one of my best friends and can out ride me in the dirt. But I am a much better street rider than he is, no matter what we are on. We used to ride dual sports together until I hurt my back - he has a KLR 650 and an XR650L, I used to have a DR650. I would leave him in the dust in the twisties every time we rode.

Maxi-scooters are a lot like 650 dual sport singles in that until you ride one, they don't make much sense. Then you get it on your first ride. I never understood why anyone would want a 650 dual sport single until I got my DR650 - best damn bike I have ever owned!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #34
go.duesouth
Lord of the geeks

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
The Downtown300 looks really nice, but I am concerned about the lack of dealer support and the overall quality of the Taiwanese scooters. The closest dealer to me is ~40 miles.
As a DT owner you won't go wrong, performance, 65-70mpg, weight, low seat height, except in the leg room department. Kymco makes quality stuff and the Downtown was rated scooter of the year by motorcycle.com in 2010 and another product of theirs got honorable mention in 2011. And they make lots of engines/parts for other big name folks. But at 5'11, I find myself wanting for legroom especially after 30-40 minutes. I've even approached a shop and may get the seat altered. If money isn't a primary concern, I'd wait and check out one of the BMW C series scoots due out in a few months.
go.duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #35
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by go.duesouth View Post
As a DT owner you won't go wrong, performance, 65-70mpg, weight, low seat height, except in the leg room department. Kymco makes quality stuff and the Downtown was rated scooter of the year by motorcycle.com in 2010 and another product of theirs got honorable mention in 2011. And they make lots of engines/parts for other big name folks. But at 5'11, I find myself wanting for legroom especially after 30-40 minutes. I've even approached a shop and may get the seat altered. If money isn't a primary concern, I'd wait and check out one of the BMW C series scoots due out in a few months.
Thanks.

I like the looks of the BMW, but there is NO WAY I would buy a first year BMW ANYTHING. Besides, 10K is too much for me to spend on a scooter.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #36
go.duesouth
Lord of the geeks

Quote:
Thanks.

I like the looks of the BMW, but there is NO WAY I would buy a first year BMW ANYTHING. Besides, 10K is too much for me to spend on a scooter.
Yeah, I'm afraid of the price too. At 8K, I might overcome my quality concerns, wishful thinking I know. I would like Yamaha to bring the redesigned Tmax. But not sure it's worth the 3K premium over Downtown. Maybe if I rode one I'd change my mind. The soon to be released Honda NC700x has built in storage limited dual sport capabilities and is only 7K, 9 if you want the auto and ABS.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #37
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I have settled on the Burgman 400. I haven't actually ridden one (or even sat on one) yet, but there is a very local dealer with a 2007 (1K miles) for $3600. I have purchased two other bikes from them in the past and really like the operation.

I think I would really rather have a 2008 due to the clutch and headlight issues present on the 2007, but this price seems really good.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #38
go.duesouth
Lord of the geeks

Quote:
I think I have settled on the Burgman 400. I haven't actually ridden one (or even sat on one) yet, but there is a very local dealer with a 2007 (1K miles) for $3600. I have purchased two other bikes from them in the past and really like the operation.

I think I would really rather have a 2008 due to the clutch and headlight issues present on the 2007, but this price seems really good.
I think you'll be happy, it's a great scoot. The Burg was on my short list when I went to buy. If I pull the trigger on the custom seat, my one complaint about the DT will go away. Just haven't convinced myself that I want it bad enough to drop money on it. Could be worse, I still ride on that laminated 2x4 they call a seat on my WR450, despite my threats to change it.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #39
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
i would love my next scooter 2b a DT but with a 32in inseam i have my doubts. which is a shame. i am not against customizing a seat, but it would all have to be worked out ahead of time. could get pricey unless Kymco could give the dealer some "incentives" to pass along for the expense and trouble of modifying the seat. fat chance on that, but c'mon Kymco! give us something to work with

my Agility is roomy as hell wtf
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
go.duesouth
Lord of the geeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
i would love my next scooter 2b a DT but with a 32in inseam i have my doubts. which is a shame. i am not against customizing a seat, but it would all have to be worked out ahead of time. could get pricey unless Kymco could give the dealer some "incentives" to pass along for the expense and trouble of modifying the seat. fat chance on that, but c'mon Kymco! give us something to work with

my Agility is roomy as hell wtf
The bugger is they've already done it for other parts of the world. They took a few inches form the acres in back and moved it to the front here, basically the same bike as the DT http://www.xcitingclub.com/xciting20...300i%20_3.html
And they've shaped the foot rests so it doesn't feel like you in birthing stirrups.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #41
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Its funny but after 38 years of riding, I have nothing but scooters in my stable right now. It is very difficult to explain to someone who has never ridden a good maxi-scooter just how great these bikes are. My T-max is more comfortable than any bike I have ever owned
It all depends on the person. I sat on the Tmax today for the third time, It's smaller and more compact than I thought it would be. You sit high and on top as opposed to in like on the Silver Wing I owned. It feels very similar to my Morphous.. knees are bent quite a bit and not a terrible amount of room to move around,. The handlebars are on the low side. I'm not sure if I would find in comfortable over time.

I like scooters but I like motorcycle ergonomics. I think you sit in a more natural position compared to the feet forward design of big scooters. I never really liked the SilverWing.. it vibrated too much felt strange on the highway with nothing between my legs.. not very stable feeling. I'm not saying the bike was not stable just that I did'nt feel particularly stable on it compared to say my Yamaha Morphous scooter or motorcycles i've owned.

I think it was MotorcycleUSA who did a comparison of the Vstrom650 and Big Burgman.. They had a lot of good things to say about the Burgman but all the reviewers picked the Vstom over the Burgman in comfort.. specifically mentioning the lack of back support causing back pain. This is my issue with most big scooters. The legs out front eventually end up bothering my back. I wish they would consider designing these scooters to mimic motorcycle ergonomics.
Currently I chose between a ninja 250 and a Honda Helix for my short commutes. I find myself picking the Ninja most of the time because of the seating position. After a few years and two Helixes I'm finding the seating position less and less agreeable. It's too low and feels downright odd sometime with my feet up high and out front and nothing supporting my back.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #42
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

I owned a VStrom for a year and other than my GSXR 1000, it was the most uncomfortable motorcycle I have ever owned. Even after spending over $1000 to tweak the ergonomics, it still wasn't right. Some people just don't fit on some bikes. This was what Rick Mayer told me before he made me a seat for the VStrom. I should have listened to him.

I can ride my T-max all day in comfort. It is 100% stock.

Different strokes for different folks.....
Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #43
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sat on both the 400 and the 650 Burgmans.

If I put my feet up, my shins hit the dash. :(

Is the Tmax going to be the same?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #44
mrnoitall
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Sat on both the 400 and the 650 Burgmans.

If I put my feet up, my shins hit the dash. :(

Is the Tmax going to be the same?
The tmax will be worse. There is a lot more room on both Burgmans compared to the Tmax.. but again try one anyway.. Maybe your body type will fit well on it.. you never know.... but over all, the Tmax is smaller with tighter ergonomics.
mrnoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #45
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,404
I had a Silverwing with a Utopia backrest.

500 miles with 4 stops were no problem.

Wind blast from passing big rigs was the only fault I had with the scoot.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote