Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #46
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoitall View Post
The tmax will be worse. There is a lot more room on both Burgmans compared to the Tmax.. but again try one anyway.. Maybe your body type will fit well on it.. you never know.... but over all, the Tmax is smaller with tighter ergonomics.
Bah! The 650 felt like a pig anyway. The 400 felt really good...as long as I kept my feet flat.

Why do the scooter gods hate us tall, handsome devils?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #47
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,725
Try the Kymco GT300i. I think you'll find it has plenty of leg room and a much better riding position than the maxi scooters.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #48
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
^ yeah and just as much get up and go as some 400cc bikes

Old 02-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #49
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Going to sit/ride a TMAX today. Crossing my fingers...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #50
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie

If you have an Aprilia dealer nearby you should go take a test ride on a Scarabeo 500ie, at least to compare it to the T-Max. Really nice ergo's, excellent stock windshield and performance on the Scarabeo. We've been getting 67 mpg on ours riding two up. Ours is for sale now, Texas is a little far to try mine out. We bought a new to us 09 Triumph Bonneville that's replacing it.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #51
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Its funny but after 38 years of riding, I have nothing but scooters in my stable right now. It is very difficult to explain to someone who has never ridden a good maxi-scooter just how great these bikes are. My T-max is more comfortable than any bike I have ever owned, handles and corners like a good motorcycle does (it actually handles slightly better than my old GSXR 1000), has excellent brakes and decent acceleration. Plus built in lockable storage and 56 mpg. If there is one downside it is acceleration is not that great above 70 mph, but that will keep me from getting tickets! And there are a bunch of uneducated bikers who make fun of scooters. One of my riding buddies has been giving me shit about the T-max so I told him we should go for a ride soon - he will not be able to stay with me in the twisties (he rides a Vulcan 800).
My son owned a vulcan 800, he said it was slow and did not handle all that well , I bet he won't even catch you in the straights.
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The TMAX fit me really well. Color me surprised...

Anyway...the dealer wants 6K OTD for a new yellow 09.

Opinions on this deal? I haven't ridden it yet (freaking 32 degrees here today...) but I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker .
Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #53
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post

Opinions on this deal? I haven't ridden it yet (freaking 32 degrees here today...) but I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker .

I paid $6700 OTD (including sales tax) for my new yellow '09 in Sep 2011 and that was $1000 less than the next best deal. So I say go for it. BTW, I absolutely love my T-max, it compares favorably to a very good motorcycle in everything but top end speed and acceleration above 70 mph. And it is, by far, the best scooter I have ever ridden.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #54
Superstar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure how I feel about the yellow. I have a yellow S2000 already...2 yellow vehicles too much? ;)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #55
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Not sure how I feel about the yellow. I have a yellow S2000 already...2 yellow vehicles too much? ;)
$6000 OTD sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You obviously like yellow.

You could then paint your house yellow so everything matches

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #56
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
You can never be too rich, too thin or have too many yellow vehicles! Seriously, I think the '09 Tmax looks best in yellow and so did Yamaha as they charged $100 extra for that color. I have received more compliments from people on the color scheme of my Tmax than on any other bike I have ever owned. I'm usually a function over form guy and I rarely ever would pay extra for a paint color but I wanted the yellow Tmax over the blue one. Turns out I got a much better deal ($1000 less) on the yellow one than the competing dealer offered me on a blue '09, so it was a no-brainer.

Besides, yellow is easier to see so it is a safety factor too.

I just remembered something - my first bike was a yellow Yamaha with black stripes - a 1972 Yamaha Mini-Enduro. Funny how my newest bike and my first bike are both yellow and black Yamahas, History repeating itself.......
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #57
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Scootz View Post
I'm an ex-scooter guy, I now have a V-Strom, which is a tall bike and I need tall, I'm 197 cm (6' 5"). My last scooter, and the one that I found had the most leg room was a Burgman 400. Smooth, fuel injection, ABS (new ones), Japanese quality, and I put almost 40,000 km (24,000 miles) on it in the two years that I owned it. A friend bought it, and has put another 25,000 trouble free kilometres on it.
I'm your height and I also have a V-Strom 1000 and a scooter. You are right the 400 Burgman really fits a rider our height better than anything I tried out there except for the bike I eventually bought an 09 SYM Citycom 300i. Even with my long legs I can actually slide forward on the seat until my knees just touch and the shift in weight distribution with the upright riding position gives amazingly direct and stable steering in gusty high winds or in high speed cornering.

i have bought my last big bike. My eventual plan is to get rid of my big pig Suzuki C90 and replace it with a Burgman 400 for camping touring.
The Strom is a keeper, it will probably last longer than I will and so is the Citycom because it's fast, handles so good on the backroad twisties and is just so much fun. The wheelbase is almost 3" longer than the Kymco 300 GTi which is just the ticket for treetop folks who don't want the cruiser seating position.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #58
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoitall View Post
I think it was MotorcycleUSA who did a comparison of the Vstrom650 and Big Burgman.. They had a lot of good things to say about the Burgman but all the reviewers picked the Vstom over the Burgman in comfort.. specifically mentioning the lack of back support causing back pain. This is my issue with most big scooters. The legs out front eventually end up bothering my back. I wish they would consider designing these scooters to mimic motorcycle ergonomics.
Currently I chose between a ninja 250 and a Honda Helix for my short commutes. I find myself picking the Ninja most of the time because of the seating position. After a few years and two Helixes I'm finding the seating position less and less agreeable. It's too low and feels downright odd sometime with my feet up high and out front and nothing supporting my back.
That is exactly why I sold my Burgman and ride an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie. The upright seating postion is just so much more comfortable for me.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #59
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
...Seriously, I think the '09 Tmax looks best in yellow and so did Yamaha as they charged $100 extra for that color...
I think the yellow looks best in yellow also but Yamaha isn't charging a $100 extra for that color, the extra $100 is for the stick on tribal graphics. Those stickers actually have Yamaha part numbers.
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #60
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:

That's a good price , that's what I paid for mine 2 years ago . Personally I think it's the best of the maxi scooters .
You are getting a lot of scooter for very little money .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote