User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
1200 GSA Ralle-Moto Steering Damper

Well, I've been personalizing this bike since I bought it from Josh aka 'CycleTroll'. I really need to quit spending money, but my, it sure is fun!

I've always wanted to try a steering damper on my KTM dirt bikes, but alas I never did, so now I'm going to give it a shot on the big GSA.

The installation was fairly straight forward, but it's a very tight fit, so patience was necessary.

The jury is still out on how affective the device is and as to wether or not I'm going to like it. I've only been out about 10 miles with it and I must say, it's 'very different'.

Let's see if I can get the pictures attached.

Let me know what you think.

http://db.tt/AcQ2wBTe

http://db.tt/nOlbwkHK

http://db.tt/3Q0SEgTc

http://db.tt/KZ2rK2sw

http://db.tt/jW1AXZ4g

http://db.tt/TnTFfT1e

http://db.tt/wJARvpV3
PaulyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, phoooy, would someone coach me on how to embed the pics into the post, instead of just links?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyMan View Post
Well, I've been personalizing this bike since I bought it from Josh aka 'CycleTroll'. I really need to quit spending money, but my, it sure is fun!

I've always wanted to try a steering damper on my KTM dirt bikes, but alas I never did, so now I'm going to give it a shot on the big GSA.

The installation was fairly straight forward, but it's a very tight fit, so patience was necessary.

The jury is still out on how affective the device is and as to wether or not I'm going to like it. I've only been out about 10 miles with it and I must say, it's 'very different'.

Let's see if I can get the pictures attached.

Let me know what you think.

Try this. Change the URL to IMG and it will show the pics instead of linking them. There should me a picture icon on the create new post menu.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
What are the benefits of the dampener over stock? I'm familiar with the general purpose of dampeners, but what made you want to do this one and what are the results?
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They really help to hold the front end straight on rough roads/ trails, etc. they relieve some of the swaying while passing trucks on interstate. As for why this one, well I originally looked at Scott's, but they do not have a production mount at this time, so I went with the Australian company instead.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Did you look at the one from Hyperpro? I was looking at it...it mounts down by the telelever...which is different.

Not as conveinent to adjust, but my thoughts were I would only have have two major settings anyway...one for hiway and most dirt roads and one for more extreme stuff.

That Ralle-Moto mount sure looks sweet!
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes I did, in fact I considered it when I couldn't get the Scott unit, but later found this one and really like the dual controls. BIG price difference though.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #9
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

(Let me know if you'd rather I did some more reading ...)

Does that change the rake? What do the adjustments do?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They do a lot better explaining than I could do

The RM2 is the latest steering damper on offer from Ralle-Moto. This new unit is unique in many ways, from the way it mounts to the bike to the way the adjusters give the rider a huge variety of settings for every type of terrain without getting complicated.

Setting the RM2 is very easy to work out and adjust even on the run. First off, there is the 8 position adjuster which offers the same wide variety of dampening levels that the RM1 has, then we have the Return to Center adjustment which offers 6 different levels of dampening instead of just three currently on offer in the RM1 Model (M, D, C). The newest addition to the Ralle-Moto steering damper on the RM2 is our new HSi valve which stands for "High Speed impact valve", this new valve is like having a spare set of arms in the event of a hit to the front wheel that you don't see- the HSi valve is a speed sensitive valve that reacts when you dont!

The RM2 also has a very unique mounting system which enables it to fit under the handlebars and on the standard top triple clamp of the bike, it does need a handle bar riser of 30mm on most models but this can be with the risers you already have or with a genuine Ralle-Moto riser. Like many of our customers, we understand the importance of being comfortable and having your favourite handle bar position. When designing the new RM2, we took this into consideration. Now you can have the best of both worlds, you can keep your favourite handle bar risers and enjoy the benefits of a high quality steering damper.

Now with FREE shipping*

SHIPPING INCLUDED IN THE ADVERTISED PRICE

How to use the RM2

The RM2 main adjuster

To use the main adjuster it's simply a matter of turning the 8 position dial to a number you wish to use. Now to get it set correct you need to have the dial set with your desired number facing into the centre of the unit, you will see a small diamond engraved inbetween the 2 dials, this is the marking for your setting.

The numbers on the dial represent the amount of dampening you will get with #1 being the lightest and #8 being the hardest amount of dampening. So the higher the higher the number the more damping is applied.

The RM2 return to center adjuster

The return to center (RTC) adjuster is located on the righthand side of the damper with the 6 positions available. This adjuster controlls the speed at which the rider can return the handlebars back the center line of the steering axis. Adjusting is similar to the main adjuster in the way the desired setting must be towards the diamond in the center of the unit.

The numbers on the dial work similar to the main adjuster with #1 being the lightest and #6 the hardest but what is different is the fact that this adjuster is relative to where you have the main adjuster set.

For example;

#6 is the same as 100% of the dampening rate you have set on the main adjuster so if you have #5 set on the main this is what you will get when you return you handlebars to the center line. If you have selected #1 on the RTC this is the same as ZERO dampening on return to center. Numbers 2,3 and 4 are all gradual steps in the amount of dampening you will have all the way up to 100% RTC.

The RM2 HSi valve

Although this valve does not appear to have its own independant adjuster it does work in conjunction with the main valve setting. This valve works for sharp sudden impacts to the front wheel by shutting off a port momenterally to give you a rapid rise in dampening then return back to the original setting once the impact has been dampened out.

The HSi valve is more responsive when the main adjuster is set on a lighter setting as when the damper is set to a lighter setting impacts to the front wheel are more agressive in comparison to when the damper has a higher base setting the impacts are already mostly dampened out.

What setting to use

Now selecting a setting is the fun part! But as a rule of thumb a good place to start and the most neutral feeling is near the middle on #3-4 main adjuster and #3-4 RTC adjuster. Below are some suggestions on what setting works with what terrain.

*NOTE: These are only suggestions as each rider has a different riding ability, style and bike preference.

High speed gravel roads - Here it would be best to set at #5-6 on the Main and #3-4 RTC. This is because it will be best to have a good amount of stabilitity overall but still be able to counter steer the bike under acceleration with wheelspin.
Twisty gravel road - Much the same as a high speed gravel road but slightly lighter so we would suggest #4-5 Main and #2-3 RTC.
High speed sand tracks - In sand the best thing is momentum and having the damper set firmer will help you relax on the handlebars and concentrate on what is ahead not whats under the front wheel. Set Main at #6-7 and RTC at #5-6.
Rough sand tracks - Let the damper help! get control of your bike in the sand by keeping it set firm #6 Main and then just drop the setting on the RTC to about #2. This will help you correct the bike when it gets a mind of its own.
Low speed forest trails - Here you would think that #1 would work best..... But no it is better to set it at the more nutral setting of #3-4 main and #5 RTC. This will keep a good balance between enough dampening for unseen obsticals and allowing the handlebars to move freely to get between the trees. If you use #1 the HSi valve will be more sensitive.
Slippery forest roads - These tracks can be tricky, so a good idea is to set at about Main #4-6 (depending on how fast the trail is) to offer good stabilitity turning into the corner to help prevent oversteering and then set the RTC at #2-3 to allow fast counter steering if oversteer occurs.
Sealed road - Steering dampers still work great on the bitchumen, it will help hold a smoother line through turns and help reduce deflection on potholes. A consistant firm setting works best on the road so Main #6 and RTC #6 will do the job.
Around Town - When riding in traffic it is good to set the damper at the neutral #3-4 Main and #3-4 RTC this will have a smooth action at the bars and less reactive HSi valve.
Rocky creek crossings - This is where the lower settings can come in handy #2 main and #5 RTC will offer a good feeling through the front wheel but allow the HSi valve to react to sudden hits to the front wheel.
These suggestions are a good place to start and hopefully we have the type of terrain you ride covered, but as you get used to the damper you will soon work out where you like the damper set as it is very personal. If you are unsure as to which setting will work best remeber these things;

#3-4 on both dials is a good neutral default setting.
If you need to counter steer quicker reduce the RTC.
The faster the ride the firmer the Main setting.
The lower the Main setting the more reactive the HSi valve
For any further questions contact_us@rallemoto.com
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
(Let me know if you'd rather I did some more reading ...)

Does that change the rake? What do the adjustments do?
Almost forgot; no it does not change the rake.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Sweet!

Oooooohhhh I want one
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyMan View Post
Yes I did, in fact I considered it when I couldn't get the Scott unit, but later found this one and really like the dual controls. BIG price difference though.
I also am intrigued by the "return to center" circuit on the Ralle Moto unit.

Having little experience with dampners I was concerned about fighting the unit to recover from a deflection and on tight twisty stuff. Sounds like they have that covered.

Have you had it off road yet?

Thanks for your info on it so far!
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've only ridden it about 10 miles on road, nothing off road yet. It's raining steady here in SW Louisiana, so a trial ride is out for today. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and lows only in the per 30s to low 40s, so I think I'll get in a little ride, as well as getting a feel for the damper
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

PaulyMan: thank you very much! A very interesting piece of engineering.