Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Wow, you guys did the rock garden to Comondu on big bikes?

That area kicked our asses in '09 on an overpacked XR650R & TE610. Spent hours there pushing and lifting--while the rockstar Canadian kids on their lightly-packed 450s sailed through with minimal difficulty. Well done!
I'm thinking the same thing.....we rode out of Comondu Valley to Loreto through a rock garden supreme on XR650R's with full luggage.........one of the longest days of our trip.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
You guys are doing a great trip

Camping really opens up a great way to experience Baja. You have picked some killer routes....good on ya for taking that backway to Commondu ...I wondered what it looked like

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #33
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Great report. You're capturing it well. Thanks very much.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Great RR!!!! Thanks for sharing.......

I miss my Baja
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
You have me itching to take my XR650R south of the border where it belongs and hit those roads. Thank you.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
rnrdozer,
Can you comment on the condition of the road N (from San Isidro) of Commondo vs the one south out of town (to San Javier)?

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
McNut,
I can....last February this is what that road was like....scroll down a bit to post #93:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=666961&page=7

It starts like this:

goes like this after a kilometer (take left fork up hill....the right fork takes you to that rock garden route the Big Pigs took)....

Gets a bit rough right after that....

smooths out really nicely midway...

Gets ugly for 100 yards....

gets nice again ...

as you get into San Isidro to La Purisima....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #38
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Thanks for all the replies! The whole trip I kept thinking how much more fun it would be on a smaller bike. I think a 640 or a 650 setup right would be the perfect weapon. It would take a section that you’re really struggling on the big bike and make it fun. But I was carrying a lawn chair and an ice chest full of beer too!!!
The comondu route was a workout on the big bikes but if you think back it’s always the tuff routes you remember the most. It did seem that someone had fixed some areas with a bulldozer so maybe its not as bad as some of you guys remember. It is however really rocky for what seemed like forever.

McNut, We took the route 11 miles in from hwy 1 left to Comondu this section was by far the worst section. the road from Comondu to San Javier wasn't nearly as bad. Motoged's pictures are bringing back some memories though!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #39
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Thanks, my wife and I rode the south bit at Christmas and while she cleaned it, the route was all the challenge she needed 2k miles from home on vacation. We did the northern bit before the hurricanes totaled it.

The area is very special and there are a several route options but the N-S one has it's challenges and as you say you may need some fillings replaced after, it does seem to go forever especially at the end of a long day. E-W no problema.

We did see some evidence of dozer & survey work on the S bit but still far from a freeway.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Ruff Trip

Dang, I think that changes everything, it's all about the destination. That stuff sounds and looks ruff. Hope you took hwy home.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,984
Great RR. It brings back some good memories. It seems like your pals ditched you! "Quick, let's get ahead of them and not slow down!!"

DD
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #42
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Awesome ride report! I'm dying to get out there. Just need to find people to go with haha.
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #43
pchGS
Mark

Oddometer: 97
Good stuff and routes for my trip the end of month.... Thanks for the posts..
pchGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #44
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again for all the repies! I finally got a chance to work on this ride report again!

January 16th

Evaristio to La Paz

I woke up early and waited for the sunrise. I figured it might be a spectacular one with the cloud cover that had moved in overnight and I wasn’t disappointed! It was easily the most spectacular sunrise I had ever seen. After taking way too many pictures we got packed up and headed for La Paz. The road along the ocean is beautiful and in many places climbs back up in the hills providing stunning views. As we get closer to town we see a large phosphorus mining operation. We end up getting to the hotel Perla at about noon to find Ron and Steve just getting ready to leave. We make a plan over a couple beers to meet them south of Cabo Pulmo at Los Frailles to camp on the beach. Ron and Steve blast off and we get a room at the Perla. We had dinner at Buffalos and as usual it was very good.

Warning! you might get sick of seeing this sunrise but it was awesome

It kept changing as the sun came up, I couldn't keep from taking more pictures!

Then I turned around only to see this beautiful sight.

It got even better with a rainbow

We finally had to make our way to La Paz along this awesome stretch of road

I love this picture of Eric, we were all stopping around every corner to click off pictures.

This is a good picture of the terrain headed south to La Paz

Dave and Dez enjoying the view

There's the bike lineup! does my bike's butt look big?

group shot!

There's these weird green rock formations along this route. I have no idea what kind of rock this is?

This is where they load out the phosphorus from their mining operations

Finally rolled up here to the hotel Perla. the rooms aren't cheap though, about $85 us per night. we would only spend one night then its back to camping.

The Malecon is beautiful in La Paz

This is the view from the hotel

The best part of this hotel is the parking in the garage under the hotel

Some shots of the city

Left over from Christmas time?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #45
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 17th

La Paz to Cabo Frailes

As usual I wake up way earlier than anyone else in our group so I head out for a walk around town and to find a cup of coffee. I end up running into Dave so we walk up town to the local bus station and find a small coffee shop pumping out coffee to all the locals headed off to work. We had a long day ahead of us as we wanted to ride out to La Ventana to check out Baja Joes then head over the mountain and back to the sea for some more dirt roads. The road turns to dirt just past La Ventana and climbs up in the hills for some more great views. We road dirt all the way to Las Barriles then had to hit pavement for a small stretch then back out to cabo pulmo then south to Los Frailes. We found Ron and Steve camping on the beach so we set up camp next to them and enjoyed an evening on the beach. We met some local fisherman that were set up on the beach and they told us they fish this area all year long, no vacations for them. We end the evening with some stories and music and once again in bed by 9pm.

First we had to ride north of town to show the guys the beaches(playa la blandra) and (playa Tecolote)

This is Playa La Blandra (mushroom rock)

We then took hwy 286 out to La Ventana

this is Baja Joes

If your into Kite surfing this is the creme de la Creme, I guess La Ventana means (the window) it was really windy!

We didn't stay long as this place was full of americans, it sort of felt like Cabo to me.

As we headed south over the mountains it got beautiful again, after a ways down you start to see some homes along the ocean

This house was for sale, I wonder how much? I think if you have to ask you can't afford it!

As you can see the road is right on the ocean!

We finally made it to Cabo Frailes and guess who we found? Ron and Steve!!

Here's Ron with his camp setup, it seemed like he and Steve had become quit close as they were traveling together. they were cooking up some shrimp when we got there.