RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #47
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
January 18th

Cabo Frailes to Cabo San Lucas

Woke up early again to see the sun rise over the sea. We went snorkeling on the north end of the beach along the rocky banks and I was surprised at the amount of fish and sea life there is. This is a natural preserve so there is no fishing allowed, very good area to snorkel. Once we got packed up it would be a short ride along the dirt road to San Jose Del Cabo then down to Cabo san lucas for the night. We end up staying on the Marina at the wyndham hotel which used to be the Tesoro hotel. its a bit fancier now and a bit more expensive. We only plan to stay one night here then head up the west coast. We really only went to Cabo to say we went all the way to the tip.

We were treated to another beautiful sunrise

Morning coffee and trip planning

This is how I ended up setting my camp up one the beach the rest of the trip. I would dig my rear tire into the sand, then set my tent up close to the bike so I didn't have to unload much of my gear

This is one of my favorite pictures, I think it really captures the mornings in Baja. sipping on your coffee and watching the sun come up with your friends! Good stuff

Desmond got to know the local fisherman good enough to get dinner and lunch cooked for him right on the beach

This guy and his wife were traveling around the world in this rig, he said he had no plans on how long it would take him

One more shot of camp before we packed up and headed out

Road shot on the way to Cabo

We made it to Cabo and found Ron waiting for us, I cant remember how we got seperated that day but we found each other in town

This is Steve, you haven't seen much of him but he was new to riding and found out its tougher than it looks. He took on some tough roads and never gave up. My hats off to him, as not too many new riders would have stuck it out.

This is our room at the old Tesoro, now Wyndham Hotel on the Marina $160.00 per night Ouch!!

The view from the room

Quin and Dez knock a few back

I love this picture of Ron, I have no idea whats going through his head right now! I will say that at 69 years old this guy can ride a motorcycle with the best of them. I hope I'm as tough at his age.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 19th

Cabo San Lucas to Punta Conejo Via the dirt route

We packed up early and headed for the west coast. the plan was to grab some lunch in Todo Santos then take the dirt roads from there that run along the coast up to Punta Conejo. One thing I can say is that if you like riding sand this is the road for you! Ron turned around right outside of Todo Santos because he was having a miserable time on the big GS. Tts a good thing he did because it got worse the farther we went. You basically need to commit to riding fast, stand up lean back and power trough it. We were about two thirds of the way Conejo when the road ended with a blockade. We found a way to the beach and rode up the sand until we found a house occupied by a Canadian guy who told us the road had been closed. He let us ride through his property and we found a dirt road that took us on into Conejo. Punta Conejo is a private ranch that rents camping to mainly Americans that love to surf. There seems to be a community of surfers that have been coming to this spot since they were children.

Before we left Cabo we had this view in the morning

You do get breakfast with the price of your room

We regrouped in Todo Santos, there was lots of roadwork on that route

If your having trouble with mister winky you have plenty of options down here! even in Todo Santos

We chose not to pay the ridiculous prices on the main drag in Todo Santos and found this little place a few blocks over

This is the gal that made us lunch, nice little place

here are some road pictures north of Todo Santos

Dez using the skiing method

We thought we were home free when we hit the wet sand but we were wrong!

This is where we got stopped by the canadian guy and his roided up dog!

We found Ron and Steve waiting for us in Puna Conejo. Some of the guys there that knew the route we took didn't think we would make it in a day. It was a tough route for sure. On a smaller bike it would have been a breeze.

This is a Mexican pot bellied pig that kept bugging us for scraps

This is how Steve camped every night. he is quit the minimalist as you can see!!

Steve cooks up some grub
Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #49
SenorFeliz
hangin' out

Oddometer: 409
awesome

"the interruptions are the journey". Ted Simon

'06 1200GS
SenorFeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Amazing...........Thanks for sharing your RR and pics.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdozer View Post
January 19th

VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all your reply's it keeps me motivated to keep pluging away on this report! Its pretty time consuming! I plan on trying to finish up tomorrow. I have some good pictures headed up the west coast. Once again thanks for taking the time to read this report.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #52
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Great ride report, rnr. Reminds me of the trip Walrus n I did last Feb / Mar thru much of the same territory. The Comondu section was really fun...

Impressed that you so much camping. Definitely the best way to enjoy the scenery...

Love the camera work. Good eye.

Good times...Thanks for sharin...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Great R / R

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing!
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #54
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
Awesome trip looks like fun!!

Come back up here to Chico!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #55
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
Great ride report, rnr. Reminds me of the trip Walrus n I did last Feb / Mar thru much of the same territory. The Comondu section was really fun...

Impressed that you so much camping. Definitely the best way to enjoy the scenery...

Love the camera work. Good eye.

Good times...Thanks for sharin...
Harcus, looks like a nicely set up XR 650? I agree with you the Comondu area is a great side trip off the beaten path. It looks like you have one of the new KTM 500 exc! I have had my eye on that one, I have heard the new motor is about 6 lbs lighter and has better power.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #56
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Davethestick, looks like your from Chico too! good to hear from you, there's lots of good riding in the Chico area. Here goes some more of the ride report!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #57
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
Thanks for the great report, I like the minimal camping approach you used. Many years ago I took too light of a sleeping bag to Baja, that's a good way to catch some beautiful sunups and also something you only do once.

I don't want to sidetrack your thread but at the same time If there is something to learn that could help avoid what happened to Johnny I would sure like to hear it "when out of nowhere his front tire blows out sending him to the ground at 70 mph"
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #58
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 20th

Conejo to San Carlos

The plan today is to ride north to san carlos to go whale watching. The gray whales come to birth their calves from late January to march so its prime whale watching season. The ride is pretty boring as its paved road and pretty much straight. We get into town around 4pm and find a room at the Alcatraz hotel. A very nice hotel but a little expensive for Mexico. They also had a whale watching boat so we booked it for the next morning. There is a large diesel fired powerhouse outside of town that pumps out smog that kind of lingers around keeping the air thick.

I found this interesting about the bay but feel free to skip it as it might bore you to tears!

HUMAN GEOGRAPHY: Named Bahia Santa Maria Magdalena by Sebastian Vizcaino in 1602,
Bahia Magdalena has been a center of intensive resource extraction since the nineteenth century
(Beltran del Rio 1989; Mathes 1979; Nelson 1921; North 1910; and Young and Dedina 1993).
Between 1845 and 1874, approximately 2,200 gray whales were killed in Bahia Magdalena by U.S.
whalers, more than any other single location along the Pacific Coast of the peninsula (Henderson
1984: 169). Whaling in the bay continued in the 1920s by Norwegians (Garcia M. 1931; Reeves
1984:191). At the turn of the century, the Flores Hale Company of the U.S. owned the entire bay
and an approximately 21 km wide section of the Pacific Coast from the tropic of Cancer to Punta
Cono (29 degrees) (Sangines 1908). From 1904 to 1910 Bahia Magdalena was used as a practice
gunnery and bombing range by the U.S. Navy, mainly during the winter months when gray
whales were present. In March 1908, the U.S. Navy's White Fleet arrived at Bahia Magdalena at
the end of a Latin American tour with 28 ships and more than 13,000 sailors. The White Fleet
bombed the bay day and night for two weeks (Carter 1971:66-70; Jefe de las Armas 1908). In
1912, rumors that the Japanese government was planning to purchase the bay for use as a naval
base resulted in controversy in the U.S., and the passage by the U.S. Senate of the Lodge
Resolution, which stated that the establishment of foreign naval bases in Latin America were a
threat to U.S. interests. The base was never constructed (Chamberlain 1939; Manno and
Bednarcick1988).

We rolled into town and found a hotel

This was an old dog at the hotel

This is where we stayed, its a nice hotel very friendly people, but they know all about the value of a buck! they did two loads of laundry and wanted $60 us.

You can park your bikes in the lobby area and they close the gate at night.

Very nice courtyard area

This room had 4 beds and I think it was 1,000 peso's

This was at the hotel, she was cooking beans for the next day

we went out for dinner and found this taco stand along the road, probably the best taco's on the trip, or I was really hungy!

It looked like an upside down wok

not much talking going on!

Tacos with a side of cactus
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #59
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookybird View Post
Thanks for the great report, I like the minimal camping approach you used. Many years ago I took too light of a sleeping bag to Baja, that's a good way to catch some beautiful sunups and also something you only do once.

I don't want to sidetrack your thread but at the same time If there is something to learn that could help avoid what happened to Johnny I would sure like to hear it "when out of nowhere his front tire blows out sending him to the ground at 70 mph"

Mookybird, that same question has been haunting me since this ride. I know the wider rims have larger beads that would seem to hold the tire on the bead longer than say a 1.60. I do think that air pressure played a factor so checking air pressure every morning is something I plan on doing now. They do make a tubeless insert that has a bead lock on it that I'm looking into but they aren't rated for the hwy. We run them on our dirtbikes and they work good. good question though! If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them also.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #60
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdozer View Post

There's these weird green rock formations along this route. I have no idea what kind of rock this is?

This is where they load out the phosphorus from their mining operations

[/IMG]
That green rock formation is Phosphorite. That's what they are mining in that area for phosphate. Awesome RR, I've been following right along since the beginning!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote