Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #61
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdozer View Post
Mookybird, that same question has been haunting me since this ride. ...... I do think that air pressure played a factor so checking air pressure every morning is something I plan on doing now. ..... If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them also.
RNR,
Loving your RR.....

As for the "blowout"...we would need more info: Tubes or tubeless tire? Did the tube "blow" or did it have a fast leak....did any of you guys use Slime or any product like that.

I have watched folks "air down" way too much for Baja as they seem to confuse 10-12 lbs suitable for trail riding on a 450 with the pressures they think they should use in Baja on Big Bikes. I have seen pinch flats, dented rims, and sidewall blisters ALL because of too low a pressure.

I don't go below 18 lbs when on my 450 down there, and 20- 26 lbs on the 690.....and nothing lower than 26 lbs on 1100GS (tubeless so far....).

I would rather skitter around a bit on the hardpack gravel than stop to fix a flat. I use Slime-Tube Type for the orange bikes....and haven't had a flat with it despite a wire puncture and some cactus infestations....

Tire choice is key....a guy wants a tire with a stiff sidewall (TKC 80's don't) and HD-6-ply rating if possible...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #62
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
That green rock formation is Phosphorite. That's what they are mining in that area for phosphate. Awesome RR, I've been following right along since the beginning!
Thanks SR, I feel like I should have put that together!! well I guess I can see why they mine it, there is alot of it there. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #63
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
RNR,
Loving your RR.....

As for the "blowout"...we would need more info: Tubes or tubeless tire? Did the tube "blow" or did it have a fast leak....did any of you guys use Slime or any product like that.

I have watched folks "air down" way too much for Baja as they seem to confuse 10-12 lbs suitable for trail riding on a 450 with the pressures they think they should use in Baja on Big Bikes. I have seen pinch flats, dented rims, and sidewall blisters ALL because of too low a pressure.

I don't go below 18 lbs when on my 450 down there, and 20- 26 lbs on the 690.....and nothing lower than 26 lbs on 1100GS (tubeless so far....).

I would rather skitter around a bit on the hardpack gravel than stop to fix a flat. I use Slime-Tube Type for the orange bikes....and haven't had a flat with it despite a wire puncture and some cactus infestations....

Tire choice is key....a guy wants a tire with a stiff sidewall (TKC 80's don't) and HD-6-ply rating if possible...
Motoged, Johnny was running a tubbed tire but I think his pressure was around 18-20 lbs. he wasnt running a heavy duty tube and he didn't have slime in his tube. They didn't find a huge hole in his tube either. He had just rode through the Calamuje wash and had fueled up at the bay of La turnoff. He was about 10 miles in so I'm not sure if he had a slow leak and it got hot from that or it deflated quickly. he was running a metzler karoo tire.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #64
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 21st.

San Carlos to Scorpion bay

Got up early for the whale watching trip and had breakfast at the hotel. Headed out around 8am. We got to see lots of birds on the way out to the whales. We also went by an old whaling station that is now a fish camp. Daniel our guide told us the fish camp was for shark fisherman that typically go out 25 miles to catch them. When we returned to the pickup to ride back to the hotel we found that someone had left some puppies in the back of his pickup. We got back to the hotel around 11am and suited up to ride north to scorpion bay. On our way to scorpion bay we started having problems with Quin’s bike. We thought it was a loose connection on the battery but when we got to scorpion bay we couldn’t start it at all. It turned out that all the vibrations from the rough roads had vibrated the ground post on the battery loose. We ended up fixing it with a wood screw. We found camping on the beach next to the lobster fisherman. The campground next to the surfing beach was 100 pesos per night and an extra 50 pesos to take a shower. To make matters worse you can’t camp on the beach so the camping spots are pretty rocky and quite a walk to the water .

For some reason I pictured us riding to the whale watching boat in a van, this was our van!

this is our boat headed to the boat launch.

This was on our way through town, no windows and no doors but satellite TV. every house had a satellite dish!

I'm not a bird guy but if I was I would have been loving it here! there were birds everywhere

This island had tens of thousands of birds on it, it was crazy

Dave and Steve thought it would be cool to run through the birds! what they didn't think about was bird poo!
They said their noses were burning and their clothes stunk for days after!!

Warning! there are some boring whale pictures coming up.

This is whats left of the old whaling station, details at the beginning of Jan 20th RR

In the background you can see the shark fishing camp

Coming back in to the boat ramp

Someone left these puppies in the back of our guides truck while we were out

This was our guide Daniel with his new pets

No I wasn't shrooming! this was in Cuidad Const handing out some kind of coupon.

There's a chicken place right on the main drag going through Cuidad const that cooks some great chicken!

On our way to San Juanico we stopped by La Purisima to check out the town and get some gas. we looked for the mission but were told by a local guy that they had torn it down years ago.

Another sticker finds a new home

We started having trouble with Quin's bike. we narrowed it down to the battery

The road up to San Juanico

Then out of nowhere we hit pavement before we got to town, it bummed me out!

When we got to town Quins bike was not starting at all, we found it to be the ground post was broken off so naturally we fixed it mexican style, with a wook screw! this held up for the rest of the trip

We made it to the beach in time to see this

This is my camp setup once again

We ended up walking into town from camp and finding a little place serving up these huge clams filled with cheese onions and clams. I wish I had taken pictures of them as they were incredible! The next day we would take the back way into San Ignacio
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #65
NIFTSIX
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Absolutely awesome to read your report Richard! What an incredible trip. Hope Johnny Roundeye is feeling much better – man that sucks to take a dive like that. Glad you guys all made it back with plenty of stories to tell….
NIFTSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #66
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIFTSIX View Post
Absolutely awesome to read your report Richard! What an incredible trip. Hope Johnny Roundeye is feeling much better – man that sucks to take a dive like that. Glad you guys all made it back with plenty of stories to tell….
Thanks, Raymond! Johnny is still pretty sore, I guess broken ribs can take up to 6 weeks to heal up. We need to get you out on a ride! We plan to do alot of smaller rides around here this summer, probably finding all the back roads out to the coast.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #67
des275
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookybird View Post
Thanks for the great report, I like the minimal camping approach you used. Many years ago I took too light of a sleeping bag to Baja, that's a good way to catch some beautiful sunups and also something you only do once.

I don't want to sidetrack your thread but at the same time If there is something to learn that could help avoid what happened to Johnny I would sure like to hear it "when out of nowhere his front tire blows out sending him to the ground at 70 mph"
I made the same mistake and brought a "light" sleeping bag. Not only did it allow me to catch some unbelievable sunrises but also nice star gazing while sitting next to a fire. Well written RR with awesome pics...especially of that guy riding the "captain america" Dakar!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #68
Jedum1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thanks for posting. Looked like an amazing trip. Really makes me want to get down there!
Jedum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #69
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Never get tired of the Baja reports, there is always something new to see and Baja is an off road paradise. Thanks for this great report.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #70
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by des275 View Post
I made the same mistake and brought a "light" sleeping bag. Not only did it allow me to catch some unbelievable sunrises but also nice star gazing while sitting next to a fire. Well written RR with awesome pics...especially of that guy riding the "captain america" Dakar!
What Dez is not telling you is that the price of the Mexican blankets wasn't to his liking so he suffered his way to warmer weather as we headed south! Cheap bastard
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #71
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again for the repies and following my report guys! I finally have a chance to work on it this morning, work has a way of cutting into fun time! I had a great part of the report done the other night only to have the ADV site tell me my session timed out and I lost it all!!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #72
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdozer View Post
Thanks again for the repies and following my report guys! I finally have a chance to work on it this morning, work has a way of cutting into fun time! I had a great part of the report done the other night only to have the ADV site tell me my session timed out and I lost it all!!
Well that sucks, but don't give up.
I'm waiting for the part were you get to the bus people at Mama's.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #73
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 22nd

San Juanico (scorpion bay) to La Bocana

Woke up early to another beautiful sunrise. The beach was busy with fisherman preparing for the day. I believe most of them were headed out to catch lobster. We packed up early and planned to head north along the coast then back into san Ignacio. We turned left to ride the road through the mud flats along the coast. the route proved to be a good choice The road was very fast and smooth. I saw a bobcat run right in front of me as well as a coyote. We rode into the fish camp towns and handed out stickers to the kids. We rode on out to San Ignacio and had lunch. This is where we parted ways with Dave, Ron, and Steve. They plan to head north on hwy 1 while Quin,Desmond, and I plan to hang a left 14 miles up the road and head back out to the coast . we ended up camping on the beach north of La Bocana. We set up camp next to the ocean and once again it feels like you have the place to yourself.

The next morning the lobster fisherman were headed out to sea

Our camp!

This is a beautiful bay to say the least!

I loved watching these kids play with their tonka trucks on the beach, no remote controls just rope tied to the front of them

We get to hand out some more stickers!

Quin gets busy with the stickers

Mom and daughter

This is a shot of the road out to the mud flats

This guy had some mechanical problems, but he got it fixed with some extra parts he had. He would also keep checking on us to see if we were ok if we were pulled over. boy is it scary down here!!!

This is the El Datil fish camp out in the mud flats

a shot of the mud flats, you can ride along at high speeds

The kids out hear are pretty aggressive about getting stickers! some of them come back for seconds

I wish I had a nickel for every dog that chased me down here! this guy almost met his maker!!

It was quite a big deal for people in the fish camps to see some crazy gringo's coming through town

Quin and I got out ahead of the guys so we waited out by Campo Kuyima

Quin waited at an intersection for the guys while I rode into the camp to see this!

You don't see this too often in the desert!

a humble little home in the fish camps

and yet more stickers!!

we made our way to Punta Abreojos, Dave, Ron, and Steve left us in San Ignacio to head home

This is just proof that an Osprey can adapt! if this was in California you would have to tear the town down!!

We fueled up and headed for La Bocana

This is where we set up camp north of La Bocana, Cost?= Free!!

The sunset wasn't bad either!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #74
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 23rd.

La Bocana to Bahia Tortuga ( El Chebo fish camp)

I got woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of something eating some food that we had left out. I could hear it walking around camp rummaging through our stuff so I did what any brave man would do; I stayed in my tent and waited for it to leave!! In the morning we found paw prints that looked like coyote prints. To add insult to injury the animal took a crap on my tent! The nerve!!
Today we plan to ride along the coast and spend the night somewhere near Bahia Tortuga. The road along the coast is some of the most breath taking views so far. Pretty much from Punta Prieta to Bahia Asuncion you ride right on the edge of the ocean in roads made of sea shells. You can stay to a smaller road next to the ocean the whole way and enjoy the views. We had lunch in Bahia Asuncion then made a wrong turn up to San Roque so we went back to Asuncion wandered around until we found the dirt road that runs up through the mountains. This is a beautiful stretch of road in its own way, to trees or plant life but rolling hills and rock formations. Sometimes you feel like your riding on the moon. We end up in Bahia Tortuga around 3:30 and find gas and food supplies then we head back out and head north to the old light house next to El Chebo fish camp. We were told this area is somewhat of a catch point for everything that washes over from Japan but all we found was Mexican trash that had washed up.We set up camp and made tacos, built a fire and tried to stay up until 9pm but hit the bed at 8pm. Woke up in the middle of the night to high winds pounding the tent.

Sorry for the gross picture of animal poo! but this is what the giant coyote did to my tent! At least in my mind he was a monster!!

See the giant paw prints! in reality it was probably a basset hound

one more camp picture

headed out to Bahia Asuncion

we made our way through San Hipolito

Quin has some nice road ahead of him!

The road turns into graded seashells

the road is right on the ocean! what a view it was!!

We finally make it to Bahia Asuncion

this is where we ate lunch

we finally found the right road out of town that takes you up through the mountains to Bahia Tortuga

we found this little ranch with a pond along the way

once you get towards Bahia Tortuga the landscape starts to look like the moon! no plant life at all, but still beautiful in its own way

coming into Bahia Tortuga

the town is right on the water

This is the road out to the old light house and Campo Chebo, caution! if it looks wet it is slippery as Hell!!!

Chebo fish camp

this is our camp site, once again right on the ocean

This was dinner!

another great sunset

poor quality picture but you get the point! there was plenty of drift wood for a fire here

it was starting to get cold!!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #75
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 24th

Bahia Tortuga to El Rosario

We woke up to gale force winds this morning. The wind was whipping the tents around bad enough that it was hard to sleep, it was cold too! I laid in my sleeping bad as long as I could before getting out into the wind. We packed up camp which was really fun in the wind, and headed out to hwy 1. It was 110 miles to hwy 1, 32 of which was dirt road .On the dirt road coming from the fish camp there were hard pack dirt sections that were wet, Quin ended up almost crashing through there. He started sliding sideways but didn’t panic; he didn’t hit the brakes or the throttle he balanced his way through. The cross wind was really bad the whole way. You felt like you were riding at a 45 degree angle the whole way. We made it to hwy 1 fueled up then rode up hwy 1 to El Rosario. This run was about 270 miles of strong cross winds with strong gusts that kept the pucker factor at a 10!! We made it to El Rosario at 2:30pm and found a room at Mamas. We ate at mamas, had the lobster burritos, we were in bed by 7pm.

The next morning was really windy! you can see by the tents whipping around!!

if you look close you can see the outline of Quin's body!

Not alot of picture taking this day as the high winds seemed to take the fun out of it all!! this was where we ate at Vizcaino before heading north on hwy 1

road side vendors

No pictures up hwy 1, but we made it to El Rosario and found some dirt bikers staying at Mama's

he had to have a few to cope with the long day!!

this place caters to offroaders! Baja 1000 pictures everywhere

this was one of Chris Haines guides staying here for the night

the rooms are pretty nice but the only heat comes from a small woodstove in the room

no insulation in the roof! and it got cold at night

The dirt bikes that were here belonged to these guys. most of them were from Canada and I think one guy was from washington state. they come down in an old school bus they converted into a motorhome/motorcycle carrier! really nice guys, they base out of El Rosario and take day trips around the area, sounds fun!! sorry I cut the one guy out of the picture!

This was their bus conversion, the back drops down so you can load the bikes in it!