Monte
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #77
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
Well that sucks, but don't give up.
I'm waiting for the part were you get to the bus people at Mama's.

Harry, your planning a ride down here on a 950 aren't you? Sorry for cutting your face off in the picture! It was great meeting you guys!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #78
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montek View Post
awesome R.R. dozer

Monte
Thanks Monte, I'm almost done! Finally
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #79
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Those damned Canadians and their Bike Buses

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

Thanks for the Bahia Tortuga pics

Loving the ride with you guys....MORE, please

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #80
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrdozer View Post
Harry, your planning a ride down here on a 950 aren't you? Sorry for cutting your face off in the picture! It was great meeting you guys!
That was Matt that owns a 950, and he is still in the planning stages. (not in the picture)
I had the lowley drz
The American who went to Mexico with a bunch of Canadians
Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #81
motoged
Studly Adventurer

That is a pic of the "Pemex" in Bahia Asuncion....east end of town:

Great service....

Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #82
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Those damned Canadians and their Bike Buses

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666961

Thanks for the Bahia Tortuga pics

Loving the ride with you guys....MORE, please
motoged,
You don't know how bad those pictures are making me want to build a bus like that!! great pictures!!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #83
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
That was Matt that owns a 950, and he is still in the planning stages. (not in the picture)
I had the lowley drz
The American who went to Mexico with a bunch of Canadians
Your a brave man! looks like you guys had a great time!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #84
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

January 25th

El Rosario to Santa Barbara? Maybe?

Our plan was to get an early start and get across the border at a decent time and trie to get north as far as possible. We grabbed breakfast at mamas and were on the road by 8:30. Desmond decided he was going to spend the night in Ensenada so we made a plan to meet in San Francisco for lunch on Sunday the 29th. Quin and I were riding at a fast pace and made good time up hwy 1. We decided to enter the US through Tijuana, hwy 1 is a little slow going through some of the small towns but once you get above Ensenada it turns into a regular freeway and you can make good time. Now looking back on this day of riding I feel pretty stupid because we were averaging around 75-80 mph the whole way and taking too many risks passing and laying it in the turns. The border crossing was quick and easy and we blasted north. We decided to stop in Santa Barbara for the night and have an easy next day to San Francisco, this wouldn’t be the case! About 30 miles south of Santa Barbra around Camarillo Quins front tire blew out on the freeway. He somehow kept the bike from going down but was on the center of the freeway in rush hour traffic. I waited for a while down the road then decided to get gas and head back. A guy at the gas station had noticed me waiting along the road and told me there was another bike that looked like it had mechanical problems up the hill. While I was fueling up I figured I would look at my tires since I had felt a thumping or flat spot. To my horror there was about an 8” long chunk missing from it! I limped back up the hill to find Quin when a guy flagged me over to tell me Quin was back on the outside of the freeway and rolling his bike to a near by exit. Turns out this guy had seen what had happened to Quin and turned around to help him. He called the hwy patrol, told them Quins exact location so the hwy patrol could swerve across all the lanes to slow traffic down to allow Quin a space to get over to the outside. This guy spent about an hour of his time to help a stranger! I found Quin rolling off the freeway so I went ahead to a wide spot and we proceeded to put a new tube in the front tire. While we were working on the bike a guy rolls up with his wife and says (looks like you guys are having some problems!) we told him we were on the last part of a 3 week trip through Baja trying to get home. After a little conversation we found out his name was Dennis and he had rode bikes a lot in his younger years. Dennis said you know what, I manage a storage yard you can store your bikes and sleep in my 40’ motor home. We followed him there and he set us up in his motor home. We were within walking distance to restaurants and a u-haul yard. We decided to rent a small u-haul truck and haul the bike to San Francisco where we would meet our families to watch the Oakland super cross. Now I don’t want to sound too corny here but considering the help we got from the guy on the freeway and the hospitality that Dennis bestowed on us I have a renewed faith in humanity. It has definitely taught me to pay it forward and not just fly past a person in need.
Now in retrospect it seems clear to me now that we brought the tire problems on ourselves by being lazy about checking air pressure. I’m quite certain our air pressure was way too low causing tire failure. Lesson learned the hard way!

This was riding through the border crossing in Tijuana, kinda felt like I was in an episode of border wars!

while I was waiting for quin I noticed that my tire was shot! this made for a scary ride back up the freeway!

Quin took this picture of his bike after his near death front blowout

Once we got Quin off the freeway we set out to get a new tube in his front tire. we noticed his front tire had a large tear in it!

This was the view from where we were working on the bikes, Camarillo, Ca. not a bad sight at all!!

This is Dennis, our savior for the night! he trusted us in his 40' motorhome. very thoughtful and generous guy to say the least!

This was Dennis's watch dog! I can't remember his name though

Time to load these bad boys up in a uhaul and head north!

We rolled into the uhaul dealer in San Francisco to find these Mexican guys lined up trying to get work helping you unload your truck. I tried to take pictures of the like an idiot not realizing they had good reason not to have their pictures taken!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #85
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We unloaded the bikes at the uhaul in downtown San francisco and got ready to ride them to the Marriot hotel on 4th and Market

It was funny riding into a nice hotel on a dirty dualsport bike, people look at you like your some kind of hillbillie! they have no idea what their missing out on.

This was a picture I took out the window of our room, I caught the light just right! quite a contract to where we had been for the last 3 weeks that for sure!

Some shots of the city at night!

We hit the race at the Oakland coliseum, Blake gets to meet some of his favorite riders

Blake meets Andrew Short

A shot of the race

I guess I'll leave this report on this weird elvis cigar picture, actually maybe this is what Ron see's everytime he lights a cigar up!

In conclusion I would like to thank everyone that has followed our trip through this report. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in such a magical place as Baja. To me it’s a trip like this that really changes your life in a positive way. You realize the true beauty of Baja and the fact that for the most part it’s still unspoiled. Until you get off the beaten path you don’t realize how undeveloped it is and that the path least traveled brings the best adventure. I love the saying “ bad roads bring good people, good roads bring everybody”.
Last but not least I would like to thank my wife for being so understanding and holding down the home front while I had a chance to live out one of my dreams and check one more item off my bucket list!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #86
motoged
Studly Adventurer

RNR,
Welcome home....close call ,but you got there safely....

Is that a Heidenau 60 Scout?....

I know you were happy to see the family and all....but what do you prefer....

or......

A great ride report with excellent pics....Lots of memories to share and cherish.....

Next Baja trip????

Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #87
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
January 9th

brand new tire and a 4 mil tube and still a flat!! I picked up a nail on the road.

What tire are you riding - how did it work for you in the sand? Looking for a Moab tire for an F800GS... But something that might hold on the road as well. Thanks! Great trip!!!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #88
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What tire are you riding - how did it work for you in the sand? Looking for a Moab tire for an F800GS... But something that might hold on the road as well. Thanks! Great trip!!!

California 94063
Home > Accessories > Tire Store > Mefo Tires >

MEFO Explorer Tire DOT dual-sport (140/80-18)

Our Price: $169.96

Product Code: MEFO.MED22
Qty:

Description
The MEFO tire, all the talk on the ADV discussion boards, as available at Motostrano.com This MFE 99 Super Explorer is a tube-type DOT-approved rear tire with a load and speed rating of 70R. The MEFO Explorer is the long distance professional dual-sport tire. Customers have reported to us that a set of Explorers can routinely take about 7,000-9,000 miles of use under the harsh adventure-touring conditions of Alaska. With secure, stable handling on dirt or wet pavement and high mileage performance, the Explorer has excellent all around versatility. Recommended for 50% street and 50% dirt riding. A great tire that will go anywhere and get you home again! DOT-approved.

This was the tire I ran on the back, I loved the tire and it worked great in the sand and on the road. It was out lasting the front TKC 80 until it came apart but I think that was my fault for running it at about 20 lbs on the highway at high speeds. I plan on going with this tire again for sure!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #89
rnrdozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
RNR,
Welcome home....close call ,but you got there safely....

Is that a Heidenau 60 Scout?....

I know you were happy to see the family and all....but what do you prefer....

or......

A great ride report with excellent pics....Lots of memories to share and cherish.....

Next Baja trip????
Ged, Thanks for all your comments and following along! I had a chance to read some of your ride reports and really enjoyed them! your 2009 report where you drove down with the small bikes on a trailer has me thinking about doing the same. I have a time share in Cabo in October and would rather be riding down there than laying on the beach! It looks to me that your due for a ride down there soon! unless you did but didn't write a report.
As far as your question goes on San Francisco or baja beach, its hands down Baja! I do like going to San Franciso for the weekend, its a great city but it doesn't hold a candle to Baja! But It looks like you probably know that first hand as well!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #90
SenorFeliz
hangin' out

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Ged, Thanks for all your comments and following along! I had a chance to read some of your ride reports and really enjoyed them! your 2009 report where you drove down with the small bikes on a trailer has me thinking about doing the same. I have a time share in Cabo in October and would rather be riding down there than laying on the beach! It looks to me that your due for a ride down there soon! unless you did but didn't write a report.
As far as your question goes on San Francisco or baja beach, its hands down Baja! I do like going to San Franciso for the weekend, its a great city but it doesn't hold a candle to Baja! But It looks like you probably know that first hand as well!
Steven and I met Ged and the boys in 2009 at Kiki's at the start of our BajaHooters tour. good guy with lots of excellent advice and generous with the cervezas.
mrdozer.........great RR. gracias for taking the time to share it with us.

"the interruptions are the journey". Ted Simon

'06 1200GS
SenorFeliz is offline   Reply With Quote