ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
Toadkiller29
Toadkiller

Oddometer: 7
I'm not a quad person or even a jeep person... I just know Gary and Ted have worked on this bill for TWO years and WOHVA sent one man to a few meetings and he said nothing... And now WOHVA picks up the bill at this late date and condemns it... Where were they...? Why weren't they at the meetings.... Where are they today...

Well the bill goes to the house today and has already passed the Senate... He tells me SB5366 has some new amendments, and Gary is in Olympia working with it's sponsors right now on is own time and gas money... Where is WOHVA..? Why aren't they in Olympia fixing this bill....? Is my brother the only lobbyist we have...?

Lan
Toadkiller29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #32
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller29 View Post
Is my brother the only lobbyist we have...?
Is your brother the one making compromises on this bill, that will effectively make it illegal for us to ride on the few ungated logging roads we have left?

Way to go! Sorry if we aren't more supportive here...
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #33
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,101
"Ted (Jackson) has an agenda in this. He is the Gold Bar Nature Trails ORV Chairman and has been trying to get their group access to the new Reiter by being able to use the road. They previously had a gate directly into Reiter, but with the ORV portion being moved up the road they became land locked. Now they must trailer/truck just like the rest of us."

The above quote is from Thumper Talk and comes from Neil Stamp, long time participant in the Reiter "situation". Knowing this goes a long ways toward explaining why this bill came to be and why it has been so specifically worded and amended.

These individuals (Ted and Gary) are probably well-intentioned. I believe they are also short-sighted. They do not represent my interests as an off-road rider. As a member of NMA, I am represented by Tod Petersen in Olympia and if you want my support, you have to convince Tod it's a good thing, or come to me directly.

Why have Ted and Gary not spent more of their energy gaining the support of WOHVA and NMA? Cooperation would probably have avoided the bad amendments being proposed or supported.

Maybe your brother could spend some time explaining to us on this forum what value he views this bill brings to us dual sport and off road riders? Otherwise, I have to support Tod's recommendations.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #34
tod701 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
I'm not a quad person or even a jeep person... I just know Gary and Ted have worked on this bill for TWO years and WOHVA sent one man to a few meetings and he said nothing... And now WOHVA picks up the bill at this late date and condemns it... Where were they...? Why weren't they at the meetings.... Where are they today...

Well the bill goes to the house today and has already passed the Senate... He tells me SB5366 has some new amendments, and Gary is in Olympia working with it's sponsors right now on is own time and gas money... Where is WOHVA..? Why aren't they in Olympia fixing this bill....? Is my brother the only lobbyist we have...?

Lan
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

I have been involved with SB5366 from the day it was introduced in 2011.
Since then WOHVA has met with Legislators supporting the bill, published position papers supporting the bill, provided written testimony supporting the bill. I worked my butt off supporting the bill.

WOHVA withdrew it support when the bill was amended into creating an anti-ORV result.

Lan, you are either misinformed or a pathetic liar.

And all this from a guy that bad-mouthed me for stealing the credit away from his brother for getting SB5800 passed.
Apparently that was all Gary's doing too. Too bad I didn't get the memo earlier and saved myself hundreds of hours of my volunteer time.

tod701 screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 02:48 PM
tod701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

I have been involved with SB5366 from the day it was introduced in 2011.
Since then WOHVA has met with Legislators supporting the bill, published position papers supporting the bill, provided written testimony supporting the bill. I worked my butt off supporting the bill.

WOHVA withdrew it support when the bill was amended into creating an anti-ORV result.

Lan, you are either misinformed or a pathetic liar.

And all this from a guy that bad-mouthed me for stealing the credit away from his brother for getting SB5800 passed.
Apparently that was all Gary's doing too. Too bad I didn't get the memo earlier and saved myself hundreds of hours of my volunteer time.

We know who's looking out for us. Thanks Tod!
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #36
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,432
Quote:
Is my brother the only lobbyist we have...?
Lan
Who is your brother?
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #37
tod701 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Who is your brother?
Gary Johnson
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #38
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Thanks, Tod for *all* you do!!! It is very much appreciated by so many.

haters gonna hate.....
Old 02-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #39
DeFens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Here's the e-mail I received back from Rep. Dahlquist. She believes in furthering the freedom of off-road enthusiasts, apparently while restricting where and what they can ride:

Thank you for contacting me with regards to SB 5366, concerning the issue of ORV use and the authorization and operation of a four-wheel all-terrain vehicle. I understand your concerns about this legislation and I recognize the significance of this bill as it will affect many recreational ORV users.

If I believed this bill restricted ORV use and limited ORV areas then I would not support it. I think that this bill is a step in the right direction. I support furthering the freedom of off road enthusiasts. This bill has not come to the floor for a vote yet but if it does I will certainly take your comments into consideration and keep your thoughts in mind upon my decision.

It is an honor to serve the people of the 31st Legislative District. Whether we agree or not on how to address the problems before us, I appreciate you sharing your perspective with me. I always welcome your thoughts on the issues facing our state.

Sincerely,

Cathy Dahlquist
Representative
2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
And a fluffy cat named Chester....
DeFens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #40
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post
Here's the e-mail I received back from Rep. Dahlquist. She believes in furthering the freedom of off-road enthusiasts, apparently while restricting where and what they can ride:

Thank you for contacting me with regards to SB 5366, concerning the issue of ORV use and the authorization and operation of a four-wheel all-terrain vehicle. I understand your concerns about this legislation and I recognize the significance of this bill as it will affect many recreational ORV users.

If I believed this bill restricted ORV use and limited ORV areas then I would not support it. I think that this bill is a step in the right direction. I support furthering the freedom of off road enthusiasts. This bill has not come to the floor for a vote yet but if it does I will certainly take your comments into consideration and keep your thoughts in mind upon my decision.

It is an honor to serve the people of the 31st Legislative District. Whether we agree or not on how to address the problems before us, I appreciate you sharing your perspective with me. I always welcome your thoughts on the issues facing our state.

Sincerely,

Cathy Dahlquist
Representative
I received a similar reponse from Shelly Short. It's like they don't want to be confused with facts. They only see the good points, and are blind to the negatives.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #41
tod701 OP
Studly Adventurer

SB5366 (ATV on certain roads) is on the House floor calendar.
It has not yet been put on an "Order of Consideration" list yet.
No new amendments are officially posted on the floor calendar yet.
One of my friends is seeking an early copy this morning.
Next scheduled House floor session is at 1:30 today.
This bill dies if not passed by the House by 5pm tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #42
Granparacer
Old but not dead

Oddometer: 230
Thank you Tod. We will follow your lead when these bill come up.
That said, all of the ORV groups MUST work together and preferabley behind the scene, get our differences settled so we can present ourselves as unified. All these bills are a compromise but some compromises should not be supported!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #43
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 352
Got exactly the same from her myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFens View Post

Sincerely,

Cathy Dahlquist
Representative
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #44
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
I feel for you guys in WA. The greenies and the left side of the state largely drive the political process. Rural residents and those with less than "politically correct" hobbies get the shaft. It makes me appreciate how good we have it in Idaho. ORVs (with the $12 sticker) can run on any non-interstate or non-state highway. In other words, all forest service, county and city roads. The only requirements are a mirror, brakelight, horn and liability insurance.

I know Gary Pewitt, he's been heavily involved in promoting motorized recreation in the Eastern part of the state, and in promoting this bill and keeping some areas open on Forest Service land. He puts in far more effort and hours than most (granted...he does like to hear himself talk ). I'm confident he's not attempting to sell out the motorized community and pander to the greenies. At the same time, it sounds like the compromises he is supporting to get this bill through go too far.

As I understand it from what has been posted, the unacceptable parts of the bill are:

1) The criminal (misdomenor) offense if inaccurately self-certifying a vehicle in compliance. This whole part of the bill is BS....if you're not in compliance, make it a traffic infraction, the same as any highway vehicle with a burnt out tail light or bad tires. Poison pill, intended to kill the bill.

2) Up to a $500 fine for riding illegally. It wouldn't be as bad as this were graduated. If someone's tearing up a meadow by mud-bogging with a quad, jeep or bike, I don't have a problem with the fine being painful. On the other hand, someone riding into say a non-developed campsite and being fined is BS. Especially $500. There needs to be some options other than the max fine, and not necessarily at the option of the LEO. Eastern WA had a reall azzhole for a forest service ranger, he busted people for all kinds of crap.

At least this bill would make ORVs legal on all FS roads that are not otherwise closed (in other words those open to other motor vehicles). Now you guys are f'ed if you ride a mile of FS road to connect 2 trails with your non-plated bike (as I understand it anyay).

The motorized community needs to be proactive (and unified) if this kind of bill is going to be passed. IMO you WA guys (perhaps through WOHVA) need to come up with an enforcement proposal as part of the bill, that is acceptable. Spell things out and beat the greenies to the punch.

In N. Idaho we recently started meeting with various user groups (ATV/Jeep/Bike) to work together to present a unified front to the FS and other "anti" groups. We may have some disagreements, but the place to work them out is as a group, and "behind closed doors" as it were. At least not in front of the FS. They and the greenies are real big on using a divide and conquer approach to get the various OHV groups fighting among each other. That kind of stuff kills us. We have a WOHVA member that shows up and provides valuable input. We're currently dealing with the latest "forest plan".

Best of luck.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #45
tod701 OP
Studly Adventurer

KEEP POUNDING

If we can keep them from voting on it, SB5366 dies in 23 hours.

In addition to emails, phone call are good at this time too!

www.leg.wa.gov