ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Just don't forget the 12,189,238 cars which go east and west of the highway through town all summer and into the fall. It is a busy busy road and getting from Colorado Springs up to Woodland Park on a Friday night after work in the summer is a pain. If you don't HAVE to be anywhere, great. It is a very busy town for 6 months of the year with traffic. Just my .02.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
Just don't forget the 12,189,238 cars which go east and west of the highway through town all summer and into the fall. It is a busy busy road and getting from Colorado Springs up to Woodland Park on a Friday night after work in the summer is a pain. If you don't HAVE to be anywhere, great. It is a very busy town for 6 months of the year with traffic. Just my .02.

Tom
Not if you go through Monument and up Mt. Herman road on the bike. Just have to watch out for the kids driving daddy's. Lexus way too fast on the wrong side of the road.
KawaYamaSaki Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaYamaSaki Ho View Post
Not if you go through Monument and up Mt. Herman road on the bike. Just have to watch out for the kids driving daddy's. Lexus way too fast on the wrong side of the road.

If you are going to do dirt, fighting traffic on the north end is worse than going up 24.
Just do Rampart out of Garden of the Gods, no need to do Mt. Herman.
Same cavet though with the kids.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

That was how many washboard divets I sailed over on that route. Sorry, I wasn't thinking of you when I recommended
Mt. Herman. I live North Black Forest and was thinking of me. hi~jack off
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #20
TacocaT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Woodland area is nice. Tons of fishing and ridding options nearby. One complaint is that the dinning options are not great. Town kind of has the feel of an area right off the interstate. Decent library with a good collection of books about Colorado.
TacocaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacocaT View Post
Woodland area is nice. Tons of fishing and ridding options nearby. One complaint is that the dinning options are not great. Town kind of has the feel of an area right off the interstate. Decent library with a good collection of books about Colorado.
Well maybe I have just found my new career.. New BBQ joint in Woodland Park
Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,081
Sounds like Woodland Park or Divide be the way to go for you.

In some places people routinely drive 70+ miles ONE WAY to work. I guess it depends what you consider far. I do notice in CO people consider Monument to our Wal-Mart as TOO FAR....LOL it's like a whooping 5 miles. I've heard people say how Denver is sooooo far *shrug*

Yes traffic on US24 is heavy, can even get the road totally closed. But its not nearly as heavy as any big city, go up to Denver for example or out to LA. Yeah, its heavy, but if you learn back ways you can cut off most of the bad stopped traffic once down near Springs (which is what I typically do).

US24 has cops, and I don't mean 1 or maybe 3...counted over 10 one time. So go the speed limit or 5mph over only.

I would say interview Realtor and find a buyers agent, that is not high pressure and will give you the real scope on things. pwrtrippin if I recalled really liked theirs. Lots of Foreclosures so look at them, might need a lot of work, might need minor work...but you save BIG too.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Sounds like Woodland Park or Divide be the way to go for you.
Yes traffic on US24 is heavy, can even get the road totally closed.
I lived in Woodland Park for 16 years. Far as I know a few years ago, W hwy 24, were closed only once for a few hours, due to a major auto accident.
Jinny

enigmatic_redhabu screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 10:10 PM
enigmatic_redhabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Dismiss the idea idea of Canon City (klanyon shitty) unless you want to work at one of the 20ish local prisons. Why dismiss? Two thirds of the towns population are families of the fine gentlemen in the local prisons, moved closer so as to be able to visit dear old dad/brother/father on visiting days....

Meth is a HUGE problem down there

Expanding your search to Teller County as a whole might be wise, that includes a lot more than just Woodland Park proper.

And no one has mentioned the Donut Mill, WTF people?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
Do check out the Monument and Palmer Lake area.

I miss my little cabin in Palmer Lake
Tri-lakes area are growing like crazy!
Jinny
Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #26
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

North and East of WP(10 MIN) off RRroad there is an enclave of houses sitting on several well stocked private lakes that can occassionally be bought into. I would keep my eye on that. Bbque related, there is a portable bbq joint in action already. They are fairly expensive. If you can beat that I am sure you would have plenty of bizz. KYSHO.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #27
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic_redhabu View Post
I lived in Woodland Park for 16 years. Far as I know a few years ago, W hwy 24, were closed only once for a few hours, due to a major auto accident.
Guess it matters on the length of time.

I can recall a motorcycle accident that closed it, another motorcycle accident I recalled was higher up by the Nun place (whatever that old stone building in on the corner) so people cut through that to get around the CLOSED road. Yeah it might not be hours, but been 30 minutes is a long time when your sitting in a car in traffic...LOL

Its usually an accident that does it....

There is a house for sale on a corner North of WP on 67 (I have no idea if its still for sale or the deal on it, but it was for years so still might be). I used to go sit out on the corner and take these pictures all day long...

Most were like this, but you get the idea...might be a fun corner to live on (probably make some money doing it too), anyone from here? (2008)

modette screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 05:23 AM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #28
enigmatic_redhabu
I really wanna be....

Yeah, that corner...the last corner right before Cascade, took the life of a few motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Guess it matters on the length of time.
I can recall a motorcycle accident that closed it, another motorcycle accident I recalled was higher up by the Nun place (whatever that old stone building in on the corner) so people cut through that to get around the CLOSED road. Yeah it might not be hours, but been 30 minutes is a long time when your sitting in a car in traffic...LOL

Its usually an accident that does it....

There is a house for sale on a corner North of WP on 67 (I have no idea if its still for sale or the deal on it, but it was for years so still might be). I used to go sit out on the corner and take these pictures all day long...

Most were like this, but you get the idea...might be a fun corner to live on (probably make some money doing it too), anyone from here? (2008)
Jinny
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #29
jwrover
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Look at Cascade

Sir,

I'd recommend Cascade as a good compromise if you want to be close to Co Springs, but in the hills. The other option would be to look at the high-up spots in Manitou.

I grew up in So Cal, finished College in Boulder and then spent 14 months in the Co Springs area. We had a place in Cascade. While it doesn't have defined "town" it sits in a really great location with respect to access to all that the area has to offer. You are a short 5 min jount up the hill to Woodland Park, about 10 Min to the heart of CO Springs. Can make Breckenridge Ski area within 45 min. and still enjoy the quiet and peace of the hills.

On the area:
My wife (a Boulder Native) and I think Co Springs is perhaps the prettiest city in the Front Range. It has some of the best weather. Best access to the mountains, and all the necessities.

On the People:
A very weird mix! In the North (Rockrimon Area) The Uber Christians. In the South (Fountain Area) The Army Dependents (enough said!). In the City- a slightly Conservative Arts/ Brewing Community. In Manitou a slightly Liberal Arts Community.

All in all a fine bunch of people but when we were in out 20's (We're 40 now) found it alot weird! Not much of our opinion has changed.

Best Thing Going:
Neduro! The only American to finish the Dakar on bike this year. A great ADV Moto personality...and apparently world class riding...Once you master the area you should be able to finish the Dakar!

Good Luck in your decision.

jwrover

PS- I have 5 very close friends that are in the Core. They have all spent time in the Sand Box. All plan to retire in the next 3-4 years and are aiming for CO. You gents seem to fit in well!

Hoo Ra!
jwrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
To the OP:

I'm not saying at all that WP isn't a great place. When we moved here in 1992 we strongly considered it but got the same advice about traffic. Since then it's gotten busier. In the summer a LOT of people go into the mountains every weekend. In the Colorado Springs area there is only ONE road that goes up and allows people (on pavement) to do that: Highway 24. On Friday evenings it's a pain to head up that hill with everyone else. Same coming back down on Sunday's. If you're retiring, or used to heavy traffic then it will be no problem. We settle in the Black Forest area and built a home there.

When my wife and I were looking to purchase a little 2nd home/cabin for the weekends and possible retirement we started looking in the WP, Divide, Teller County area. This was about 2005. We even looked as far as BV and such but eventually decided that dealing with that traffic all summer would just ruin the idea of "getting away" as we too would normally be heading out on Friday nights and coming back on Sunday afternoon / evening.

Besides the locals who come and go to the mountains, you also have a lot of tourists coming to the state and using the same road to the mountains. That's why WP feels "touristy" as it's really a beautiful town with a traffic/tourist problem. All the tacky tourist shops along main street will attest to that. Ski traffic (although this is never really an issue) goes that way to get to Breckenridge, etc.. all winter as the Denver/I-70 can be such a hassle.

This is MY experience. I often drive in LA and SF Bay Area traffic on business on a weekly basis so I am used to heavy traffic. But creeping up highway 24 in the summer on a Friday night behind all those RV's, campers, and all of that gets to be a grind. Same with coming back from the mountains on a Sunday afternoon. WP is one long line of traffic snaking down the hill towards Manitou.

There is also the Cripple Creek traffic most weekend nights year round. That all goes right though WP heading to Divide to make a left and go to CC. Drunk drivers and all that goes with the CC thing are something I would consider.

When we were house hunting for an inexpensive second place we eventually moved on to other locations as WP, Divide, all the way out to Hartzel seemed a bit overpriced. The suggestions of Monument, Palmer Lake, Sedalia, or anywhere in between are good ones. You won't have the same high elevation as WP so it will get hotter in the summer. But you won't have quite the traffic issues and if you need to get to Denver, an airport, or other stuff it's all pretty quick. I think the Larkspur, Sedalia, Perry Park area is just gorgeous and is closer to a lot of things. If you must have a mountain town there are others that are better IMHO unless you need to commute to Colorado Springs.

Just my own .02.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote