ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #31
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

Oddometer: 257
^^^^^^^^^^

Make that 5. cents adjusted for inflation.
Very good advice in above/previous post.
I live in Black Forest, across Rampart Range
and I~25 FROM WP. 25 miles as the crow flies.
I have been here since 85 and have seen it boom
from a relatively quiet bedroom community to the Springs to
Broadmoor north. Although. I don't recommend it proper. I
would look into east an north towards Elbert and beyond.
All the hoopla of mountain living and the convenience of Denver, CS
45 minutes away and a little more bananaa beltish then WP.
That is my 10 cents worth. adjusted for rampant inflation. YMMV KYSHO

KawaYamaSaki Ho screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 08:30 AM
KawaYamaSaki Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
With Woodland Park you are going to "pay" for the convenience factor with the traffic and such, but only you can determine if any of that is a deal breaker....

The Mrs and I are in the process of moving to Denver and have decided to rent in the area we think we want to live in first, to see how we really like it.....might be a wise choice for you too. Get a lay of the land, see what you like or dislike, determine if you want to be closer to Springs or further away....ride the bike around all summer and check out various areas, then make a permanent decision on where you want to be....

Growing up we had a cabin in Florrisant, a few miles further west on 24, not much further time-wise but seemingly miles away in the woods.....that is one of those areas that no one has mentioned yet
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #33
KawaYamaSaki Ho
Reality burns!

Oddometer: 257
Yah I know........

Opinions are like a holes every one has one. At any rate
wherever you end up, within 50 miles of the Springs. It means you have ARrIVEd cause you can not really go wrong.
You are in some of the best world class scootin there is and you
are in Colorado.
KawaYamaSaki Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #34
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
We have an active BMW club (6 ambassadors and a high concentration of Airheads) . PPBMWRR .
Next time you are in the neighborhood get in touch .I will be happy to visit .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #35
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
One of the places I am going to look at.. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M21543-58248
Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #36
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
One of the places I am going to look at.. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M21543-58248
That house is about a quarter mile from the 717A trailhead (which accesses 200 miles of trails). I looked at a house in that neighborhood when I moved here. It looked like a great neighborhood. You will need 4WD to get into the neighborhood during parts of the winter (including next week, if that's when you'll be here)
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
That house is about a quarter mile from the 717A trailhead (which accesses 200 miles of trails). I looked at a house in that neighborhood when I moved here. It looked like a great neighborhood. You will need 4WD to get into the neighborhood during parts of the winter (including next week, if that's when you'll be here)
I do have a Chevy 2500HD 4x4 not sure what I will be driving next week.. could be interesting.. There are a couple more in town.. plus some stuff in Cascade, Manitou, and down in CS proper.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,326
Why the rush to buy? How about renting a place up there to see how it goes? It's not as if the real estate market is going to skyrocket anytime soon, and there are plenty of people on the virge of foreclosure that would love to find a dependable tenant. Buying is a high risk-low reward proposition these days.

As for W/P....that town gets on my last nerve. Primarily because I live in Colo Sprgs and have a place in SE Park county and it's a pain to drive through it. Can't imagine having to deal with that cluster f*** of traffic lights every day. There also seems to be some new money types running the town and trying to turn it into a "resort community" like Breck or Vail. Maybe that's your thing, I don't know, but Cripple Creek, Divide, Floressant, or Lake George would be better choices in my opinion. Be sure to look into what county you'll be in and codes related to building, camping, etc if you have any desire to use your land as you see fit. Teller can be difficult to deal with in those regards.

The west side of Colo Sprgs is the absolute best of everything as far as I'm concerned. I owned my first house over there, and let the wife talk me into moving downtown in 1999. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I thought I could sell my house. Manitou is nice, but crazy crowded in the summer.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 06:20 PM
_CJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #39
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Why the rush to buy? How about renting a place up there to see how it goes? It's not as if the real estate market is going to skyrocket anytime soon, and there are plenty of people on the virge of foreclosure that would love to find a dependable tenant. Buying is a high risk-low reward proposition these days.

As for W/P....that town gets on my last nerve. Primarily because I live in Colo Sprgs and have a place in SE Park county and it's a pain to drive through it. Can't imagine having to deal with that cluster f*** of traffic lights every day. There also seems to be some new money types running the town and trying to turn it into a "resort community" like Breck or Vail. Maybe that's your thing, I don't know, but Cripple Creek, Divide, Floressant, or Lake George would be better choices in my opinion. Be sure to look into what county you'll be in and codes related to building, camping, etc if you have any desire to use your land as you see fit. Teller can be difficult to deal with in those regards.

The west side of Colo Sprgs is the absolute best of everything as far as I'm concerned. I owned my first house over there, and let the wife talk me into moving downtown in 1999. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I thought I could sell my house. Manitou is nice, but crazy crowded in the summer.
Do you want the ugly truth on the rush to buy thing? It revolves around an upside down San Diego condo, wanting to use my savings as a down payment, not wanting to cover the short, qualifying for a loan while on active duty.. etc. I may be clueless, as I usually am with $$ but I have discussed with some friends who are realtors and investment savvy. Basically I want to lock into a "retirement" house I can afford on my retirement income before I deal with the upside down condo in San Diego. It is only about 20-30k but that is 20-30k I want to put towards the new place,, not cover the short on the San Diego place. I am still up in the air on the whole "ethics" of that plan, and I may go a different route... who knows... so there you go.. the down and dirty.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #40
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Lots of places in Colorado are good to live in .
I would guess that I am the only one on this thread to have been lucky enough to be born here and lived here most of my life .
I am not as much of an authority as some of these other people that moved here in the last few years .
Look around , there is a good chance that you will find a location that you like .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy

Snowbound screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 08:44 PM
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #41
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,763
Quote:
As for W/P....that town gets on my last nerve. Primarily because I live in Colo Sprgs and have a place in SE Park county and it's a pain to drive through it. Can't imagine having to deal with that cluster f*** of traffic lights every day.
Funny, I hate the Springs because of the traffic and you hate WP for the same reason. If you promise not to tell anyone, here's the super secret shortcut (two light, three stop signs, no cops):

Directions: turn on to the dirt feeder road in front of the Crystola Bar. Turn left at the Jehovah's Witness Church in back of Safeway. Go to the end of the road and turn left. Go to the end again and turn left again. Click for map The route is confusing at first, but worth learning.

Quote:
Be sure to look into what county you'll be in and codes related to building, camping, etc if you have any desire to use your land as you see fit. Teller can be difficult to deal with in those regards.
True. Be sure to check the covenants for your neighborhood. Also, the house you posted is in the county, not the city, so your taxes for anything delivered to your house (like vehicles) will be 3.9% instead of the 6.9% you would pay in town.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 09:11 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #42
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,738
Ive lived in the Springs for almost 10 years, and Ive lived in Woodland Park for the past 5. For me, Woodland (by far) has been the best choice Ive made. YMMV
We would be glad to show you around when you are here. The tour would consist of here is the trailhead, here is a good place for breakfast, here is a good place to fish, here is a good place to shoot, and here is a good place for a beer.
What else is there?
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
Ive lived in the Springs for almost 10 years, and Ive lived in Woodland Park for the past 5. For me, Woodland (by far) has been the best choice Ive made. YMMV
We would be glad to show you around when you are here. The tour would consist of here is the trailhead, here is a good place for breakfast, here is a good place to fish, here is a good place to shoot, and here is a good place for a beer.
What else is there?
You and I are going to be good freinds Shooting, fishing, riding,,, all passions of mine. Shooting has taken a back seat over the last few years but the guns still sit warm and snug in the safe. Good to hear a positive review I do need to take into account my use of the new Post 9/11 GI bill,,, I can go to school for 3 years full time and they will pay me a housing allowance, books and some living expenses.. unfortunately UCCS does not offer a major in fishing, motorcycling or shooting.. or even underwater basket weaving
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #44
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
hit up 13th grade at PPCC
Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #45
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrover View Post
Sir,

Can make Breckenridge Ski area within 45 min. and still enjoy the quiet and peace of the hills.

Last time Modette and I tried to make that time a few years ago (when we were young and immature) required a visit to the Park county Court and a pretty good fine, driving school, and Community service. LOL Its actually about 1hr 45 min.

Guess since I've been working second shift I forget about the rush hour traffic up 24 but watching the traffic stopped on NB 25 out of the Springs because some idiot can't drive straight up a freeway without rolling their car or ending up in the Academy airfield makes me glad I don't live that way.

Bikes and Guns, Bring it on.

Food, We have a decent selection but my favorite place is McGinty's in Divide. Crystola Bar is good food, good entertainment, and good drinks. As Pablo says Hungry Bear is great, Danny's Bistro is Good, Mangia Mangia is excellent the few times I've been there. As for opening something, figure out how to cook a good juicy burger at 8000+ ft and you got my business, most stuff here is dry.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote