ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #91
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Need any help? I have lots of free time
Possibly, I'll keep you in mind
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #92
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Possibly, I'll keep you in mind
Hey Pablo, wasnt really looking for a job, just offering to help you set up, or move stuff if needed. I am too busy being retired to work but I will always stop what I am doing to help a fellow rider out if I can. My household goods arrive tomorrow, and then I will get the bikes out of the trailer. I have been up at the house painting and preparing the last couple of days and I see at least a dozen riders every time I drive through town. My broken leg has healed enough to start riding soon... went backpacking in Yellowstone last week and it didnt really hurt.. just got a bit stiff at the end of the day.

I have an older Whirlpool glass top range, a counter top microwave, a Huge leather couch that has seen some mileage, two bathroom medicine cabinets, and a really ugly bathroom vanity up for grabs for free to any ADV rider that wants them. I will put them up on the regional flea market for free soon.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #93
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
I have an older Whirlpool glass top range, a counter top microwave, a Huge leather couch that has seen some mileage, two bathroom medicine cabinets, and a really ugly bathroom vanity up for grabs for free to any ADV rider that wants them. I will put them up on the regional flea market for free soon.
Put it in the "Pay it Forward" thread instead. This thread is for free stuff.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184435
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #94
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
I know this is an older thread, but seems like an appropriate place to ask some questions I have. Some of you (Pablo, Raul Duke, and a couple others)might remember me, I'm the guy from Ohio who stopped by a few years ago with a few friends from Pittsburgh. Anyways, ever since I visited, I've thought of coming back to relocate someday. I woudn't say I'm 100% ready to move yet, but I want to explore some options. I really liked Woodland Park, but from what I'm reading, it may be just a tad too cold, since I'd prefer a longer riding season. Is there anywhere close by that's a little lower in elevation (and warmer), but still close to great riding? I'm biased towards technical trail riding, and I'm into mountain biking too.

I'd like to be located 15-30 minutes from at least 2 hospitals (for job opportunities), within 45 minutes from a major airport (we like to travel), within 10-15 minutes of civilization (gas stations and a few dining options, even if it's a pizza shop and a small restaurant), and 10-20 minutes from motorbike and mountain bike trails.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #95
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Penrose area -

Maybe along 115 between CO Springs and Penrose?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #96
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
Maybe along 115 between CO Springs and Penrose?
What's the trail situation down that way? Any motorized single track? Many mtb trails? Can you ride year round?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #97
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
What's the trail situation down that way? Any motorized single track? Many mtb trails? Can you ride year round?
You have the Penrose OHV area, which is not that technical unless you do Interdependence Trail...now that is very technical as it's a rock crawling trail for $100,000+ rigs. I found it fun, most probably would not.

Texas Creek has an OHV area which is located West of Canon City on US50. So not real far away.

Lets see then you have this area down near Pueblo
https://www.facebook.com/PuebloOHV

Up in Fountain you have the $10 track, fun for a few hours but don't go when busy lots of accidents waiting to happen riding around there.

Monument which is North of Colorado Springs (my area) you have access to the Forest by way of Mt Herman Rd. Lots of MTB Trails, just Jeep roads for the motorcycle to ave fun on off of Mt Herman Rd. Although with a big tank like on my XR650R I go up Mt Herman Rd to Rampart and go North to Skeleton Trail single track (tight single track but not overly technical)...I have hitched carried the GasGas two times to it, not a bad relaxing drive. Also you can connect to areas like Woodland Park ride 717 and ride home.

Woodland Park you have 717 right out your door a short ride/drive up 67 you have Rainbow Falls and further north you have Northern Rampart Range OHV area. Only one single track in 717 area but still a lot of fun trails throughout there. Longer rides you can head West and go all the way to Hartsel. South on 67 toward Victor on 81 you have Gold Camp Rd, you can explorer that area, and a few single track trails like Mt Rosa are still open and can be done.

That's pretty much the area....It all depends on what you want.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #98
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Pretty much a big fat zero for MTB trails in the Canon City area. Pueblo has some trails around the reservoir, but that's about it. You can tack on an hour to both of them for airport access and such. Colo Sprgs has the most and best MTB trails in the state that you can ride to from your front door in my opinion (Golden would be a close second). There's a fair amount of moto and 4x4 trails just west of town, and of course we're only twenty minutes from Woodland Park.

Monument, Larkspur, and Black Forest would be closer to DIA and less crowded, but they're higher elevation and lack the trail diversity we have here in C/S.

Golden is nice too. Great MTB trails, closer to DIA, lower elevation, not sure about technical moto trails up that way though.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #99
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Only 30 minutes from Woodland Park on Mt Herman Rd from Monument...LOL As long as your on the motorcycle. The Jeep it takes me about 1 hour depending on traffic. Lot's of MTB's use MT Herman Road too.

Some areas to MTB or hike:
Castlewood Canyon
http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/C...anyonHome.aspx

Spruce Mountain Open Space
http://www.douglas.co.us/openspace/spruce-mountain/

Not sure what this is called but it's a trail head and LOTS of MTB'ers go there, lots of single track to ride around on with the MTB
http://goo.gl/maps/rWTNv

New Sante fe Regional Trail goes north and goes to Springs and beyond...LOL
http://goo.gl/maps/GlHFQ

Fox Run regional Park is fun, hike, MTB or Horse back ride
http://adm.elpasoco.com/CommunitySer...ionalPark.aspx

A short run down to Springs, you got Garden of the God's, Red Rock Canyon Open Space, and other parks.

CJ mentions lots of MTB'ing in Springs...to me that is a city and for sure as it stands now no Motorcycle single track or dirt. You got Old Stage Rd to Gold Camp through the Broadmor but that is it.

If my call I would say Woodland Park or if you need city then Monument is pretty dang good as I still access 717 all the time...and consider it in my backyard.

Check this out for MTB trails in Monument.
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/3503023

Yeah Monument is higher in elevation slightly to Springs...not drastic. if it's say 80 in Colorado Springs its 5 to 10 lower here which in the summer you will appreciate. We have AC but don't really need it here. So yea in the winter it can be 30 in Springs and 25 degrees here (typically 5 degrees difference). Not a huge difference to write about.

Maybe someone can say we get more snow......LOL What snow is what I would ask. Yeah it fell and it's melted and gone.

This is my .02 I would avoid Pueblo, Canon City and not sure of your budget but the homes off 115 in between Springs and Penrose go for huge $$$$$$$.

Here is a nice one for you for laughs off of 115:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14...12059990_zpid/

Some people think Monument to Springs is far, again I guess that depends on the person. We go to Springs all the time, we go to Denver too and eat out in Castle Rock...unless ever gallon of fuel is a huge deal they are not that far away. Took me 20 minutes to get to Castle Rock last week, takes 15-20 minutes to get to Downtown Springs. Heck only takes 50 minutes to get to Woodland Park by way of I-25 and US24.

Besides Springs is a dangerous city don't you know
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #100
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Off 115

Now that's more like it.
http://www.trulia.com/property/31200...rings-CO-80926
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #101
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Nice place for sale two doors down from my house.....it's a veritable mountain biker's paradise over here, and if you're into mid-century modern architecture, it doesn't get much better than this. There are some pretty nice rentals available in the area too.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/2704-and...rive-80906_rb/

_CJ screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 11:17 AM
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #102
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Wow, thanks for the great info. Budget wise, I'd like to stay in the 200-275k range, 3-4 BR, 2+ bath, 2 car garage, 2,000+ sqft. So those 750k to 3mil (lol) houses are out.

I mentioned wanting warmer weather, just to ensure a longer riding season. It sounds like Monument might be a little better (than Woodland Park) in this regard. A little snowfall and some 0 degree days are fine. Hell, we've already had over 60" of snow and a few days with the lows down to -18 degrees F (actual) here in Ohio this winter. Is there a time of year when the mtb trails around C.Springs and Monument get shut down, or do guys ride year round? I'm guessing the moto trails get closed down, right?

Colorado Springs sounds great for weather, mtb trails, and convenience to jobs, etc, but I'm worried about crowds and traffic.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #103
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the great info. Budget wise, I'd like to stay in the 200-275k range, 3-4 BR, 2+ bath, 2 car garage, 2,000+ sqft. So those 750k to 3mil (lol) houses are out.

I mentioned wanting warmer weather, just to ensure a longer riding season. It sounds like Monument might be a little better (than Woodland Park) in this regard. A little snowfall and some 0 degree days are fine. Hell, we've already had over 60" of snow and a few days with the lows down to -18 degrees F (actual) here in Ohio this winter. Is there a time of year when the mtb trails around C.Springs and Monument get shut down, or do guys ride year round? I'm guessing the moto trails get closed down, right?

Colorado Springs sounds great for weather, mtb trails, and convenience to jobs, etc, but I'm worried about crowds and traffic.
While the trails are never technically shut down, this year has been a little challenging with ice building on top of ice. Now that it's warmed up a bit the trails are getting kind of muddy which really brings out the trail nazi's (hikers taking pictures of tire tracks and lobbying to have the trails shut down), so it's best to stay off the trails until they dry out. Some years though, the trails have been dry all winter. This year has been especially harsh, but I have gotten in a few mostly dry 3+ hour MTB rides without ever getting in a car.

All the moto trail in the mountains are un-ridable due to snow right now, but that also varies from year to year.

Typically, we will dry out and warm up about a month earlier than WP and monument. Same in the fall....we stay dry/warmer about a month longer. Monument is on the Palmer Divide, and tends to get hammered pretty good with snow in the spring while we don't see the heavy dumps like they do. I recall years up there where it dumped 4+feet in a matter of days....in March, but we got almost nothing down here.

Sounds like you're looking for solitude AND convenience (aren't we all). You'll never have both because everybody wants the same thing. Reminds me of an old saying: strong, cheap, fast.....pick two. Private, convenient, cheap....pick two.

_CJ screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 12:41 PM
Old 02-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #104
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
While the trails are never technically shut down, this year has been a little challenging with ice building on top of ice. Now that it's warmed up a bit the trails are getting kind of muddy which really brings out the trail nazi's (hikers taking pictures of tire tracks and lobbying to have the trails shut down), so it's best to stay off the trails until they dry out. Some years though, the trails have been dry all winter. This year has been especially harsh.

All the moto trail in the mountains are un-ridable due to snow right now, but that also varies from year to year.

Typically, we will dry out and warm up about a month earlier than WP and monument. Same in the fall....we stay dry/warmer about a month longer. Monument is on the Palmer Divide, and tends to get hammered pretty good with snow in the spring while we don't see the heavy dumps like they do. I recall years up there where it dumped 4+feet in a matter of days....in March, but we got almost nothing down here.

Sounds like you're looking for solitude AND convenience (aren't we all). You'll never have both because everybody wants the same thing.
Yes, I want it all dammit I think part of my problem is my mind is preset to avoid living near a city because it typically means all kinds of shit I can care less about (theaters, art galleries, expensive dining and shopping, expensive housing), and none of the outdoor stuff that matters to me, like trails. However, I could probably make an exception in this case, if you are telling me I can ride right to a bunch of mtb trails from Colorado Springs. Is there a part of C.Springs with the best access to the trails? I'm guessing the west end off 24 would be ideal for proximity to the motorized trails, since it sounds like everything is to the north east (Woodland Park, Rampart, etc).

What's the income tax structure in the Springs, Monument, and Woodland Park? Do you have to pay income taxes in the city you reside in and/or in the city you work in? Is there an additional income tax for the school district?

How much are utilities (electric, gas, water, sewer)? How much are vehicle license plate/registration renewals? How much is how owner's insurance?

Real estate taxes look reasonable. I see that sales tax varies by city, but hovers around 7%. State income tax is apparently a flat 4.63%, which isn't too bad. Any other big taxes or fees to be concerned with?

OhioPT screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 01:17 PM
Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #105
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Wealth of info here: Ask away -
http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado-springs/