User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Taiwan Drill Press parts ?

In moving some of my shop from the basement to garage recently, The head unit of my disassembled bench Drill Press was sitting on the tool bench and I caught the turn wheel handle with my coat when walking by. Down it went onto concrete floor. I fixed the damaged sheet metal, heated and bent the turn wheel handle spokes back to semi normal although I have a more serious problem. The motor has a cracked housing, It took the full impact. I've had this DP since 1978 and it's actually been a excellent tool. It was made in Taiwan, "Orbit" 1/2 HP, 5 speeds. I was able to build a clamping system out of steel cable, clamps and angle iron to pull it back together. I then JB Welded it and although it runs OK, it growls pretty bad once warmed up. I feel a replacement motor is needed. Any sources for replacement Taiwanese items out there? I believe the motor is 1750 RPM, 110V.

Thanks,
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,396
1/2 horse motors are not too expensive, a guy gave me an older floor model drill press and it needed a motor, i was going to fix it, it was a 3/4 horse, those were more expensive $250.00 for 3/4 horse, i started to put a 1/2 horse on it but said what the heck and hauled it off for scrap.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
If you like it so much get a new motor for it, they're pretty cheap.

Also get a drum switch, and wire it 220. You'll have a nice smooth running drill press.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
My Dad's drill press featured a motor from a washing machine...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Gray_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Being made in Taiwan, it may not be an American standard (NEMA) motor frame size, so things like the shaft and mounting dimensions are different sizes. On this side of the Pacific we use metric standard motors.

Check the nameplate, it should show the frame size.

METRIC will be D71 or D80 or something similar. This may be hard to source in the states.

NEMA (USA) will be a 3 digit number possibly followed by a couple of letters. You should be able to source something cheaply, through a junkyard or Ebay,etc.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
Being made in Taiwan, it may not be an American standard (NEMA) motor frame size, so things like the shaft and mounting dimensions are different sizes. On this side of the Pacific we use metric standard motors.

Check the nameplate, it should show the frame size.

METRIC will be D71 or D80 or something similar. This may be hard to source in the states.

NEMA (USA) will be a 3 digit number possibly followed by a couple of letters. You should be able to source something cheaply, through a junkyard or Ebay,etc.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
. . . The motor has a cracked housing, It took the full impact. I've had this DP since 1978 and it's actually been a excellent tool. It was made in Taiwan, . . . I believe the motor is 1750 RPM, 110V.
I recently rehabilitated a 1981 Taiwanese/American drill press. Some parts were marked U.S.A, and some were Taiwanese. I expect that your motor is too old to be a standard NEMA or metric size. Mine, at least, had no markings and yours is older. The motor on mine would barely turn. The motor shaft was NOT metric, it was 17/32 which makes it even more difficult -- and no NEMA sizes have 17/32 shafts*. Surplus Center had a direct replacement motor in 2010, but not 2011, with 17/32 shaft and advertised as "replacement import woodworking motor". The shaft at the bottom of the motor was a standard 1/2".

I was able to take the motor apart and clean the bearings and space between the coils and rotor. All good. Upon re-assembly I DID have to rotate the end plates to eliminate rubbing between the rotor and windings. The '80s weren't the Golden Age of Taiwanese Quality.

Can you tell if the growling is from the bearings? Does it rub anywhere in a revolution? If so, is it "easy" like a mis-aligned bearing or "hard" like the rotor hitting the windings? Is the shaft straight? Did the pulley simply get smashed down on the shaft to rub on the housing?

If you take yours apart, you can be smarter than me and put marks on your end plates and barrel to get them back correctly. I'm not sure quality was higher in Taiwan in the '70s.

If my disassembly/assembly didn't fix the problem, I was going to look for a 1/2" shaft motor and shim it to use the same pulley (3-speed in my case).

Yours is old enough that replacement parts may be a little more difficult. I hope you're able to get it right again.

* No NEMA 17/32 -- I looked at lots of lists of NEMA-standard motors (some lists are far longer than others) and never found on with 17/32. If there IS a NEMA-standard motor with 17/32 then it's one that is very obscure.

Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
You can usually drill a few new holes in the plate and buy a new pulley and skip all those issues.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
You can usually drill a few new holes in the plate and buy a new pulley and skip all those issues.
I don't know if motoretro's press is like mine, but I didn't find any near-match motors. They were either so large that the pully would no longer fit in the belt housing or too small to have any power. In my case a simple disassembly and assembly worked fine.

Grinnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I doubt the shaft is damaged as the full impact was right on the side of the motor at the rear and the hand wheel at the front, Drill press hit completely flush on it's side. There is a cast metal band portion of the motor housing in the middle which hit the concrete 1st and it cracked all the way through. The growling is only after running for 10-15 minutes, basically a increase of normal running noise. There does seem to be a bit more arcing when starting the motor than I remember.

I did the quick JB repair with motor in place back in the late summer to get a job done, I'm thinking of pulling the motor and grinding off the JB weld and checking everything out better and re-JB welding it.

Kinda neat story is I bought a new 1978 Toyota Landcruiser in later 1977 and on the way home from dealer(100 miles) I stopped at a big tool place and bought the Orbit 5 speed Drill press, a Century 200 amp AC/DC stick welder and a 1-1/2 ton Hein Warner floor jack, Geeze was the L/C loaded! So the DP has some sentimental value although to tell the truth, it turned out to be a excellent tool and has seen a lot of use, not bad for 35 years old.

Motoretro