Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Is a service Honda/Kawasaki 500 worth it?

Basically just wondering if a service honda/kawasaki 500 is worth the money? The Honda 500 is 11,999, and the Kawasaki is 12,499. This seems like a lot of money for a little lighter and better handling cr. As a side note, I could get a Maico 700 for around 10,000 shipped to my door. With lights and license plate on it for a "possible" street legal bike. I've spoken to the guy and all the Maico parts are on hand with any other parts being a few days out. Reliability actually seems pretty even between the three bikes. The 500's will weigh less, but not by much and given the additional power of the 700, I doubt it would be much of a difference in power to weight ratio. I rode a cr500 a few times and can only imagine how much more these bikes will feel even compared to that. It's easy to have a prejudice against the Maico, but I can't find a basis for it other than heebee-jeebees about rarity of the bike and dealers. Since both dealers would have to ship parts I needed anyway, I don't see much of a difference there. Basically, I would probably get the service bikes if they were 2 grand cheaper out the door, but given they are not, I want to know why. Any info on these bikes or similar bikes would be great; such as reasons why one is or is not better then the other, or why they are all bad/good. Thanks
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Not an owner but a friend let me take a few laps at Tomahawk on his CR500AF. Power with all the good manners of a modern bike. It takes an aggressive rider to manage one at speed but that's true about most big bore MX bikes. Parts availability is as close as your local Honda dealer with the exception of a few items that should you break there will be other things to concern yourself with. Like healing. All in all the Service Honda bike is almost as good as Honda's production in quality and they've been doing it for awhile.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
IMHO overpriced, but if you want a turn key bike that has good resale based on the name it's not a bad choice.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
PTRadam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
They come up on ebay/craigs list quite a bit. I'd keep an eye out for one there instead of buying new.
PTRadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Just be sure it's a Service Honda conversion. There is a difference. There are others but,well...uhm........shit a picture is worth a thousand words.