Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #16
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
I rode my Vespa from San Diego (well, Fallbrook CA actually) to the Canadian border last summer. It was awesome.

The person who said riding the coast from Huntington Beach up towards Malibu is boring is 100% on the money. It's nothing but stoplight after stoplight, traffic, and frustration. When I'm planning a ride from Fallbrook, it's a given that the first 2-3 hours will be on a freeway getting out of dodge, then I can slow down and smell the roses. OC/LA is just an obstacle to be overcome.

Try to make it for lunch at Neptune's Net just north of Malibu, LOTS of bikers stop there on their rides, and you can sit at a picnic table eating your lunch while watching the bikes and the Pacific Ocean. When you leave there and head towards Oxnard, you may see whales off the coast depending on the time of year you do the trip.

Unless you really like Santa Barbara, I'd consider staying in Cayucos, which is just past Morro Bay. It's a cool, funky little town with one main road that is usually bypassed.

Are you carrying extra gas? As long as you stay gassed up, you really don't need it, but there is a stretch along the CA central coast where if you don't keep it topped up, it can be a challenge.

When you get to Crescent City, are you turning around and heading home? I really enjoyed the road from Crescent City to Grant's Pass, OR. It was a couple of hours of twisty roads through the forest, with magnificent scenery. If you are ending your trip, you might enjoy riding into Grant's Pass, and then turning back. The downside for you might be that Grant's Pass is on Hwy 5, but retracing your steps back to the coast would still be a fantastic ride.

Definitely a fun route, really enjoyed Big Sur.

Post pics of your trip!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #17
Stroked 550 OP
Dirt Nut

Oddometer: 134
hey DesertSurfer.... thanks for the support yeah I was trying not to miss any photo ops along the way & got crucified for it lol ....Im the same way I take a lot of photos but I rather have too many then too few.

8thdwarf thanks for the suggestion I will check out the seal rookery...On the way up Im going to stay on hwy 1 with some dirt detours

Brooktown Geezer.... Im going to stay on the 5 fwy until I get north of LA .....I will plan it so I can stop at Neptune's for lunch I was thinking about stopping at Santa Barbra so I can venture off & hit some dirt....Im going to have about 5 gallons of gas with me...Now that you mention it I mine as well ride up to Grant's Pass & then turn around.

Im going to take tons of pics & videos & will post them up
Stroked 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
RattleCanRacer
AKA: Steve.

Oddometer: 49
Ride is pretty boring, nothing to really see, hope you get where you need to go as quickly as possible.

I'm kidding it's my ride, I love it and you will have a great time. I agree with those that told you it's over planned. Come on, is it boot camp or a ride? There are so many places to stay an camp out you just drive a couple miles if you are tired and a place will be close. I just bring a tent and basically pitch it anywhere, most people and places especially north of Marin are pretty laid back. Plus you never know who you will run into or where you might want to be a little longer, it's easy to sit and watch summer run Salmon try to jump over a small Dam for hours. Stinson Beach and all the luscious girls laying out or dudes if that's your thing, whatever, relax, enjoy it.
Presently: 87 Elite 150, Plated 100% rebuilt NOS 82' single carb XR500, NightHawk 650, CB400. My friend told me my Motorcycle smells weird. I told him, "I haven't figured out how to tune the smell yet." Another friend asked "Does your Elite have power surges?" I said "I wish!"
RattleCanRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Stroked 550 OP
Dirt Nut

would anyone like to do this trip with me?

I was thinking sometime in august
Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Forget what I told you before about riding from Crescent city to Grants Pass. It IS a nice road, but this summer I rode from Vancouver Island down to San Diego, and this time it was all coastal.

If you can swing it, keep going past Crescent City and head to Liggett, CA. The road from the 1 to Liggett is definitely worth the ride...mile after mile of twisty roads through redwood forests.

Have fun!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #21
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked 550 View Post
would anyone like to do this trip with me?

I was thinking sometime in august

I'm heading up the coast starting 8/6 and first stop is in Big Sur. meeting friends in Coos Bay, OR on the 9th, taking 3 days to get there. After that, Seattle for a visit with big sister. then? Glacier NP?
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #22
8thdwarf
perfect,just perfect

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Forget what I told you before about riding from Crescent city to Grants Pass. It IS a nice road, but this summer I rode from Vancouver Island down to San Diego, and this time it was all coastal.

If you can swing it, keep going past Crescent City and head to Liggett, CA. The road from the 1 to Liggett is definitely worth the ride...mile after mile of twisty roads through redwood forests.

Have fun!

man, you got stones. riding the coast on a Vespa from Fallbrook kuddos ..... my Girlfriend lives in the quaint village of Fallbrook ... small world....
8thdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
sweet. looks like you have the usal road in there and are camping in sinkyone state park.
lighthouse road campground west from patrolia is also killer as is the ride up & back prosper ridge road for the overlook.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 208
A Mendocino Suggestion, or Two...

If your a fan of great beer, rather than Sea Ranch, keep going until you get to Fort Bragg where you'll find the North Coast Brewing Company. They make great beer and it's all on tap in their Taproom and Grill. Plenty of places to stay that are a lot more reasonable, too.
Also, the run on 20 from Fort Bragg to Willits is pretty special and different in each direction.
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #25
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thdwarf View Post
man, you got stones. riding the coast on a Vespa from Fallbrook kuddos ..... my Girlfriend lives in the quaint village of Fallbrook ... small world....
Not really. Most people don't get how much power those old 2t Vespas put out!
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #26
Stroked 550 OP
Dirt Nut

thanks guys for all the info, I will be using it along the way

now I just gotta make the trip happen lol