Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #151
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
This helmet is outstanding, it's very quiet and comfortable, but keep in mind it's a street helmet so it doesn't work well with goggles if that's your thing. I rode almost 3000 miles with that smoked shield and no sunscreen and my face didn't have one bit of sunburn and the helmet worked just beautifully. I was also wearing earplugs for much of the trip which makes it very calm inside of the helmet and easy to focus on my riding. I have a basically new size L silver Arai XD3 that I replaced with the Variant and I will never go back that lid as I experienced a lot of noise and turbulence with it. I know the Variant looks like a Halo Master Chief lid, but that doesn't bother me at all. This helmet was also much less expensive than the Arai or Shoei. I highly recommend it..
I also have been wearing a Variant as a replacement for my Arai XD. It is quieter and there may be a slight benefit in visor lift over the Arai. It has more airflow vs my old XD and living in FL that is a real benefit. I do not like how the shield attaches and it doesn't lock like the Arai ( and I would say no where near the quality either). I am still looking.....

5 speed screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 07:56 AM
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #152
zeegman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Day 5

Day 5 Aug 25

Day five included sweeping mountain views from ridge tops along Gravelly Range, and would be about 200 miles.
We would also see Brundage Bridge, Red Rock Pass, meet up with foreigner bikers, cross back and forth between Idaho and Montana, visit Island Park Lodge, and end up a great camp spot near pristine waters.

After gassing up we left Dillon for the nice mellow country roads to the East
Here is Paul stopped along the roadside with rolling mountains on either side of the road – not a sole to be seen – it was a bit cooler with very light sprinkles and overcast clouds but that was fine as it kept the dust down.

Entering Beaverhead forest

Nice forested valleys

We passed this lone house just before the turnoff North onto North Continental Divide road

We reach the turn off and Jeremy heads North to Gravelly Range

After travelling several miles on a freshly graded lumpy road that looked like this

We reach the road (290) that takes us in a loop around the range

Paul is excited to see the mountains ahead and gives a rider’s salute.

Paul/Jill travel over a wooden bridge on the way up and it looks like Paul’s coolant bottle is a little low.

The start of the mountains

And with mountains comes streams, and with streams come fish, and with fish come Anglers

Getting closer to the mountains

We stop for a lunch break and water at a rustic little rest stop

After the break we head off into a small road in a narrow canyon along side a pristine mountain stream.
Here is video of my approach into the canyon and my splash in the puddles.

Followed by Jeremy’s splash in the puddles.

We start making a climb up into the mountains on a windy switch back road and finally pop out on the top ridge meadows

for a huge panorama view

Here is a panorama video view of the mountains from up top. When you are on top everywhere you look is awesome scenery.

Some of the vegetation on the way up to the top along the red rock roads

Some video of the travels on the ridge

Some wildlife up there – a lone pronghorn and a beautiful huge hawk stand on guard

Makin our way to an awesome peak in the distance

There is so much scenery it takes your breath away so you need to take a break every once and a awhile to catch your breath as Jill does by this stream

Video of the road near the peak (with ATVs with a dog on the back – frikin traffic jam)

Saw a horsedrawn chuckwagon high up on the mountain ridges.

There was a tiny rain shower now and then but nothing to complain about

We then started our descent down from the Gravelly range – too bad but the views were great and the summer flowers were out in full force.

We left the Gravelly range behind and headed South East over Brundage Bridge

After the bridge we headed further East to Red Rock Pass

Along the way we stopped for a break at a place called “Center for Earth Concerns”

There were several nice cabins and some old relic farm machinery, and some wild Canadians!
They were from Alberta and Saskatchewan and were dong the Continental Divide ride from North to South on KTMs and A BMW 1200GS.

It was a ADV rider convention!

We chatted about our rides for a bit and since they were heading in the same direction we might see them again on the way and bid Adieu!
Headed East towards Continental Divide we saw a neat Ranch entrance

We finally reach the Continental Divide

Jeremy straddles the Continental Divide

We were energized by getting to the Continental Divide - Jeremy was rockin it good after that

and reached Hwy 20 soon after and headed south towards Island Park Lodge

This place was very rustic inside and has a long history

We sat down and had a good evening meal

Went to the gas station and the store was pretty good too – gotta love the bear.

We drove along the road east from the store about 5 miles to a beautiful campground called Big Springs with almost nobody in it except Canadians!
There goes the neighborhood. We caught up with the same guys we saw earlier on bikes. We all camped together.

Big Springs campground is the site of a pristine natural spring called Big Spring that drains into Henry’s Fork and is where Sockeye Salmon and Big trout spawn.
It is designated a National Natural Landmark so it is a protected site with no fishing allowed to keep it pristine.
It was getting dark and did not see any fish in the pond there that night but we had a fire and some hot chocolate and declared this to be one the most memorable days of the trip.
We had a very sound sleep and the next day morning would bring some awesome surprises.

zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #153
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKRYDER View Post
So primitive by today's standards. We've come a long long way...
Just wait, they'll be saying that about us.

Thanks for the ride report. Looks like a good trip.

Nut Clutch screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:12 AM
Nut Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #154
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
love your video and pics..... absolutely gorgeous country... thanks!!!

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #155
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,701
Looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #156
zeegman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 6 Aug 26

Day six started with a great surprise in the morning at the Big Springs pond right bedside the campground.
The day would include our early morning wildlife encounters, sweeping forested valleys, Wyoming border, a scary lightning storm in the middle of the forest,
massive mountain views at the Grand Teton National park, and would be about 203 miles long.

After breakfast we took a little walk around the Big Spring pond at the campsite

There was a small historic cabin and a little pump house with a working water wheel.

But Paul and Jill were the early birds and spotted the main attraction - wildlife
There were three mooses munching on the pond veggies. They seemed very content as we were very close to them without spooking them.

The moose decided to get to greener pastures and crossed the road to get to the stream on the other side

After the moose wondered off we saw something moving in the waters of under the bridge over the stream.
Several large trout were lazily swimming under the bridge, here is one of them

And several bright red Sockeye Salmon

Luckily for these guys and the moose this is a protected area so no hunting or fishing allowed.
Well it was time to hit the road and so we headed South and hit the dirt.

After a while we passed Mesa Falls – we decided to press on since we were a bit behind at this point.

A little further on we started to see some rain – we had a bit of rain off and on throughout the day but it was nothing major
You can also see the Grand Teton’s off in the distance – a destination later in the day

We saw some lightning bolts flashing in the distance and Jeremy stopped at this lake (Indian) that was almost completed choked by lilys to try and catch a lightning bolt on film without success

Just beyond the lake was a dam and you can see the station downhill

We then started to make our way into John D. Rockefeller Parkway

and through a forest that had been hit by a forest fire by the looks of the burnt and downed trees.
But it was still very scenic as we were skirting around the North end of the Grand Tetons.

We felt a little exposed here with no trees as there was still some light rain off and on and we could see lightning strikes and hear the thunder getting closer and closer.
One lightning strike came down very close to us as the thunder happened almost at the same time as the strike and it was really loud!
So we did not stick around too long and made our way east to hwy 191.We headed South into Grand Teton’s National Park

Our first views of the Majestic Mountains

Paul and Jill standing to get a good view and the mountains behind

A great panorama view and Paul

Paul and Jill and mountains

So we were enjoying the scenery so much we forgot to look at a few very important signs

At one point Jeremy disappeared and we waited for a while and wondered what happened.
Well as luck would have it Jeremy found the one cop in the whole park and he got busted for speeding!

At this point it was about noon and we were really hungry so we stopped in the park visitors center for fuel, supplies, and food

Some video of us approaching the Visitor center

We gassed up our bikes and parked them outside the grocery store

We had lunch at this place – I had an awesome buffalo burger with all the fixins

Jeremy was scoping out a new set of wheels – maybe this would help him slow down

After the meal we wondered over to our bikes to get ready to go and some guy comes up to me and tells me my bike is leaking.
I got to the bike and sure enough there was a huge puddle of gas under the bike and so I opened up the gas cap on the tank and even more fuel came pouring out.
What was happening is we have auxiliary 2 gallon tanks in addition to the main 5 gallon tank. The auxiliary tank is supposed to be shut off from the main tanks until the main is empty.
I did not shut it off and filled all three tanks up with fuel. It was a hot day and bikes were still warm and so the fuel expanded and pushed fuel out the top of the main tank.
My bike was covered in fuel and I just let it evaporate. Good thing nobody had a cigarette or it would have been a bad scene. Lesson learned.
We mounted the bikes and slowly headed out of the park but took a few last good pictures on the way out.

Video of us leaving the visitor center

Some kind of dam just off the Snake River

After the park we headed East on Hwy 287 and hit some road construction

We had to follow a pilot car – I wonder what would happen if we didn’t – after all we were on dual sport bikes

Hwy 287 started to bend South and we passed some really cool hoodoos and red rock

It was getting late in the day and we were nearing the turn off for the Union Pass dirt road.
As you can see in the photo there were rather dark looking clouds in the direction we needed to head to get to the next campsite.
Paul and Jill wanted to camp – Jeremy wanted to hotel it – I had to decide. I was worried about the clouds so I wimped out and decide to hotel it.
So Jeremy and I rode into Dubois and got a hotel. Paul and Jill braved the dark clouds to go camping for the night.
Here is the view Paul and Jill saw as the rode along Union Pass

And then miraculously the clouds disappeared and sun shone through at a nice little creek.

They carried on in full sun through the Teton Forest

They were looking for a spot to camp but one must be careful in the woods. I wonder if the Grizzley bears know what the “special rules” are?

The lonely hillside

Paul/Jill found a nice campsite just off the road complete with curious cows

Home sweet home – at least for one night

A pretty decent day with wildlife sightings, dodging lightning bolts, awesome mountains, evil cops, gas spewing bikes, construction delays, and cows in the campsite.
Tomorrow would bring seemingly endless wide open dusty roads, parting of the ways, getting slightly lost and the home of the “Big Cone”

zeegman screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 11:38 PM
Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #157
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,165
Mosquitos? They're voracious there in summer.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #158
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post

A great panorama view and Paul
Nice!
Man, you guys have such amazing luck with finding wildlife (Paul's bighorn in DV, etc)...
You're right, that is a great pano. LOVE the tetons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman View Post
Paul and Jill wanted to camp – Jeremy wanted to hotel it – I had to decide.
Heh, after meeting your group in person, these little tidbits are really fun...
I can totally hear that conversation in my head!

Good job, Mike - I know it's a ton of work to do a long ride report...
Just keep chipping away at it - You can do it!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #159
zeegman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the Motivation

Hi Kelly,

thanks for the motivation.
This last day report was extremely frustrating since it took three tries to enter it.
Lost about 4 hours doing it.
The website logged me out twice in the middle of entering the pictures.
The timeout period must be way too short or it is not recognizing I am working on a report or something like that.
It takes time to enter a lot of pictures and text and embed video.

Anyways I will continue till the whole thing is done but about 1 day per week.

Mike Z
Old 05-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #160
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Oddometer: 318
Other than getting a speeding ticket in a national park and the group getting separated after lunch, this was a great day of riding. Here is a panoramic shot I took of the Grand Teton mountains...this park is just gorgeous!

3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (UTBDR & COBDR)
DARKRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #161
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

A few more shots of the Grand Tetons...

3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #162
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Old 05-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #163
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Still very nice scenery outside of the park...

Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #164
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

One big Tonka Toy...

Old 05-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #165
DARKRYDER
NoNoob

Mike and I walked over to this place for dinner and then crashed out at the lodge for some much needed R&R...