Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #76
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,207
hey! I didint know there was a kobukan thread! subscribed!

seriously, I wish I had more time to ride with ya. stoopid job.

but you are doing a bang up job of finding all the stuff around here... i cant tell you how many people around here have never seen ANY of those places.
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #77
Hookapelli
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,269
Drop me a PM next time you're riding around my back yard! We'll join you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #78
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
hey! I didint know there was a kobukan thread! subscribed!

seriously, I wish I had more time to ride with ya. stoopid job.
Not only is there a thread, but I think there's a picture of you in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Drop me a PM next time you're riding around my back yard! We'll join you.
Pretty much every ride was a last minute decision this trip, but I did get a lot of great riding in. Flying back to Maine again the day after tomorrow - hope to catch up with all you guys next time. Had a great ride today with cushman thru the Chiricahua's and I discovered some more great roads over that way. I'm about four day-trips behind on the RR and probably won't get caught up for a few more days, but I'll get them posted up as soon as I can.

Ride safe!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #79
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

7/3/12

A Little Local Exploring

I decided to take a short ride today to explore some local dirt roads off Charleston Rd to the west of Tombstone. I did a little riding in here last winter and thought I should go see what else I could find in here.

I started out following some power lines. Nice riding and nice views.

Eventually, I came to a locked gate. This area is not too far from the San Pedro River, and the San Pedro River Riparian National Conservation Area is off limits to motorcycles. Iím OK with that as the Riparian is a beautiful area full of wildlife, hiking trails and historic town sites and silver stamping mill sites along the river. I also did some hiking in the Riparian while I was in the area this trip.

Back to the riding . . . although there was a gate preventing further travel up the power lines, there was another old dirt road/path heading off in another direction so I decided to follow that to see where it went.

That road led to a couple others, which I explored briefly before finding another way back out to Charleston Rd. I noticed another dirt road that looked interesting on the other side of Charleston and made note of it for another day.

I only spent a couple hours riding today, but I was able to add more tracks to my library of the area and found plenty more to explore close to home. The dirt roads seem to go on forever out here, and mountains and canyons are everywhere.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #80
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

7/5/12

Exploring the hills around Tombstone . . . and beyond

That dirt road I noticed a couple days ago was calling my name so I decided to go find out where it went. My maps indicated that there was a network of dirt roads in this area south of Tombstone, but you never really know what youíll find until you get out there. Sometimes the road goes nowhere, sometimes thereís a locked gate preventing you from getting anywhere, sometimes the road goes on and on, and sometimes you can ride for hours only to come to a locked gate that sends you backtracking. To me itís all part of the fun of exploring.

Not too far into this ride I came across a couple cows that had seen better days. They almost didnít even look real, but they were. I have no idea what might have happened to them.

The road went on . . .

and on . . .

The road was pretty rough in places, but nothing too difficult. Great views as always out here.

It wasnít long before I spotted an old mine.

This area around Tombstone is full of old mine sites. As I rode further I noticed them everywhere. Many had signs at the entrances.

Some looked like they had been partially filled in, and others looked like bottomless pits.

These cows were doing a little better than the first ones I saw.

The road went on . . .

I spotted a road cut into the side of a hill and wondered if I could make my way to it.

I found a road that went to it, but there was some steep, rough, rocky terrain.

I rode about two-thirds of the way to the road that traversed the hillside, but it became extremely rough, rocky and steep in places and I decided Iíd gone far enough alone on the big DR so I decided Iíd better look for something safer to pursue.

I found some more good roads and was hoping I might find a way out of here without backtracking. It was looking pretty promising for a while.

Eventually, the road that I was hoping would lead me through came to a dead end, and another road that looked promising on the map just didnít exist, and although I didnít have to backtrack I ended up following another road out, which ended up back on Charleston Road just a couple miles from where I started. Not what I was hoping for, but I still had a great time exploring in here for a couple hours and there is still more to explore here for the next time.

I decided to head over to Tombstone for a Sarsaparilla and then head back home a different route.

As I headed south from Tombstone on Route 80 I passed Davis Road - I had seen it on the map and wanted to check it out so off I went. This was the opposite direction of home, but the sky looked good - no storm clouds building yet and there was still plenty of daylight left, so I figured Iíd be OK.

Davis road is paved and starts out with some nice curves, but ends with long straights passing some beautiful farmland.

There was a dog guarding these sheep and he barked at me the whole time I was stopped. He kept moving a little closer, but he wouldnít stray far from the sheep. As I eventually rode off he ran toward me barking as if he was chasing me away and telling me not to come back.

Davis Road also passes by Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area. In the winter thousands of Sand Hill Cranes fly in here every evening.

There doesnít seem to be much going on here this time of year, other than a little maintenance work.

Davis Road intersects Route 191 in McNeal and I headed south toward Douglas on 191, but I made note of this spot wondering what the area might be like to the east of McNeal.

Thereís some barren looking land out this way.

Bisbee-Douglas International Airport? Flights to Mexico maybe?
And . . . a state prison.

I passed through Douglas without stopping beause there were some dark clouds lingering nearby. On toward Bisbee . . .

One of the first sights in Bisbee coming in from this direction is the Lavender Pit - darn big hole in the ground!

Bisbee
Folks seem to either love Bisbee, or hate it. There are some nice little shops and restaurants, and the Copper Queen Hotel. Bisbee is a place full of ďcharacters.Ē Itís a little strange, but worth a visit.

From Bisbee it was a relatively short and uneventful ride home and the end of another great day of riding in southeastern AZ. I explored some new areas, found more to explore on some other days, and managed to avoid the afternoon storms. This time of year there are always afternoon thunderstorms around - on a good day you only see them from a distance.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 07-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #81
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

7/6/12

Another ride up Mt. Lemmon . . . the back way this time

On my first trip up Mt. Lemmon I discovered there was a dirt road up the back side from Oracle. The road was closed for winter at the time so I didnít get a chance to explore it. Now that itís summer I wanted to see what itís like.

I headed out early, around 6:30 and rode up through Tombstone to Benson, and then north on the Pomerene/Casabel Road to San Pedro River Road to San Manuel.

North of Benson, the road starts out a nice paved road with some fun curves and great views, but after a little while it turns to dirt.

Itís pretty dry out here.

The road winds through a valley following along the San Pedro River and passes by some nice farmland.

As always, there are nice views and interesting landscapes along the way.

In places where the road runs closer to the river there are many trees. Cottonwood trees line the river banks.

I passed by this spot and noticed the farmland through a small opening in the trees.

Not far from the river, there is what most people would probably think of as typical AZ landscape, if there is such a thing.

A nice view of some farmland with the mountains in the background.

Reddington Road Ė another great area to ride . . . some other day.

42 miles from Benson, 17 more to go to San Manuel . . .

On toward Oracle, and the road to Mt. Lemmon.

After passing through Oracle the road rises out of the valley quickly heading up toward Mt. Lemmon.

The road is in very good condition, and winds through canyons and along ridges offering great views of the mountains and the valley.

This little ranch house was about fifteen miles from Oracle, sitting out here all by itself. I could hear the sound of a rototiller and could just barely see someone running it in a garden near the house.

Views of the road back toward the valley - lots of switchbacks

The upper section of the road is closed during winter months.

The road gets steeper and the switchbacks are tighter up here, but the road is still in very good condition.

The road goes on . . .

Mt. Lemmon in the distance . . . getting close, but still a ways to go.

Near the top . . . itís rugged country up here.

At the top - some great views back toward the valley where I just came from.

Since Iíd been up M. Lemmon before and took a lot of pictures the last time, I didnít really take any pictures at the top. I took the main road down into Tucson, which is a spectacular road as well. Stopped for one good shot on the way down.

I wasnít sure what condition the back road up Mt. Lemmon would be in or how difficult a ride it would be, but the road turned out to be in very good condition and it was a relatively easy ride. There were some steep sections and very tight switchbacks near the top, but the entire road is passable in any truck or suv, maybe even most family cars, although there was virtually no traffic on the road, unlike the main road up from Tucson. It was a very scenic ride and once again I managed to beat the afternoon thunderstorms with my early start. I reached the top around noon and there were dark clouds gathering, but I was down off the mountain before the storm started. Another great AZ day trip!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #82
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
Great stuff. That part of the country is on my 'must do someday' list.......

And I"ll probably do it on my DR!

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #83
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

7/8/12

The back way to New Mexico . . . and a return trip thru the Chiricahuaís . . . and the Dragoons

Iíve been studying maps looking for anything interesting in the far southeast corner of AZ. I spotted some roads that looked like they had potential, but you know how that goes - a lot of things look good on a map. I hadnít really seen any mention of these roads in my research of the area so I thought dead ends, locked gates or simply no road there at all was a very real possibility, but I like to explore so I decided to go see what was out there.

I knew this would probably be my last long day trip before heading back to Maine in a couple days and I hadnít had a chance to ride with any of the local riders yet so I posted up in the Cochise County AZ Ride Coordination thread that I was thinking about heading over toward the Chiricahuaís in the morning if anyone was interested in joining me. It was short notice and I didnít expect much response, but you never know. Well, I got lucky and cushman replied that he wanted to join me. Awesome! Itís always great to ride with someone from the area. Found out during the ride that cushman is another easterner (like me) whoís only been in AZ for a few months, so I didnít get a lot of local knowledge out of him, but he turned out to be a great guy who knows how to handle a bike and we had a great day of riding. It was a pleasure to meet you cushman - hope to ride with you again next time Iím in the area!

This had the potential of being a long day since I figured we cover close to 250 miles, and didnít how many times weíd have to change course, so we met at 6:30 am and after brief introductions headed toward Tombstone. Fuel was going to be tight so we were hoping to top off in Tombstone because there wasnít likely to be any fuel on our route until we made a full circle back to Tombstone, and that was a long way. It was a Sunday morning so I wasnít sure if anything would be open that early, but the day started well as the gas station was open and we got what we needed, and that made me feel a little better. It may have only been a small amount of fuel, but it could represent a long walk.

Continuing on, we headed south from Tombstone on Route 80 and onto Davis Road toward McNeal - where I had been just a few days earlier. This time the plan was to head further east from McNeal on dirt roads. These were the roads I was unsure about, but they sure looked good on the map. I had explained the situation to cushman earlier and he was very understanding about the fact that I didnít know if weíd get thirty miles down these dirt roads only to hit a locked gate. He enjoyed riding and exploring and was up for whatever came along. Great attitude . . . I like riding with guys like that.

As we headed down the dirt road out of McNeal things were looking really good - really nice road that looked like it might go somewhere.

The plan was to take Davis Road to Leslie Canyon Road, then Rucker Canyon Road and then Price Canyon Road, which I hoped would eventually intersect Route 80 about twenty miles south of Rodeo New Mexico. If all went well it would be about fifty miles through what looked like a fairly remote area on the map. It was a long shot gamble.

The monsoon season had just begun and starting out I was a little concerned regarding possible wet areas. Some of the roads in this part of the country can get really soft when they get wet and you can be axle deep in mud so thick you canít move before you know what happened. Or, there can be water flowing across the road that just isnít passable. It rained pretty hard the night before this ride so I was watching the road carefully for signs of mud.

We were moving along pretty well and even 10-15 miles in the road was well maintained and in pretty good condition, which was a really good sign in terms of possibly getting all the way through.

I had made note of another dirt road shown on the map heading north at about the halfway point. I thought if we made it that far then got turned back for some reason that might be a way out toward the Chiricahuaís without backtracking all the way.

Luck appeared to be with us today as we approached that road and saw a road sign that indicated we might indeed be able to get out that way if needed. Notice all the water on the side of the road. We had ridden through numerous puddles by this times, some deeper than others, one pretty big one. We stopped to check a couple of them before proceeding through just to make sure we wouldnít sink out of sight in mud. Fortunately we hadnít hit any deep mud (yet), but there was about a ten mile stretch of that road where the whole road was wet and just soft enough to make the ride very interesting. We were both glad to get past that.

Further on the road was still in great shape. This was a beautiful area and I donít think we ever saw anyone else out here. There was water in the washes and it was flowing across the road in places.

We were getting close to making it through to Route 80 and things were looking really good, then all of a sudden the road just headed into a wash for a bit and got pretty rough before crossing the wash to what looked like more good road. Unfortunately, recent rains had covered the road on the other side of the wash with a layer of thick mud about up to our foot pegs. We got off to assess the situation. There was a set of tire tracks where it looked like a truck had gone through recently. They clearly showed the depth of the mud, but more importantly they showed us that there was solid ground underneath, and even more importantly they gave us a path through the deep mud. This would have been extremely difficult to get through if those tire tracks werenít there, but as it turned out we got through no problem. Everything seemed to be going our way so far.

cushman navigates the tire track through the deep mud

As soon as we turned the corner past the mud the road opened up to this . . .

And led us to this . . . Highway 80 . . . we made it through!

Twenty miles later we were in rodeo New Mexico, just over the state line.

Rodeo is a pretty tiny place kind of out in nowhere, but we passed an RV park there with fuel pumps and there was an older lady sitting there so I decided to stop. I hate passing up fuel out here so if there was any chance of getting some I intended to. We pulled in and asked the lady if there was fuel available - she said she had called the store owner a little while ago and he was supposed to be coming down to meet her so she could get some gas. He was due there any minute. You gotta love these little stores out in nowhere. We decided we really didnít want to wait around for who knows how long, but just as we were getting on our bikes he pulled up and opened the store. We topped of our tanks, grabbed something to drink, and took a short break at one of the little tables in front of the store.

A couple miles north of Rodeo we headed into the Chiricahuaís on a nice scenic road that would lead us over to Pinery Canyon Rd, which would take us across the mountains and come out near the entrance to the Chiricahua National Monument. The last time I road through here it was winter and I hit snow at the higher elevations. No snow this trip.

We didnít make too many picture stops crossing through the Chiricahuaís, but I got a few. It sure is a beautiful area.

We just beat the storm brewing in the mountains. This shot is looking back toward where we came from.

Back down in the valley the roads were a lot flatter, and a lot straighter. We passed through Pearce and kept on trucking up into the Dragoons across Middlemarch Road back to Tombstone, and then a short ride home.

It turned out to be a fantastic day. Luck was on our side the whole way. Iíd definitely like to ride those dirt roads again . . . I think I saw some side roads . . . wonder where those go?
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #84
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Small hijack:

Had a great ride with Kobukan on 7/8/2012. I don't know the area very well, so I relied on a guy from Maine to lead me around the desert.

Next time you're in town, I have the pics and movies saved to disks for you. Let's ride!

Roads started like this

Kobukan and I noticed that when the cameras came out, we were both running to get out of the pics...sorry Kobukan, gotcha.

The mud. Kobukan made it look easy going thru...

Round the corner and it opened up to this

Been searching for this place my whole life. But, since we were out to adventure, we turned left instead.

Awesome views, awesome roads. Look close and you will see the switchbacks thru there.

And we dodged a monsoon like this one

Great ride. Great time.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #85
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,944
Man, it's been so awesome, reading this thread! Last September, when I rode the Arizona Trail from Nogales to Paige Utah, I went through so many of the places you've shown us! On day two of nine, we rode over Mt. Lemmon, down the control road, had some Mexican food in Oracle, then continued to the Gila River all the while getting NAILED by a monsoon. Good times... Your pictures make me feel like I'm there again! Thank you.
Benduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #86
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Thanks for posting those pics cushman. Hang onto that disk and I'll look you up for another ride next time I'm in town . . . or, if you feel like mailing it - pm me for my ME address and I'll buy you lunch next time I'm in town. Hoping to get back there in September.

Trespasser - sounds like you had quite an adventure, thanks for reading and welcome to the forum.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #87
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,944
Oops. Failed to mention I was on a mtn bike. We rode from Mexico to Utah including crossing the Grand Canyon with our bikes broken down on our backs, in nine days.
Thanks K!e
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #88
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser View Post
Oops. Failed to mention I was on a mtn bike. We rode from Mexico to Utah including crossing the Grand Canyon with our bikes broken down on our backs, in nine days.
Thanks K!e
I thought that might be the case . . . even more of an adventure on a mtn bike! That's something I wouldn't mind doing sometime. I hiked the Grand Canyon once many years ago . . . on a whim. My wife and I were passing through on a tour of the southwest. We stopped there for a couple days and I told her I wanted to take a quick hike down while we were there. I went down the Kaibab trail to Phantom Ranch, took a break for about an hour and then headed back up. I started down at 6:00 am and met my wife back at the top at 2:00 pm - an 8-hour round trip. I've done a lot of hiking in the mountains of New England, but I think that was the toughest hike I've ever done in one day.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 07-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #89
fishwich
El Borbah

Oddometer: 1,647
Great thread. I haven't been on some of those roads in 20 years or so.
fishwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #90
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwich View Post
Great thread. I haven't been on some of those roads in 20 years or so.
Thanks fishwich. Sounds like you need to come south for a ride sometime.
A Few Days Solo in Baja