Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #106
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Thanks BigDog. Like most folks, I've read some of your great adventures. I think I've probably followed some of your tracks. Dingweed sent me some tracks for Camino del Diablo a while back - hope to ride it sometime in the not too distant future. Appreciate the info on Johnny Ringo's grave site - haven't been there, but I just made a waypoint for it and I'll definitely check it out. I've ridden within a few miles of there numerous times.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #107
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

10/19/12

Roaming around the Santa Ritaís

Thereís something really special about the Santa Rita Mountains and surrounding area. Itís a little different than other nearby areas and has a special beauty all its own. I love the flowing fields in the area around Sonoita, and the views from the east side of the mountains are wonderful.

On a previous ride I found a dirt route through the Santa Ritaís to green Valley, which was one of my favorite rides. Looking at some maps there seemed to be another route through that might be a little shorter and maybe a little smoother Ė I thought Iíd check it out for the future when I might be out with someone on a bigger bike that wasnít necessarily up for the longer rougher route I explored before. There were also numerous dirt roads I passed on a previous ride north of 82, east of Sonoita Ė thought this would also be a good time to see where some of them went. If everything worked out Iíd have a nice loop Ė starting, of course with another run through Montezuma Pass. Iíve been through Montezuma Pass so many times now Iíve lost count, but it never gets old, and since itís close to where I stay and leads to a lot of great riding it has become familiar territory.

So I made the run through Montezuma pass, up past Parker Canyon Lake and continued north a little way, and then took a right onto Elgin Canelo Rd up through Elgin to 82.

The beautiful flowing fields around Elgin.

I rode a couple miles east on 82, then picked up Granite Peak Rd Ė a dirt road running north. I rode through here all the way to I-10 once before, but today Iíd be diverging west at some point onto some other dirt roads that would hopefully bring me out to 83 where I could cross into the Santa Ritaís.

It gets a little rough through here in places, but nothing too extreme.

I stopped to take a break, have a drink of water and enjoy the scenery for a few moments . . . when I saw this cow patty and decided to become an artist.
If any of you AZ riders have discovered my artwork in your travels Iíd love to hear about it.

I found one of the roads I was looking for and it was pretty smooth sailing. Eventually, I came to this sign, which gave me a little info about where I was.

This is a beautiful area.

I passed by Empire Ranch on my way out to 83.

No Prairie Dog hunting. Heck, I didnít know people hunted those things.

Oh, thatís where I am! I knew that.

I crossed 83, and headed west for Box Canyon Rd, not really knowing what Iíd find, but hoping it would be a decent dirt route through to Green Valley. It turned out to be a great route Ė not difficult, but very scenic, and went all the way through to Rte. 19 coming out just south of Green valley in Continental.

After a short ride down Rte.19, I took River Rd. over to 82 and rode up to Patagonia for lunch at what has become one of my all-time favorite little restaurants Ė the Gathering Grounds. A better burger you will not find anywhere. I ate outside and relaxed there for a while enjoying the food and watching folks come and go. Then, it was back on the road again. I took the scenic route home, as usual Ė south through Harshaw to Lochiel, then the nice run along the border and up and over Montezuma Pass once again. As I reached lower ground on the east side of the pass, almost home, there was a beautiful sunset behind the clouds and mountains, bringing yet another terrific day of AZ riding to an end.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #108
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
Great pics and narration, thanks!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #109
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,530
Being from Maine you'll understand this - you wicked suck.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #110
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Truly enjoying the photos and commentary.

Makes me want to get out and discover more of my local area.

Well done!

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #111
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Thanks guys

EvilClown - keep that suck-ometer handy, I'll have some fresh Baja pics tomorrow if I can find some wifi down there.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #112
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I sent Kobukan a PM awhile back and told him how much I enjoyed these AZ trip reports. I'm back at my parents house in MD and just looked at thread again and it reminded me of the fun I had while stationed at Fort Huachuca for many years. The location made duty with the less than honorable and professional US Army Military Intelligence branch at Huachuca tolerable.

Great pictures and narrative! I'm looking forward to returning and riding soon!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #113
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Thanks kojack06. I'm actually in the area again now . . . sort of. I arrived in Sierra Vista again about a week and half ago - been on the road for a week. Headed north this time and have been enjoying some great riding in the Moab area.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #114
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Looking forward to your next installment. I bought a place in Scottsdale last month, but I haven't been to it since I closed. I'll spend October there I think. First thing I'll do is get the garage sorted. You know; epoxy floor, work bench, tire changing stand etc.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #115
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,471
Great shots, brings back memories. I too was at Huachuca in the 70's and rode an XT500 all about. Sierra Vista was very small back then. Broke my first bone out there!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #116
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Two epic thumbs up.

Love this thread, great photos and info. I bet me and many others would just about pay for a map of all the trails you took, you should work for Butler- they still need a Arizona map.

Out of curiosity, do you ever ride any trails further North, around Phoenix and up towards Flagstaff?

From what I've heard Tuscon and the areas around it are prime for OHV trails, Phoenix seems to fall short a bit and even then you've gotta get out of the city a bit. I notice the trails around Phoenix seem to be more technical and rough while the ones near Tuscon seem better groomed. I prefer your "dirt road" type trails with a few bumps here and there.
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #117
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Looking forward to your next installment. I bought a place in Scottsdale last month, but I haven't been to it since I closed. I'll spend October there I think. First thing I'll do is get the garage sorted. You know; epoxy floor, work bench, tire changing stand etc.
Probably doesn't get much better than October in AZ. Good luck with the new place . . . should give you lots of great riding opportunities. I haven't added much to this thread in my last few trips out here because I've been heading off to places like Baja, Copper Canyon and Moab, but there's plenty more great riding in AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Great shots, brings back memories. I too was at Huachuca in the 70's and rode an XT500 all about. Sierra Vista was very small back then. Broke my first bone out there!
Thanks Mudclod. Let's hope there's no more broken bones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Love this thread, great photos and info. I bet me and many others would just about pay for a map of all the trails you took, you should work for Butler- they still need a Arizona map.

Out of curiosity, do you ever ride any trails further North, around Phoenix and up towards Flagstaff?

From what I've heard Tuscon and the areas around it are prime for OHV trails, Phoenix seems to fall short a bit and even then you've gotta get out of the city a bit. I notice the trails around Phoenix seem to be more technical and rough while the ones near Tuscon seem better groomed. I prefer your "dirt road" type trails with a few bumps here and there.
Thanks Zeid. I'm not looking for a job, but I'd be happy to share my tracks with anyone who's seriously planning to ride them - just pm me. It took a lot of research initially to find most of the places I've been since I didn't know the area at all, but it was worth it.

Haven't ridden much north of Tuscon. There's probably still a lot around Tuscon I haven't ridden. One of these times when I'm out here I hope to just spend a week or so on the road exploring some good dirt roads that are a little out of range for day trips from Sierra Vista.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #118
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,241
I'm still holding a beer for ya over here. ;)
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #119
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
And I can bring six of their little friends...
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #120
kobukan OP
almost gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
And I can bring six of their little friends...
Hey guys . . . long time no see - I just arrived back in town this afternoon after 2,200 miles and ten days on the road. Planning to do some hiking Thursday, but might be up for a ride Friday or Saturday. Sunday is bike prep day - Monday I fly back to Maine.
A Few Days Solo in Baja