User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,989
Rally West Virginia 2012

Just got an email informing me the date is now July 27-28, 2012, at Snowshoe Mountain.

I had a really good time, last year: D I dont think I can repeat the performance, but it will be fun to try.

www.rallywv.com
Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Just got an email informing me the date is now July 27-28, 2012, at Snowshoe Mountain.

I had a really good time, last year: D I dont think I can repeat the performance, but it will be fun to try.

www.rallywv.com
I think we will be there this year:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
I've never done a motorcycle race in my life, but this one has been standing in my backyard taunting me for the last 2 years. It looks awesome. I'm hoping to try it this year!

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,917
Cool2 I haven't tried RWV yet

I'll put this on my calendar and hope to make it. I have yet to run in Rally West Virginia. I like the timing of this event.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

There were definitely a few rough edges last year. I hope they get them sorted out. The roads were pretty cool, though. Some of it got canned at the last minute (one of the rough edges) and we ended up with a 20 mile stage through a timber company's land, private road, so not much chance of oncoming 20 miles is a nice distance. A lot can happen. Ran it four or five times forward and reverse.

Officially, a lot of things were sub par but I really hope they pull it together, it has great potential.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,660
It's on my calendar. I'll be there if it's on. So far, sounds promising. It sounds like the organizers could learn from last year, which I don't doubt they have.

Here's to a great RWV!

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
It's on my calendar. I'll be there if it's on. So far, sounds promising. It sounds like the organizers could learn from last year, which I don't doubt they have.

Here's to a great RWV!

dc
Make sure you have a crew or someone keeping tabs on you. The area is in a no cell area, because of the radio telescopes at the near by research center.
If you get stuck in the bush, nobody will know where you are and you won't be able to call. Handheld HAM might be a good idea.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Make sure you have a crew or someone keeping tabs on you. The area is in a no cell area, because of the radio telescopes at the near by research center.
If you get stuck in the bush, nobody will know where you are and you won't be able to call. Handheld HAM might be a good idea.
Snowshoe has some cell reception, though you may have to stand on a big pile of dirt in the parking lot to find it. SPOT trackers and the like still work out here.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 339
I'm going to try this one this year. Turn signals and brake light being installed on the XR as we speak along with a motor "chech up" (Thanks Combustion Cycles!).
Without wanting to start a tire debate I have 606's mounted now. Speak up if they are not appropriate.I may not listen anyway cause the wallet will make the call at the time
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 204
Rally WV

Sweet. Looking forward to it.
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomo View Post
Snowshoe has some cell reception, though you may have to stand on a big pile of dirt in the parking lot to find it. SPOT trackers and the like still work out here.
I think I was able to get a signal in the big parking lot up top but nothing on the stages. When I had the mechanical breakdown, my Wife was freaking out, She could see the scoring but had no other information. I was there alone. Fortunately Dave, Christian and Jason rescued me about 4am after hearing from the rally people that I was stuck in the middle of the stage.
I was getting ready to start walking back to the resort which was about 15 miles away

The one stage road was really nice though, the surface was good and the terrain had just enough elevation changes without being overly technical about it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
This is much more convenient to me than Sandblast was. I stuck it on my calendar, it's a ways out but I'd really like to run this!
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I think I was able to get a signal in the big parking lot up top but nothing on the stages. When I had the mechanical breakdown, my Wife was freaking out, She could see the scoring but had no other information. I was there alone. Fortunately Dave, Christian and Jason rescued me about 4am after hearing from the rally people that I was stuck in the middle of the stage.
I was getting ready to start walking back to the resort which was about 15 miles away

The one stage road was really nice though, the surface was good and the terrain had just enough elevation changes without being overly technical about it.
Maybe they should get a sweep rider like they do in Harescrambles at some of the tracks.....would be a good way to get more volunteers......also what are these roads like...is this mostly grave? Do you have to have leathers?
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
I have 606's mounted now.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson357 View Post
Maybe they should get a sweep rider like they do in Harescrambles at some of the tracks.....would be a good way to get more volunteers......also what are these roads like...is this mostly grave? Do you have to have leathers?
Its essentially like Black River. Gravel/hardpack. More elevation, though, but regardless- no leathers just regular gear.
There is a sweep truck, or combo and heavy sweep in theory, just like other rallies. THis one slipped through the cracks, unfortunately.

I pretty much have 606's on permanent install