Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #196
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
So I went riding with some people this weekend and one of the riders told me about 10 times not to do this ride until I am a spectator for one or I may hurt myself really badly. He said the speeds are very very high. I really want to do this race but am I going to hurt myself by riding at a pace that isn't super fast? This would be my first race.
RWV last year was my first ever rally. Of course I am on a MUCH slower bike than you but nothing scared me too much. I think my top speed was probably just over 70. I tend to fear what I cannot see which is a good survival trick. If you are constantly afraid that the blind corner you are entering tightens up and has a sheer cliff on the other side you will be fine.

So, the real question you need to ask yourself is are you the sort of rider who gets caught up in the "red mist". If so then you might want to think twice.

As far as not being good in sand that isn't an issue. These roads are all hard packed with some loose rock on top but no sand or deep gravel.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #197
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
RWV last year was my first ever rally. Of course I am on a MUCH slower bike than you but nothing scared me too much. I think my top speed was probably just over 70. I tend to fear what I cannot see which is a good survival trick. If you are constantly afraid that the blind corner you are entering tightens up and has a sheer cliff on the other side you will be fine.

So, the real question you need to ask yourself is are you the sort of rider who gets caught up in the "red mist". If so then you might want to think twice.

As far as not being good in sand that isn't an issue. These roads are all hard packed with some loose rock on top but no sand or deep gravel.
No, I don't get caught up in the red mist. Gerry was behind me a bit on Sunday and I didn't change my pace. I'm fairly competent on gravel so I look forward to this. I'll ride cautiously and see if I can build my pace as the rally goes on, if not no worries.

I'm glad Sarah didn't trash talk me, she surely could have. Maybe I looked really bad ass? haha I wish I could have traded the strom for a KTM when I got to Ouray.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #198
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
No, I don't get caught up in the red mist. Gerry was behind me a bit on Sunday and I didn't change my pace. I'm fairly competent on gravel so I look forward to this. I'll ride cautiously and see if I can build my pace as the rally goes on, if not no worries.
Anders has a good way to measure your progress which I like. On each stage keep track of all of those "almost" moments that could have ended up worse, like running wide on the corner. Measure your progress by how many of these you count each stage.

Sounds like you have the right mindset for this. I think you will do fine. Looking forward to meeting you and checking out your "dirt ninja".
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #199
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Anders has a good way to measure your progress which I like. On each stage keep track of all of those "almost" moments that could have ended up worse, like running wide on the corner. Measure your progress by how many of these you count each stage.
Wait........am I getting better when I have more of the "almost" moments?

i am scared shiteless thinking about doing this rally. But everything I'm getting from you guys is that I need to just view it as a dual sport gathering. I'm scared, but excited at the same time. When do we have to pay for the rally??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #200
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
I'm glad Sarah didn't trash talk me, she surely could have. Maybe I looked really bad ass? haha I wish I could have traded the strom for a KTM when I got to Ouray.

Nope, just telling a story. I figured you might have gotten a bit over your head with the Strom
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #201
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Anders has a good way to measure your progress which I like.
Gravel ruler?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #202
GingerKid
How about that self...

Oddometer: 387
Quote:

I'd never, that was a scary sight. Considering there was a memorial cross about 200 feet from where you landed. Total respect for taking that thing where you did, I would have turned around on anything bigger than my bike...

Check out my riding/racing videos!! http://www.youtube.com/user/Hastyp3a...ew=0&flow=grid
GingerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #203
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bones- View Post
I'd never, that was a scary sight. Considering there was a memorial cross about 200 feet from where you landed. Total respect for taking that thing where you did, I would have turned around on anything bigger than my bike...
Sarah, now that I have your respect, I can gladly retire from riding. I mean what else is there to achieve? At least I have an excuse to go back to Ouray, we have unfinished business.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #204
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

i am scared shiteless thinking about doing this rally. But everything I'm getting from you guys is that I need to just view it as a dual sport gathering. I'm scared, but excited at the same time. When do we have to pay for the rally??
Hopefully registration will open soon.

It is, or can be a lot like a dual sport gathering, and a little fear is a good thing, too

I think its the HP2's that seem to throw people off the most. Those things are dangerous
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #205
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
It is like golf, low score wins

Quote:
Being a little scared probably isn't a bad thing, means you are taking it seriously. It is the riders who think they are going to show up at their first race and blow everybody away that concern me. Luckilly those guys like an audience so rally isn't for them. They go ride MX.

Yes, consider it a dual sport gathering, but one where you are allowed to ride as fast (or slow) as you want to. Nice knowing there is another rider just a minute behind you, and an ambulance not far away in case anything does go wrong.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #206
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Quote:
It is like golf, low score wins

Being a little scared probably isn't a bad thing, means you are taking it seriously.
And also, you know, you have to get your money's worth
Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #207
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
And also, you know, you have to get your money's worth
Good point, kind of like a good roller coaster, if it doesn't scare you a little why pay to go to the park
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #208
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I think its the HP2's that seem to throw people off the most. Those things are dangerous

I sooo want to run one at Sandblast....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #209
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
This guy said he had done rally in a car for 14 years and had done the WV rally several years. He said the speeds reach 125mph+. I am pretty conservative and not easily coerced to ride above where I feel comfortable. I rode the TAT and the speed on my KLR often saw 75+ on the dirt/gravel/sand with 100+ pounds of luggage on it. Maybe he just thought I sucked(we were riding in sand and I suck at sand) haha.
It's certainly hard to coerce someone to ride faster when everyone is riding alone: you each start on your own minute.

I know this gets boring coming from me all the time... but let's look at some data. Here's a graph of average speeds from last year:

For me, #161 last year, my top speed for the weekend was 82 MPH according to my GPS, and I can tell you I didn't hold it for long. Bike is a Husky TE 610 (576cc). I'm a near-newb. Jason(#138) has a speedfactor of about 0.88, meaning that he's usually going 88% the speed of the fastest guys who run. So, if our fastest guys showed up, multiply the average winning speeds shown by 1.13ish

Cranky's speedfactor is about .98, so he knows what he's talking about. Wait, did I just say that?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #210
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
*grin*

The idea to create a feedback loop. Unlike a track where you can get very accurate feedback (via timing) every 90 seconds on your way around the track, rallies you might not get anything till the end of the day.

Quote:
i am scared shiteless thinking about doing this rally. ... I'm scared, but excited at the same time.
I've done rally for a decade and I still get scared. That's what makes it awesome.

Quote:
When do we have to pay for the rally??
Usually about 10 weeks out "formal" registration, and payment, opens.

Here's stage 1. Skip to the 3:00 minute mark for the start. Enjoy the crashing hilarity at the end. Take home lesson... it's just a road. Nothing magical. Go as fast as you want to.