Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #211
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,819
Speed factors

Anders,

Would be kind of cool to be able to see my speed factor, perhaps it could be put on the nasarallysport site in the profile info where people could see their own speed factor but not necessarily out there for everybody to see. Just thinking that over time it would be an interesting way to measure progress. Well, that and your system of how many "almost" moments of course. I think I am improving in that area, didn't end up on the ground once at Sandblast (had 1 fall each at RWV and BRS last year).
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #212
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Anders,

Would be kind of cool to be able to see my speed factor, perhaps it could be put on the nasarallysport site in the profile info where people could see their own speed factor but not necessarily out there for everybody to see. Just thinking that over time it would be an interesting way to measure progress. Well, that and your system of how many "almost" moments of course. I think I am improving in that area, didn't end up on the ground once at Sandblast (had 1 fall each at RWV and BRS last year).
http://rallymoto.com/NRS-Speedfactors-Bike.pdf

From 2010, so they are public, just not updated
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #213
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
I'll tell you what I hate: getting an email a week after the rally asking me when the speedfactors are going to be updated. Because after putting on a rally I like to relax with a nice evening of cozying up to a a spreadsheet and crunching a bunch of numbers, it's really a nice reward after the stress of putting on a rally.

Yeah, they're interesting... but they work best at what they're designed to do: get a rough start order figured out. People tend to put more value into them than they deserve, after all, they boil down a thousand turns over a year into one number.

Doug, you're a smart cookie... you can figure out your own speed factor. Your overall time (in seconds) / Winner's overall time (in seconds). Average your last 3 events. Easy.

Cheers,
Anders
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #214
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,529
If I'm at .88 than the fast guys have not been showing up lately
Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #215
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Ok, I'm in. Emailed my paperwork to Amy yesterday.

One request though, is that when I am trying to kick start my XRR, I need everyone to chant "start piggy, start piggy, start piggy, start..." until it does.

Look forward to meeting all of you.
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #216
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.G. View Post
Ok, I'm in. Emailed my paperwork to Amy yesterday.

One request though, is that when I am trying to kick start my XRR, I need everyone to chant "start piggy, start piggy, start piggy, start..." until it does.

Look forward to meeting all of you.
I think we can handle that
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #217
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,173
Thanks guys!!!

Anders, I saw that off-camber crash last year. Scary, but I totally saw the problem through your eyes. I'm having fun telling people what I'm up to...."you're gonna race that?!" (pointing at my bike with a truly scary facial expression)....So I can't back out now. I just hope I wont break too much stuff on my bike, I'm running out of money fixing this thing?! Maybe I should bring my welder.

On that note...could I have a list of what you guys carry ON THE BIKE spare and tool wise? Stupid to carry tubes, on the bike?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #218
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

On that note...could I have a list of what you guys carry ON THE BIKE spare and tool wise? Stupid to carry tubes, on the bike?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #219
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:

I think I'll probably bring a front tube solely because I'm riding there so by the end of the weekend I will have close to 1000 miles on it, but I don't suspect I will need it. I'll have nice fresh rubber on for the race.

I'll have a small tool roll I think, nothing fancy.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #220
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
:Maybe I should bring my welder.
Seriously though... a few of the car guys will have one. Don't worry. ;)

Quote:
Tubes? Anyone carry tubes? I bet someone does, but it's probably rare. Zip ties, yes. BIG zip ties, yes. Some safety/bailing wire. A few screwdrivers/hex keys/wrenches. But really, water and a energy bar.

Pretty much the guys at the front, they carry almost nothing. The guys at the back, they have the same dual sport tool kit they usually carry.

Anders
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #221
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Quote:

Anders, I saw that off-camber crash last year. Scary, but I totally saw the problem through your eyes. I'm having fun telling people what I'm up to...."you're gonna race that?!" (pointing at my bike with a truly scary facial expression)....So I can't back out now. I just hope I wont break too much stuff on my bike, I'm running out of money fixing this thing?! Maybe I should bring my welder.

I have a small toolkit with the essentials that fits into a Krega "stash-wallet". Not enough to change a tire but has a folding T-handle wrench, small vice grips, screwdrivers, etc. That and a roll of duct tape has been enough to deal with issues I have needed. I don't carry a spare tube or pump, hasn't bitten me yet. Hmmm probably shouldn't have said that out loud
Old 04-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #222
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
Seriously though... a few of the car guys will have one. Don't worry. ;)

Tubes? Anyone carry tubes? I bet someone does, but it's probably rare. Zip ties, yes. BIG zip ties, yes. Some safety/bailing wire. A few screwdrivers/hex keys/wrenches. But really, water and a energy bar.

Pretty much the guys at the front, they carry almost nothing. The guys at the back, they have the same dual sport tool kit they usually carry.

Anders
Thanks Anders. Guess I'll loose all spares on the bike, and keep them back at the car. I mean if you have to change a tube on a stage, are you really going to be able to continue? Is there a breakdown time limit???
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #223
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

If you have the nunchucks, you can force someone to change a tube for you
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #224
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Changing a tube on a stage would mean at least a half hour to an hour of combat which would basically mean I was out of it.

I only carry a minimum set of stuff on the bike, like those guys said, but I do bring along an extra tube and irons in a saddlebag in case I blow one on Friday or in between somewhere.

Its like a twenty minute rule: dont bring along any tools you will need to do a job that will take longer than ten or twenty minutes.

I do keep a battery charger, and a few other bigger things back at service. Extra oil, filters, random bottle caps and change. Lint. Shiny bits.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #225
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
If you have the nunchucks, you can force someone to change a tube for you