Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #16
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
Hey Ebbs, glad to see you on the road again!

I'll be checking in on this, so keep it coming, and as always, great pics .
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #17
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,431
Awesome! I am so glad you are able to do this ! Subscribed!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Damn, I'm cold sitting here at my desk...

reading this. Kudos to for keeping that bike upright riding in that shit. Mentally fatiging for sure.

I'm in!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Trophy1298
Easily distrac

Oddometer: 5,500
What? You're not camping? Poser!

Great RR and as always, your pics make me want to get off my ass and ride.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #20
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,085

I had a same year/color Dakar for a few years. Great report.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #21
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
You rode that route in winter ? I guess you proably didn't see any other motorcycles. ADV salute.

>"when a Bald Eagle sored up to my left.* It shadowed me off to my left for 5 or 6 corners.* Every time I looked up, it would look down at me."

Bald Eagles are part scavengers. Food is scarce in winter. I think it was waiting for you to crash.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

Oddometer: 501
Got up early and on the road by 0830 knowing that the route would be clear, and would be warmer than that I've dealt with for the last 4 days.... Well I THOUGHT. Made it about 30mins before I had to stop and warm up my hands. it was 17* in Ontario when I left. I stopped in the next town, Baker City, and bought some more toe warmers, and this time... some hand warmers. Grabbed some Subway and hit the road again at about quarter after 9. Just before I got on the bike, I got a text from my Dad telling me Cabbage Hil and the Blue Mountains require chains to be carried, and may require use. I wasn't too worried after yesterday morning, but the Law states if Chain's are required, motorcycles can't travel. I'll watch my mouth on this blog, but F*** that I'm not going back to just go around.
Turns out... I had nothing to worry about... the roads were completely clear.

The ad-hawk grip heaters worked well... so much so that I'm gonna keep a pack in my tool kit just in case (along with a set of toe warmers) my fingers still got cold... but with warm palms, all I needed to do was flex my fingers a bit, and they'd warm back up.

The ride was very un-eventful but filled with memories... The Ukiah exit, that leads to my favorite hunting grounds as a kid, Starkey. Pendleton, which has always been a favorite point along I84... no idea why, but it just really reminds me how close I am to home. The John Day and The Dalles Dams, (wanted to stop for pictures but was low on gas and wanted to Fuel up) The town of The Dalles, where my Dad went to High School and plans on retiring. Cascade Locks, and the Bridge of the Gods (though quite a bit smaller than I remember. Multnomah Falls, Crown Point. both of which I stopped to take pics, but the damn rain and fog had hit, and obscured any sight of it...
here is the last photo of the trip to Portland taken on the route to Crown Point.

So this is the end of this portion of the trip. I'll be updating less frequently over the next week and a half, but hope to gather a couple decent photos of my home city before I start the trip back to Mississippi.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
TJ Willy
ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer: 345
Nice! Great pics... and definitely a rider you are. The 01s look good in action.

Can't wait to get my 01 kitted out. Had an 03 I built but sold it... missed the bike so bad I had to replace it. If you find a proper fix for the sidestand, let me know. The hockey puck mod did not help me much. My 03 had an insert put in by previous owner... but Jesse Bags does not make the insert anymore.

Phil
SmugMug Goodness Coupon Code (GZnn7vYHaHJjg)
TJ Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Willy View Post
Nice! Great pics... and definitely a rider you are. The 01s look good in action.

Can't wait to get my 01 kitted out. Had an 03 I built but sold it... missed the bike so bad I had to replace it. If you find a proper fix for the sidestand, let me know. The hockey puck mod did not help me much. My 03 had an insert put in by previous owner... but Jesse Bags does not make the insert anymore.

Phil
Yeah the kickstand did cause me some issues... especially on the ice, as the tires wanted to slide and it almost fell over TO THE KICKSTAND side about 4 times...

gonna figure something out.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
One tuff SOB.

Man! That has been one hairy ride for sure. I have only ridden in snow like that one time and it was enough for me. Oh, and I only did it for about 45 mins. My hat is off to you brother. I am in for the rest of the trip. Ride safe.
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #26
tug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
First of all, thanks for your service.

Second- DANG!!!!!!

I bought a 03 Dakar in the summer of 11. Love the bike but have no intention of riding like you, don't think I could if I wanted to.

Great report, hope your warming up in Oregon. looking forward to the report back to Mississippi.

Safe travels,
Tug
tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #27
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,882
Nice RR and great pics, as always, Ebbs! Great to see you back on the road again!!! Keep it up and stay safe!!!
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

So I made it to Portland alright... with plans for photos and trouble shooting the bike. Very little of either happend.

Instead I spent the time with family. I hadn't seen my entire family in the same location in two years since my brother Brian's wedding in May '10. It was amazing to see them all, but it meant not much was done to entertain you guys...

Here are some photo's from my Sister's Wedding.

My brother Beau the commedian.

Keep'n the eyes on the prize, his Girl 'Ina

My baby bro John Wayne and his girfriend Courtney (she's a duck)

Behind every good man is a good woman... behind her... a stalker.

Two funniest MF'ers I know.

Brother Brian do'n what he does best.

My gorgeous Date

The Bride and Groom

Normally I wouldn't give a shit about the cake... but it wsa done by my amazingly talented date

Back to the bike.

I was able to do the HID swap, after busting the housing. I looked up what a new part was... $300 from Ron Ayers... FUCK THAT. tried super glue but no luck... so JB Weld it is... works great!

Never did get get the time to figure out what was going on with the heated grips or the fog lights. As it ended up I just disconnected the fog lights all together.

I'll be hitting the road tomorrow, just gotta change the oil in the AM. It's a short day so I probably won't leave until around 11 or so.

Anxious to hit the road again.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Great report, I would probably still be back in Utah or Nev. with all of that snow. An early Dakar like yours is my dream bike , I will have one. Thanks for the report.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #30
Ebbs15 OP
Parttime Saddletramp

I delayed it as much as I could... I hated leaving Portland. It is, and forever will be... my home. Try as I may, I never got a day to go take pictures around my city... save those captured with my own eyes, and stored in my mind.
I originally meant to leave on the 27th... I actually left on the 1st. Oh well... I've got time.

So I left on Thursday, and headed north west to Astoria. I wanted to follow hwy 101 from it's most northern point in Oregon. I decided to not take the fast route through WA, but did want to check Washington off my list.

So I cross the bridge in Astoria and took this photo

Then it was on to the Goonie house... I was disappointed they didn't leave up all the defenses... but someone actually lives there...

Then it was up to the Astoria Column. The road up is the one from the movie where Brandon rides the pink girls bike down

From here... I started having big eletrical issues... the bike wouldn't start, and my GPS would only run on battery. Luckly Astoria is built on a hill side like San Francisco, so I had no problem bump starting it. I had my tools burried in my bag so I didn't feel like dig'n down, knowing it was gonna be a long process of trouble shooting. So I stopped in Seaside for the night and started the diagnosis process. Turns out first thing I checked, the battery terminals. the POS terminal screw had backed out a little allowing the POS feeds to move. I tightened them and was good to go in 15min start to finish. I'd wished I'd just busted open my tools and checked it before booking the room... but Ciest La Vie.
Yesterday I left around 8 and headed down the 101 to Cannon Beach. this is where a lot of the Goonies was shot. in fact many of the Astoria footage was blended with Cannon Beach, like the bike previously mentioned bike race down the hill.

I couldn't get close to the beach where the rock was so this will have to do

One specifically for RDS

Then it was down to Tillamook Cheese Factory for a tour and free cheese.. YUM!! I felt like I was on an episode of "How it's made" LOL
I was also re-united with an old friend...

From there it was down to Pacific City... the place I frequented after HS, as you could park/camp on the beach so party's a plenty. LOTS of pics here, dropped the bike twice in the sand... realized just how heavy she was... DAMN

Then it was on to the south side of the Dunes... sand was MUCH dryer there so I didn't stay long

Rode on down and found a couple nice view points

I stopped at Sea Lion Caves, but unfortunatly the cave was so dark nothing turned out.

But I did see some outside too

and some more of the coast line

I finished the night in Gold Beach... wanted to catch the sunset in Port Orford but missed it by 10 mins and it was blocked by fog anyways... I pressed on into the night to get to Gold Beach.

Alright... I'm off again... sorry for the delay I'll try to be better about keeping this up to date... just having so much fun riding and take'n pics, at night I'm too exhausted to even camp.