Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I've spent so many nights up in NE Missouri, you've got to consider me a neighbor. Ha! Seriously, I have a good friend in the insurance business that grew up in Edina, MO. I'm a quail/turkey hunter and have hunted all around that part of Missouri for the last 20+ years. Too many evenings in the Blue Room to mention either.

I'm also about a year and a half away from my Alaska trip. So far there's three of us planning on going up.
Still in very early planning stages. In fact, I still haven't decided if I need to ship my bike home, so I can stay up there longer, or try and do the whole trip, up and back, in 17 days.. Decisions, decisions..
Needless to say, I'm in on this one. Looking forward to learning all about how you prepped everything, and how you decided to go where, when, etc.. Camping, hotels, how far per day. So far so good, When I went to Idaho a few years ago I wanted to do 1,500 in 36 hrs, so I spent the first night in Lusk, WY and then went through the Big Horns, and over Beartooth Pass on day two..
Keep it coming!! Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 279
Great start on the report. Sounds like you've got some good travel buddies. I agree that the Milepost is very helpful. I used mine in '79 when my uncle invited me to Alaska ( Uncle Sam that is ). Used a cage for that trip but want to do it on a bike one of these years !
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Sweet. It's always fun to read a nice Alaska ride report
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
motorider482
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Great story!
motorider482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Oddometer: 844
thanks

I appreciate the kind remarks. I had to work hard to talk myself into doing a ride report. There are so many really GOOD ones on here I thought I may be only mudding the water with my attempt. hey Wildwood, I have seen you on here a time or two. Edina is close to my birth place and I have a really good friend that is the American Family agent there now. Had a cold one once or twice in the Blue room myself. I will try not to be too long winded on this one. You know us insurance peddlers can run on and on though. Will try to interject the planning and packing process as well for those going to make a similar trip.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #21
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 552
I'm in. Nice start.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
ThereisnoSpoon
High Enough

Oddometer: 1,789
I'm subscribed! Looking forward to the rest of it.
ThereisnoSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #23
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Day Two

We had a quick convenience store breakfast and visited with a local rancher. As we neared Alliance Scott and i saw this airplane flying extremely low over the ridges. Scott thought maybe they were running the cattle off the tops to keep them from geting hit by lightning from the impending storm. The rancher says "Nah, likely they were shooting coyotes. You can see 'em really well from they plane, and ranchers sure hate coyotes" Made sense to us. We headed north to Mt. Rushmore from Alliance and shortly after getting into South Dakota you cross over a ridge that I think was called "Pine Ridge" and everything changes like you flipped a switch. Behind you is pasture land that is mixed green and brown and somewhat flat, and ahead of you it is lush green and Pine forests. In an instant. Very beautiful and memorable. About this time Scott started having some problems with his Harley Road king. There will be no Harley Bashing from me, I have owned 22 of them over the years andw will have another pretty soon I imagine. It was fuel pump related, the bike would just bog down and not run. He could stop and turn it off and it would run perfect for a while. He decided to go on up to the Harley dealer in Sturgis to see if they could find and fix the problem. I agreed to go with Wayne and Jerry to Crazy Horse then come on up to the dealer and mee4t with Scott and see what was going on. While we would be at the dealer Jerry and Wayne could visit Mt. Rushmore and get that checked off thier List.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 12:58 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

pictures

above were some buffalo when we got into the National park on our way to Rushmore. Funny thing happened when we came through here 4 years ago. Buffalo were everywhere. Mr Impatient (ME) stoppped and took a quick picture. A bit down the road Scott stopped again and took some more pictures. I said" hey you aren't going to want to stop every time we see one of the stupid buffalo are you? About then this lady gets out of her car and starts taking pictures. She is visibly excited about the buffalo and asks us "How long have you been looking for them? I say "oh about 20 seconds I guess." She tells us she had been trying to find them for 3 days.
Here is one of Crazy Horse monument. I highly recommend this place. No government funding, a project funded entirely by donation and entrance fees. The video they show at the visitor center is amazing too. This sculpter that started this and worked on it for 40 or so years is an

amazing man and story. I like it bettter than Rushmore I think.

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 01:04 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

More Day two

After Crazy Horse I headed north to Sturgis to catch up with Scott and had hoped in the hour and a half head start he had that they had got the problem with the fuel pump fixed. When I got there the dealer had the bike in the shop but had not looked at it yet. Close to two hours it had been sitting. Let me tell you Scott is one of the most patient people I know. Always has been. Me, I am high strung and Type A. I fight it, mostly unsuccessfully. To make a long story short.....I set there for 7 hours with Scott. We would ask every hour or so, any progress? I even asked, did you guys test the fuel pump pressure? They would take the bike out and ride it once in while and come back and tell us it was still bad. So after 7 hours they determine it was the fuel pump. Who would of thought that? The pump would work until the bike was under load. I will give them some credit, they manager said the book only called for 1.5 hours labor on that job and that is all they charged.
Wayne and Jerry had stopped in to see how we were coming along and we insisted they go ahead to Hardin Mt. where we had a cabin reserved at the KOA. We said we'd call one of the cell phones when we got out of sturgis and let them know when we'd cathc up, or if it would be tomorrow. They rolled Scott's Road King out at 7pm as they locked the doors. Hardin was 400 miles away. We decided we'd run a tank of gas through the bikes and see where we were. Was a nice night so we grabbed a truck stop Hot dog and slice of Pizza as we filled up. We had a blast taking turns passing each other and driving faster than we should all the way to Hardin. We got to the Cabin just shy of 1am. We banged on the Cabin door for a while and Wayne finally woke up and let us in. We were both laughing out loud at the last 100 miles of alternate passing in the cool night air. Great ride really. Here is the cabin the next morning at daylight.

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 07:51 AM
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Day Three

We had planned on maybe seeing the memorial park for the Battle of little big Horn at the end of day two but the repair changed our schedule. It was backtracking about a half hour but having been there once I wanted the guys to see it. Of all the memorials for civil War and the battles with the indians to follow, none are more the way the were at the time of the battle now than this one. So the experts say. I believe it. We rode back to Little Big Horn and grabbed anouther nutritous C-Store breakfast. While sipping our coffee and waiting for the park to open a guy pulled in on a harley FX. He was obviously distraught and confused it appeared. At first I wondered if he was drunk or hung over. Jerry asked him if was doig alright and he tells us "I was supposed to meet a buddy here this morning, and my sister called me and told me he was killed in a motorcycle wreck last night." He was a mess, and how could he not be. It was very disturbing and weighed heavily on our minds all day. Not the best way to start the day.
We pulled up to the gates of the park and it was not open yet. A guy pulled around our parked bikes to get in line. Was from Ohio. He got out of the vehicle and came back and started visiting with us and asked about my "Arctic Circle Bound" sticker. His name was Randy and he and a friend from home were planning on riding up to Alaska next year. Had a great visit and he actually called me about a month later for trip details. by the way if you ohio guys are reading this, I sent you my milepost but have lost your email address. Would like to hear from you again.
Have some more informormation for you.
Custer and 263 soldiers were slaughtered by thousands of Souix and Lakota indians here in 1876. The landscape remains mostly unchanged and it is easy to imagine how hot and dry it was for the battle. It's a sobering image the scattered grave markers and the fenced in area of "Custer's last stand".

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 08:32 AM
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

more pictures

We thought this guy sure got a funny name. He was one of the 6 most important indians of the battle. We were intrigued by the name and took a picture and then when we got inside of the visitor center where they name the important people in the battle he was o

on the board

Old 02-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

bikes

here is the first of the obligitory pictures of the 4 bikes. Wayne's 07 Yamaha Roadstar, Scott's 2000 Road King, Jerry's 96-97 Gold Wing Trike and my 95 r1100 GS. I might be off ayear on one or two of them but I am old and forgetful you know.

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 08:34 AM
Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #29
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

more of Day 3

Montana is freaking HUGE. I am embarrassed to admit I didn't take many pictures after we left Little Big Horn. We had a cabin reserved at West Glacier so we tried to make some miles leaving at about lunch time from where we woke up. Just a shade under 600 miles which is normally nothing. But Scott and I only had about 4.5 hours of sleep and I don't know about him but honestly this was a long tiring day for me. We rode west through Butte and then
Missoula and north along flathead lake up to West Glacier where I had again reserved a little Cabin. Nice folks there. I left my brand new BMW gs hat in the shower house the next morning. I went back after breakfast and it was gone. Mentioned it to the manager thinking well I wll never see it again. Showed up in the mail about two weeks later at home while I was still on my trip. Somebody turned it in later in the day. I should have took pictures along Flathead lake on hwy 93 but did not. We were trying to make miles. When we got check in that night later than planned there was only one place left to eat. This bar down the road. Biker bar. Pretty rough place. When we pulled in the "manager was in a shouting match with some shirtless drunk" Get the F*** out of here" Shoving out the door. We just all looked at one another and agreed we were pretty dam hungry. It was Saturday night so guess that kind of thing can be expected. We had a decent meal and nobody gave us any problems. Man was I ready for bed. The cabin only had 3 beds so I took the air mattress and slept great. Here is a picture on the way that day up through Montana. I honestly couldn't tell you exactly where though.

superdutyGS screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 08:55 AM
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #30
superdutyGS OP
lone rider

Day 4

Is this report alrady too long? So much to tell, I will try to be less wordy. We got up and showered and headed into West Glacier for a big breakfast and church. We all try not to miss mass, and with Jerry along, it is not an option. Scott too for that matter, we make sure we go to mass. Then we got fuel and headed into Glacier park. I was the only one that had been through there and we were all looking forward to it. Here is the cabin. We are packing the bikes back up before b'fast.
Scott
is on your right, Jerry in middle and Wayne on the left. At mass, the priest mentioned what a lovely place
Glacier is to visit. He also mentioned seeing 4 bikes parked in the ot and seeing the Arctic Circle bound sticker on the BMW. He offered a blessing for our bike and the safe travels for our journey. So as Bill Murray would say....."So I got that going for me" Glacier awaits........