Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
lineareagle OP
philomath

Oddometer: 502
So I actually did see an ortho about removing the hardware.
1. You should have it done by whoever put it in.
2. They probably won't do it either if it has been more than a year or so unless you have some MAJOR issues with it.
3. The reason is there are so may different styles and types of hardware and not everyone will have the correct stuff.
4. If you insist make sure you go to a major trauma hospital as they are the only ones that will have all the specialized equipment to take out the screws if they break off the heads.
5. He wouldn't touch it because he knows they don't have the right stuff and he isn't interested in doing battle with and making a mess of trying to remove it.

OK, well that clears things up. Guess I am in the club for the duration, hope it can be recycled after they burn away the external bits.

'06 1200 GS Adv - non A
lineareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineareagle View Post
So I actually did see an ortho about removing the hardware.
1. You should have it done by whoever put it in.
2. They probably won't do it either if it has been more than a year or so unless you have some MAJOR issues with it.
3. The reason is there are so may different styles and types of hardware and not everyone will have the correct stuff.
4. If you insist make sure you go to a major trauma hospital as they are the only ones that will have all the specialized equipment to take out the screws if they break off the heads.
5. He wouldn't touch it because he knows they don't have the right stuff and he isn't interested in doing battle with and making a mess of trying to remove it.

OK, well that clears things up. Guess I am in the club for the duration, hope it can be recycled after they burn away the external bits.

That lines up well with what I was told after mine was installed. If I break it again, it'll be a big job to fix properly, so the lesson is don't break it. Additionally, the doc who did my work has been retired for many years now, so getting him back in the OR for a bit of rework won't be easy -if its possible at all.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #33
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,452
oh here's mine btw. Not nearly as gross and messed up as some of you guys, and I hope to keep it that way!!

SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #34
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
I had pins plus an external fixation as my wrist bones were smashed, surgeon said it was like "corn flakes in there" after 3 months of sleeping with the hand suspended from the ceiling they loosened the fixation then a few weeks later removal, surgeon says 2 choices in theatre with full on book you in anaethesia etc or in my rooms no issue, how is your pain threshhold by the way, big rough tough biker I said not bad do it in your rooms etc.

I had assumed local anaesthetic or something, no nothing, first cannot find the right allen key set the fancy fixation was american with your funny imperial stuff so they get a set from theatre, undo the bolts then the 2 x 100mm long screws that go through all 4 bones in the back of my hand get unscrewed with a set of 300mm pliers, no pain I must say, but the sensation and watching it, I apparently went "a touch pale" then greenish then the 2 x through my arm and all done... next time theatre please

I later found out it was the first time he had done it out of theatre
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #35
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 252
That woulda been a great one for you tube!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #36
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
oh here's mine btw. Not nearly as gross and messed up as some of you guys, and I hope to keep it that way!!

Intra-articular distal radius fracture, right?
That's what I'm wearing a cast up to my armpit for. But, as I said in earlier post, zero hardware. I got real lucky, and smart, as I opted to NOT try to ride out of the woods and possibly knock bone fragments out of place. I'll be out of fibreglass about 1/15.

Merry Christmas!
Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 AM   #37
Noonen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
I had pins plus an external fixation as my wrist bones were smashed, surgeon said it was like "corn flakes in there" after 3 months of sleeping with the hand suspended from the ceiling they loosened the fixation then a few weeks later removal, surgeon says 2 choices in theatre with full on book you in anaethesia etc or in my rooms no issue, how is your pain threshhold by the way, big rough tough biker I said not bad do it in your rooms etc.

I had assumed local anaesthetic or something, no nothing, first cannot find the right allen key set the fancy fixation was american with your funny imperial stuff so they get a set from theatre, undo the bolts then the 2 x 100mm long screws that go through all 4 bones in the back of my hand get unscrewed with a set of 300mm pliers, no pain I must say, but the sensation and watching it, I apparently went "a touch pale" then greenish then the 2 x through my arm and all done... next time theatre please

I later found out it was the first time he had done it out of theatre
yes - mine felt like nails on a chalkboard which originated inside my wrist!
Noonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #38
xrguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
ow!

i used to work in medical machining, we turned many bone screws, made plates, nails, instruments, everything for orthopedics. it was scary enough just thinking about how the parts were used, this thread is just terrifying!
xrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #39
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I will see if I can load up some of my Xray shots...I suck at loading pics. But YES, I am a lifelong member.

I have had some of my hardware removed and a different orthopedic surgeon removed it, so unless there is some mitigating reason I am not seeing, your current surgeon is just being lazy.

I had a similar compound humerous fracture...not funny at all.

I had a 12" Ti rod implanted in the center of it with 4 screws fixing it. I was racing everyweek at the time and wanted it out eventually because rebreaking it and bending a Ti rod can cause the need for amputation...not an option. After 2 years I had it removed, there is also the issue that a femur and the humerous are BIG bones that carry alot of bone marrow which produces your red blood cells....I want the marrow more than the rod.

Twice I have had plates and screws in my neck, cervical fusion of C-5/6/7 in feb 2011 and then a refusion of C6/7 just 3 weeks ago since thet joint did not take. Now it has a 2" x 3" Ti plate and 6 screws with 6 small locating pins and a SS cage with a bone graft..

I also shattered 6 of the 7 bones in the left wrist, doc said it looked like small gravel in there, it ended up needing to be fused solid after 2 other surgeries 6 pins, 2 screws and a tendon lace up that just did not help. It still has a pin and a 2" long 1/4" screw in it.

I also have had a right A/C shoulder separation of 10cm that required 300 internal sutchers and 3" screw that has since been removed.

As a side note, I have never had trouble at the airport, most of this stuff is Ti or minimally SS which neither is magnetic. They usually use Xray machines now, you walk in, hold up your arms, they snap a shot and you are in or to a second check point. They can see it is just surgical metal...no issue.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,017
posted elsewhere but only just realized there was a heavy metal club.

metal for the foot. crappy DR650 suspension bounced out of control over ruts and i tried to stay with the bike. broke four of the five metatarsals. only five weeks in a cast this time.

can't find the photo of the metal for this one, but had a tibial nail from knee to ankle for a shattered tibia and broken fibula. came over a crest and four wheel drives had chewed the tracks into deep ruts. four months off.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 528
That last one looks similar to mine... Glad you're healed up!

I got t boned heading to lunch from work by a guy making a left turn into his yard. Apparently it was very difficult for him to see my hi viz jacket and helmet, but oh well. His bumper shattered my tibia back at the end of August, and I've been healing since. Had a cannulated tibial nail installed during the initial surgery when they removed 2.5 in of shattered bone, and had a bone graft the beginning of November to replace what was missing. Just had my 6 week xrays taken and can finally start walking with a cane, but it'll be quite a while before I'm back on a bike.

-M
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #42
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Joined the club on 8-21-12. Hit a truck bumper with my leg taking the full impact. Its Jan. 1st and still have a lot of pain and still off work. I have been back on the bike. It is easier to ride then it is to walk. More pictures here.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851937

alansz400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #43
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 806
Another club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
That last one looks similar to mine... Glad you're healed up!

-M
That looks like my right leg. except I didn't have to have a bone graft.
Broke mine in a 2010 off road MC mishap. Got a fun helicopter ride out of it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
JakePoppa
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Amazing stuff

These pictures remind me how amazing medical technology has become.
JakePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #45
Jayth
n00b

Oddometer: 6

I joined in november......

Lean it for life