Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Hemingway Butte - And Minor Off

. . . or should I say under!

Hemingway Butte trailhead in the Owyhee front. I've ridden in this area many times over the years, without incident until now, but been about 5-6 years since my last visit. Fairly remote and kind of hard riding for the most part. Weekends are really busy, but during the week. . . not this time of year anyway.

This was the maiden voyage for my new homemade hitch carrier I made. And by saying "I made", I had the idea of what I wanted and my pops-in-law did most of the work. I make a good assistant.

Most of the ride I had the camera video on, so didn't take any pitchers until after this . . .

Georgie watching the vultures circling overhead while I attempt to remove my carcass from under the TW.

I have to say it is fairly uncomfortable with my right foot pointing rearward, while the rest of me is pointing forward. Needless to say I had a fair amount of pressure on my knee! Here's the crash site after I removed myself from under the 10,000 pound TW. Felt that heavy when my leg was under it!

Georgie supervising my recovery efforts

And after I righted the TW and adjusted the windscreen.

Georgie saying hurry up lets go

I did get one "pretty picture" before I meander back to the trailhead

Its been a couple days since the ride and my knee/leg still a little sore, but no swear words were used, or broken body parts inflicted during the making of this ride!

Video with more ride footage

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Nice, Pic as you mentioned and nice footage. Looks like a very interesting ride area. Being from NY, I'm quite a distance from rugged terrain like that.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,011
I enjoyed your videos. You need to mount the camera facing the rear. I want to see Georgie's form through the whoops.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Whoa, Admiral. Sounds like the minor off won't set you back. We've all been there.

Kudos to Pops-in-law for the hitch carrier. Looks like it'll do the trick. Beats slabbin' it for hours on a TW.

Like the idea of video on Georgie through a few bumps. Cool doggie!

As always, great post. Thanks, RRR.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
TheAdmiral OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
Being from NY, I'm quite a distance from rugged terrain like that.
I don't mind the easy stuff though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
I want to see Georgie's form through the whoops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Like the idea of video on Georgie through a few bumps. Cool doggie!
Now you guy's got me thinking! I believe I can make another video of Georgie on the back. She's always up for a ride!

Prior to the off, I hit a rock with my foot. I'm glad I got some riding boots for Christmas. They work. Looked at my foot this morning and saw this little brusing. I remember my foot hitting the rock, but only felt a very slight sting for just a second. Nothing broken and hasn't even hurt. Huh, sometimes you get lucky!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,958
I enjoyed your videos too. Glad you didn't break a leg or joint! That would've been very bad out there with no help. In 2002 my teen son's took me in a Thanksgiving day trail ride. My first since before they were born. I rode a borrowed KDX200, which is a really good trail bike. 50 minutes away from the truck I broke my ankle in rocks. Sure I had the wrong boots, but I can say it was a very debilitating injury. It took both my sons help to get me out of there and back to the truck. A broken ankle is a hard injury to ride out of rough terrain.

A few weeks ago I visited my Yamaha trail bike in AZ. I spent a couple three days riding forest roads, which were easy riding except for the babyheads and ledges. They weren't hard, but the ride was rougher than I was used to. Then a local boy called DurtKlod took me on a real dual sport ride...

I made it but I wouldn't have if I didn't see what a motorcycle can ride through by following the Klod. That was amazing to me.

I'll tell you straight up, though. I think those small wheeled trail bikes are a bit of a gimmick with a false sense of tractability. After the Klod's route, I was reminded you really need a big front wheel to roll the loose rocks and boulders.

Time to replace that TW with something more suitable for your solo explorations.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote